CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Alan Smithee
Cheaps
Supernova
Nystyle709
Shale
Chris
10 posters

Would you rather be in: a tornado or a hurricane?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Would you rather be in: a tornado or a hurricane? Empty Would you rather be in: a tornado or a hurricane?

Post by Chris Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:23 am

If given the choice between having a tornado swoop down on your neighborhood, or a hurricane, which would you prefer?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Would you rather be in: a tornado or a hurricane? Empty Re: Would you rather be in: a tornado or a hurricane?

Post by Shale Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:39 am

I've been in hurricanes. I'm still alive.

Tornados are more deadly when they hit you, so I guess I'll stay with the status quo.

Now the scary thing are those big hurricanes that drag tornados along with them.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Would you rather be in: a tornado or a hurricane? Empty Re: Would you rather be in: a tornado or a hurricane?

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:48 am

I dunno, hurricane winds ain't no joke. I guess I'll go with them though.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:49 am

We're in tornado alley, so I've lived through a couple of them, including one that destroyed our home 19 years ago. And, I'd like to point out, I don't know what the significance of this is but I just realized something, they don't name tornadoes, but they do hurricanes, why is that?
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:52 pm

i guess tornado
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:54 pm

I think I'd rather take my chances with a hurricane. Supernova, try this on for size:

Hurricanes (as well as Cyclones and Typhoons) take a substantial amount of time to build up and develop. During that time they can be tracked and monitored as they gradually head off towards a potential target. There are comparatively few per season and they are sufficiently significant to treat as individual events.

Tornados develop very quickly and last a comparatively brief amount of time. A single tornado is capable of inflicting damage on a much smaller scale and in a more limited area. Though victims of a tornado might face tragedy, the scale of damage is minute compared to the potential damage of a hurricane.

Hurricanes are named and tracked because they are bigger and more significant...and because they exist long enough to be identified. Tornados exist only very briefly and are gone soon after they come in to being. Professionals monitoring tornados do name and number them, but the general public doesn't have reason to use those names and numbers.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:56 pm

Hurricane. Boston gets them frequently.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:I think I'd rather take my chances with a hurricane. Supernova, try this on for size:

Hurricanes (as well as Cyclones and Typhoons) take a substantial amount of time to build up and develop. During that time they can be tracked and monitored as they gradually head off towards a potential target. There are comparatively few per season and they are sufficiently significant to treat as individual events.

Tornados develop very quickly and last a comparatively brief amount of time. A single tornado is capable of inflicting damage on a much smaller scale and in a more limited area. Though victims of a tornado might face tragedy, the scale of damage is minute compared to the potential damage of a hurricane.

Hurricanes are named and tracked because they are bigger and more significant...and because they exist long enough to be identified. Tornados exist only very briefly and are gone soon after they come in to being. Professionals monitoring tornados do name and number them, but the general public doesn't have reason to use those names and numbers.

Maybe, but I can't help but think, how long did it take for everybody to recover from Katrina? And the only tornado I can think of for several years that the damage compares is this last bunch of them in Joplin, you don't really hear about damage from tornadoes being as severe as some of the horror stories coming out of the south's storms in recent years.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:46 pm

Supernova wrote:
    Alan Smithee wrote:I think I'd rather take my chances with a hurricane. Supernova, try this on for size:

Maybe, but I can't help but think, how long did it take for everybody to recover from Katrina? And the only tornado I can think of for several years that the damage compares is this last bunch of them in Joplin, you don't really hear about damage from tornadoes being as severe as some of the horror stories coming out of the south's storms in recent years.

Right. So why would they give the same signifigance to tornadoes by naming them?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 am

Supernova wrote:

First of all, Katrina was only a category 3 hurricane when it hit New Orleans. It wasn't as powerful when it hit land. The only thing it did was crack the leeves, which flooded the city. People were recovering from Katrina because the response was low, not because of the hurricane itself.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:39 am

I have survived a hurricane so I would pic a hurricane.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:57 pm

Forgive my ignorance....but what's the difference?
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:24 pm

I think a tornado, if I had a safe place

Marc - here's what I know about the differences:

Hurricanes form over water - usually tropical water as the water needs to be warm - and move over the water, gaining strength and speed. Though they can hit land with quite an impact, the force can't be sustained over land, so the storm will then loose force, but can created a LOT of damage and destruction just by hitting the coast. Hurricanes can also be huge and very... wide - or maybe spread-out is better.

Tornadoes form on land and are usually very concentrated. Where a Tornado touches down, damage will occur - think funnel cloud. They also aren't as wide - something like maybe a mile or two, but more often not as big.

Hurricanes can last for several days, while tornadoes don't last that long. Hurricans can also produce huge waves and come with huge storms and lots of rain whereas a tornado might have rain, but not always. Winds can also be stronger in tornadoes.

I remember being told yeas ago that one of the main differences is that hurricanes form on water and tornadoes on land - that sufficed for me until I got into some of the more advanced sciences in high school Smile
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:06 pm

Tornadoes can strike without much warning but you should have days to prepare or evacuate for a hurricane unless you're on an island. I have more of a choice not to be around for the hurricane.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:12 pm

Recently with the warmer water we have had these 'popup' hurricanes, right at the coast in th Gulf. Like just one or two days warning - not the usual week of tracking.

Little tornadoes form over water, we call them water spouts. If they last to land they can become a tornado. A few years ago we had a small tornado go right downtown Miami with fotos.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:52 pm