CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+10
CatEyes10736
Shale
Nystyle709
MandyPerfumeGirl
Forgiveness Man
Supernova
CeCe
Alan Smithee
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
Chris
14 posters

‘Dr. Death’ Jack Kevorkian dies at age 83

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

‘Dr. Death’ Jack Kevorkian dies at age 83 Empty ‘Dr. Death’ Jack Kevorkian dies at age 83

Post by Chris Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:55 pm

‘Dr. Death’ Jack Kevorkian dies at age 83

‘Dr. Death’ Jack Kevorkian dies at age 83 Kevorkian-edit-021

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/dr-death-jack-kevorkian-dies-at-age-83/2010/12/03/AGhktuHH_story.html

Jack Kevorkian, the feisty doctor who campaigned for the legalization of euthanasia and aided in more than 130 physician-assisted suicides, passed away Friday in a Detroit hospital.

Nicknamed "Dr. Death" by the media, Kevorkian never held back his unconventional views about death and "the right to die."

He even served eight years in prison and was arrested a handful of times for helping his patients commit suicide between 1990 and 2000 -- using carbon monoxide, injections and even a "suicide machine" built from scraps.

He claimed to only assist those who had terminal conditions such as multiple sclerosis, malignant brain tumors and ALS.

Do you support Jack Kevorkian's cause: physician-assisted suicide?
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

‘Dr. Death’ Jack Kevorkian dies at age 83 Empty Re: ‘Dr. Death’ Jack Kevorkian dies at age 83

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:01 pm

I do support physician-aided suicide. It's just a matter of regulation, conditions and price.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

‘Dr. Death’ Jack Kevorkian dies at age 83 Empty Re: ‘Dr. Death’ Jack Kevorkian dies at age 83

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:11 pm

"It was peaceful. He didn't feel a thing," Morganroth told the newspaper. According to the Associated Press, he said nurses played classical music by Kevorkian's favorite composer, Johann Sebastian Bach, before he died."

I'm glad he didn't require his own services because he wouldn't be allowed to get them. Still, that picture of him smiling next to his death contraption looks a little too creepy. He looks like a kid who just got a train set for his birthday.

CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:43 pm

alan smithee wrote:"It was peaceful. He didn't feel a thing," Morganroth told the newspaper. According to the Associated Press, he said nurses played classical music by Kevorkian's favorite composer, Johann Sebastian Bach, before he died."

I'm glad he didn't require his own services because he wouldn't be allowed to get them. Still, that picture of him smiling next to his death contraption looks a little too creepy. He looks like a kid who just got a train set for his birthday.

Of course we have no way of knowing what was being said at the moment it was taken but yeah...a little bit.

He was ahead of his time. It's just shameful he was incarcerated. His desire to alleviate suffering & allow people to make the choice for themselves was not only admirable but humane.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:51 pm

Good riddance.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:54 pm

Supernova wrote:Good riddance.

jaw dropz
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:30 pm

To me, he's just a murderer with an excuse that's fooled a lot of people. Not humane or admirable. Not really happy that he's dead, but not really going to mourn him as a great humanitarian either.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:18 pm

Wow, I didn't know he died - where have I been? Anyway, I do support physician-assisted suicide. I agree with Dr. K on the "the right to die" stance. If you have to go, why not go peacefully without a pistol in your mouth? I honestly think that Dr. K was in this for the right reasons and that he helped a lot of people come to a peaceful end, and I think that's admirable.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:41 pm

I wouldn't call what he did assisted 'suicide'. But in any case, wow.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:42 pm

It's not murder either.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:46 pm

Rockbird wrote:It's not murder either.

Next time.....I'd advise you to to ask instead of assuming. I never said it was 'murder'. I actually agree with his position with assisting the terminally ill. I just wouldn't call it assisted 'suicide' in the negative sense that the media uses to portray him.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:48 pm

If you don't want to be misunderstood, don't put up vague comments and cop an attitude when people react to it.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:06 pm

Rockbird wrote:If you don't want to be misunderstood, don't put up vague comments and cop an attitude when people react to it.

LOL. Nothing I said was vague. I said I wouldn't call it assisted suicide and that's just what I meant. Like I said before, I'd advise you to ask before you assume. It's much better for you. You should know better. And learn how to quote while you're at it.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:21 pm

CeCe wrote: ...He was ahead of his time. It's just shameful he was incarcerated. His desire to alleviate suffering & allow people to make the choice for themselves was not only admirable but humane.
    co-signs
    He will someday be exonerated by public opinion and be seen as the visionary of our time. We do for animals what we deny to humans. That is mindless, sick and cruel - Oh, we might say Christian, since it is the church that insists humans suffer before they die.

So, we end up with ppl having to make the choice to off their loved one and necessarily doing themself at the same time to avoid life in prison. My wife died of ALS, and it would have been so nice if we could have all said our good bye and let her go gently into that good sleep. But she had to suffer the indignities of muscle loss until her heart was finally silenced.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:22 pm

Nystyle, I'm rolling my eyes so hard, they're about to fall out. If you have anything else you'd like to say, send it to my PM box. Thank you.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:23 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:I wouldn't call what he did assisted 'suicide'. But in any case, wow.
    Then, precisely what would YOU call it?

That was a rather vague response.

Am I to assume that you did not like Dr. Kevorkian for some reason?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:30 pm

Rockbird wrote:Nystyle, I'm rolling my eyes so hard, they're about to fall out.

Word? I wouldn't want that.

If you have anything else you'd like to say, send it to my PM box. Thank you.

Now why would I do that?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:36 pm

Shale wrote:
    Nystyle709 wrote:I wouldn't call what he did assisted 'suicide'. But in any case, wow.

I'd call it a doctor helping a terminally ill patient end his suffering. People put negative connotations on the word 'suicide'. Which is why they portrayed him the media as a monster and in a negative light. THAT'S why I wouldn't call it assisted 'suicide'. I don't refer to a terminally ill person no longer wanting to suffer and asking to be put out of their misery 'suicide'. But that's just me.

IYSS. I said exactly what I meant. If you aren't sure, then ask for clarification.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:35 pm

Shale wrote:

Not particularly, I'm just a mean person. twisted
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:04 pm

Supernova wrote:
    Shale wrote:

Not particularly, I'm just a mean person. twisted

According to my mother I ALWAYS look like I'm in a bad mood.

So she be right.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:23 pm

Chris wrote:Do you support Jack Kevorkian's cause: physician-assisted suicide?

In cases that are terminal, with the dying patient requesting to be put out of their pain, I sure do.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:18 am

Murder is to kill someone with malice afterthought, which is in no way what Kevorkian did. Anyone who considers him a "murderer" has no idea what the term means.
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:54 am

^ +1
    stonestatic
    stonestatic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 24

Post by stonestatic Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:56 pm

I hate that "Dr death" crap

He helped terminally ill people who were in physical agony and psychological torment AND who personally came to him wanting his medical assistance to end their life. It isn't as though he was sniping people from tall buildings.

A good man he was.
    Dan70
    Dan70
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 6

Post by Dan70 Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:52 am

I actually got to meet the man -- he was tried in our city for one of his "projects" and the case ended up in a mistrial due to the antics of his attorney.

He was one of the creepiest persons I ever met; he also seemed to enjoy people dying to the point of watching physical reactions, documenting them with photos, etc. It was his own actions that resulted in him going to prison for he went from assisting people to die to killing one.

As for what is right or wrong; I watched my sister, grandmother, and a brother-in-law die of cancer. There was no dignity at the end of their life and I wish it had been legal to give them the medication and allow them to end their lives.

I will give Kevorkian a compliment that he raised the issue; I just think his zealousness and methods did as much damage as it helped.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:08 pm