CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Chris
Supernova
RedBedroom
CeCe
Tony Marino
9 posters

Dying in a tornado

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Dying in a tornado Empty Dying in a tornado

Post by Tony Marino Thu May 26, 2011 12:46 pm

Sorry about the morbid nature of this question.

It feels like most of the deaths from tornadoes come from the collapse of buildings, or from flying shrapnel hitting people. What happens, though, if you're out in a big empty field and it's just you and the tornado? Would you get sucked up into the air by the wind and dropped back onto the ground from a great height? Blown sideways and tumbled along the ground until your body gets too banged up to keep working? Might you just get blown to the side of it and turn out okay?

Would there be a survival strategy in this situation, like balling yourself up tightly, going limp and letting it throw you around (to minimize bone breakage), or flattening yourself onto the ground?

CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Dying in a tornado Empty Re: Dying in a tornado

Post by CeCe Thu May 26, 2011 1:21 pm

I hope to never find out but I'm guessing a person would be out of luck.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu May 26, 2011 1:31 pm

I would think that the best thing to do would be to just go limp.

My God Daughter's uncle was in a tornado. But he was in his trailer house and it was picked up and thrown across the road. Both he and his bird did survive it with little injury. Pretty remarkable.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu May 26, 2011 1:34 pm

I've often wondered myself what would happen for a person to just get sucked up in one. On the radio today there was a man who was in his pickup and it got picked up and he survived and said it felt like being rattled around in a sardine can but at the time he didn't know what had happened, an eyewitness told him he'd been in the tornado.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Thu May 26, 2011 2:03 pm

Tony Marino wrote:Sorry about the morbid nature of this question.

It feels like most of the deaths from tornadoes come from the collapse of buildings, or from flying shrapnel hitting people. What happens, though, if you're out in a big empty field and it's just you and the tornado? Would you get sucked up into the air by the wind and dropped back onto the ground from a great height? Blown sideways and tumbled along the ground until your body gets too banged up to keep working? Might you just get blown to the side of it and turn out okay?

Would there be a survival strategy in this situation, like balling yourself up tightly, going limp and letting it throw you around (to minimize bone breakage), or flattening yourself onto the ground?

I wonder. My guess is that if someone gets sucked up by a tornado in an empty field, it would carry them quite a ways until it eventually sucked something else up that violently collides with them. Or it may violently throw them to the ground and kill them.

Good question though. Definitely one for someone who studies natural disasters.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Thu May 26, 2011 3:31 pm

I would think with all that tossing around that you would more than likely die unless it spit you out real quickly.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu May 26, 2011 9:41 pm

I think it sucks you up and spits you back out. Definitely nothing I'd ever want to experience.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu May 26, 2011 9:48 pm

NY pretty much has it.

http://www.tornadoproject.com/cellar/tttttttt.htm

Could a person actually get sucked up into the tornado?
    Most people killed by tornadoes have been blown sideways, with only a small vertical movement. "Sucked up" is not really an accurate description of being caught in air that is rushing towards the vortex. As soon as debris is carried upward, it is usually spun out of the vortex. Centrifugal force throws things out. To get lifted high, something would have to stay in place through the 100-200 mph winds at the edge of the vortex, and whatever was holding it in place would have to release it at the point in the vortex of maximum upward velocity. Only a very small percentage of all debris is carried aloft, but in rare cases, as in the the Pampa, Texas video, cars and trucks can find their way into that maximum uplift area. It is messy business inside the naturally occurring blender that is the tornado.

How likely is that to happen? Has anyone ever gotten lifted up and carried a ways?
    Yes.

How far?
    The longest distance is about a mile.

Did they live or not?
    The man died shortly after rescuers found him. This happened on May 1, 1930, in Kansas.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri May 27, 2011 1:35 am

Chris wrote:I wonder. My guess is that if someone gets sucked up by a tornado in an empty field, it would carry them quite a ways until it eventually sucked something else up that violently collides with them. Or it may violently throw them to the ground and kill them.

Good question though. Definitely one for someone who studies natural disasters.

That would be my worry, too!! I really don't know what I'd do.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Fri May 27, 2011 2:03 am

I'd rather just go to Cedar Point.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content