CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
CeCe
RedBedroom
Forgiveness Man
Chris
9 posters

Should the right to cross dress be protected in the work place?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should the right to cross dress be protected in the work place? Empty Should the right to cross dress be protected in the work place?

Post by Chris Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:05 am

If someone is a pre-op transsexual, do you think that they should be allowed to dress in opposite gender attire while in the workplace?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Should the right to cross dress be protected in the work place? Empty Re: Should the right to cross dress be protected in the work place?

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:53 am

Not if their boss has a problem with it.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Should the right to cross dress be protected in the work place? Empty Re: Should the right to cross dress be protected in the work place?

Post by RedBedroom Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:22 am

This is such a hard one to answer because the way I really feel isn't them most fair way to feel. I think that because some men are so new to dressing and looking like a woman, their appearance may be less than stellar so an employer may not like to have somebody so unattractive in the workplace. But, that said, I know it opens me up to sounding like I think employers should discriminate on looks.

Just that of the pre-op guys I have seen, they look so awkward because they don't do make up well, yet over do it with the make up.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:24 am

Chris wrote:If someone is a pre-op transsexual, do you think that they should be allowed to dress in opposite gender attire while in the workplace?

Absolutely.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:22 am

Yes, of course. In order to even get surgery, aren't you required to live as the other sex for a year?

I have a lot of friends who are transsexuals, and I hate that they have so many less rights than everybody else.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:20 pm

I'm leaning towards no.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:16 pm

I think that needs to be addressed during the interview stage and an understanding needs to be reached about it from the start that Steve is living life as Stephanie, and whether or not that would be a problem.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:20 pm

Of course they should have a right. That's why anti-discrimination laws are in place. If someone is doing their job, what's the problem?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:46 pm

tmontyb wrote:Of course they should have a right. That's why anti-discrimination laws are in place. If someone is doing their job, what's the problem?

Definitely. Whether or not the person does their job is the only thing that should matter. Finding conflicting info on the length of time required but it appears they do have to complete a "real life test" or "life test" first. What I saw varied from 3 months to 1 year where they need to live as a male or female, depending. It's unfair to expect them to behave differently 40 (or however long) hours a week so other people can be "comfortable". The person is having the surgery so people might as well get used to the idea.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:42 pm

Marc™ wrote:I think that needs to be addressed during the interview stage and an understanding needs to be reached about it from the start that Steve is living life as Stephanie, and whether or not that would be a problem.

ITA with this, though if the person has been at the job for a number of years, it might not be possible.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 1:34 am