CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
Shale
Supernova
Forgiveness Man
Chris
9 posters

Do you think cursive handwriting should continue to be taught in schools?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Do you think cursive handwriting should continue to be taught in schools? Empty Do you think cursive handwriting should continue to be taught in schools?

Post by Chris Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:55 am

What do you think, should schools continue to teach cursive handwriting to kids?

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/27919714/detail.html#ixzz1PAA2eWR8

No More Cursive Handwriting?
    Water Cooler Question For May 17, 2011

Do you think cursive handwriting should continue to be taught in schools?

Our children are not taught cursive, only print. Do they print their signature? Technology could create what their signature would be had they been taught to write in cursive. You should not put all your eggs in one basket, versatility has always been what makes our society unique. You should "never" rely on one thing when there are other options. -- Sandy/Woodlawn.

My generation was taught that cursive was the standard of adults We drilled it for hours in 2nd and 3rd grade...and then promptly never used it again. It's a waste of classroom time that can be better spent on improving literacy and math scores. Very pretty, but ultimately not needed. -- Lennie, Pasadena

Yes. I definitely think that handwriting should continue in ENGLISH!!!! EVERYONE should know how to write!

Tech education is fine but do we really want to lose the art of communication. I do believe the written word is a necessary part of life. -- Pat in Baltimore

How can these students read the original US Constitution, the letters of George Washington, Lincon, Thomas Jefferson, Franklin, Einstein, etc in their original writings? Or should 'TEXT' talk be the new standard for communication in the United States? -- Jim, Rosedale

Of course children need to learn cursive in school. They will still need to write using a pen/pencil - what are the schools thinking? They need to learn technology also, but most kids know more about the technology of today than parents. Writing does help children learn more than just cursive.

I think with the other pressing issues in the State of Maryland, whether kids learn cursive or not is just not that important. Kids should be learning to read in ENGLISH, math, SOCIAL Studies, AMERICAN History and the ENGLISH language! Who cares about how they write if they can't read it? Robin, Pasadena

My 8 year old son brought up an important point that without knowing cursive you would not be able to read the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution! -- Denise (Perry Hall)

My nephew, going to school in Washington County, already seems to not be learning cursive. He is just graduating from the 5th grade and prints all of his work. Despite technology making the art of writing obsolete, I believe it is still necessary to teach and learn cursive. It can not only be a beautiful, personal, and thoughtful way of corresponding but at some point, people will have to have a “signature”. Printing your name should not be considered as your “signature”. Who knows what will happen in the future – why cripple our young people now with eliminating a tried and true method of learning? Connie in Ellicott City

Really? No. it's getting down right ridiculous how much we keep taking away from school. At most it should be an elective, but not removed. -- Doug

Yes, I believe cursive handwriting should be taught in school. Along with socialization skills, respect towards other people, please and thank you, and keeping active! Oh wait, most of those should be taught at home by their parents! Maybe parents need a class in "how to" before wanting a child in this world! -- Bob - Stewartstown, PA

My first reaction to the proposal to end the teaching of cursive writing in schools was disbelief. What will technology have us DELETING next from education? Perhaps spelling since spell check is available on all computers. -- Nancy, Queenstown

From Our Friends On Facebook:

Katie Hill: Sadly, some school districts (State of MD schools?) Teach for MSA test. So, cursive handwriting isn't on that test, therefore no cursive handwriting.. sad, sad, sad.

Vernika Branch Getbetterintime: Yes, my daughter is 10 n i just found out that her class hasnt learned it yet ....i started to learn @ 7 in 1st grade.

Bob Noll: Yes, I believe cursive handwriting should be taught in school. Along with socialization skills, respect towards other people, please and thank you, and keeping active! Oh wait, most of those should be taught at home by their parents! Maybe parents need a class in "how to" before wanting a child in this world!

Gregg Plapas: I am going with NO. I use to win handwriting awards when in school, and evereyone always admired my penmanship. When I got my first job, the first thing my boss told me was "Print no cursive". Today, the only cursive I use is on my check signature, and I am 58.

Michael Jones: I think both should be taught. There are times that a certain style is needed over another, especially "payroll" signature but once learned use at own will.

Rick Paolino: Yes it still should be taught; there are still times we need to write oppose to type.

Jean Roberts: YES! What in the world?! Why not? Maybe I'm just too "old school", but I think cursive writing should continue to be taught in schools.

Mary Baldwin-Lathroum: You have to be able to sign your receipt at a store when you make a purchase. Anyone can print your name!! more people will be stealing identities when all you can put there is an. X like in the old days. They also dont teach the kids to tell time on a regular clock. I was told they dont need it BUT all the clocks in the schools are still made that way.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Do you think cursive handwriting should continue to be taught in schools? Empty Re: Do you think cursive handwriting should continue to be taught in schools?

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:46 am

They stopped teaching cursive? Since when? FORGIVENESS MAN I got cursive in school (teachers hated mine but w/e FORGIVENESS MAN), and I haven't been out THAT long.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Do you think cursive handwriting should continue to be taught in schools? Empty Re: Do you think cursive handwriting should continue to be taught in schools?

Post by Supernova Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:03 am

I've written in cursive ever since I learned it in 3rd grade. It's the first nature of my writing, to only print is either for quick shopping lists, or else it's very awkward. And I am in correspondance with Patch Adams who every postcard he sends is written in tiny cursive...wouldn't to quit teaching kids how to write it also be to quit teaching them how to read it too? Because when you don't know it, it looks like a whole other language. Then how would they know what somebody who DOES use cursive was writing because there ARE people left in the world who DO write that way.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:24 am

You never know when you will be drafted to take minutes at a meeting. I never went to college and never got in the habit of taking notes during lecture - don't even know if that is done any more in this electronic age - but because of my command of the language I was volunteered to take minutes at all our meetings.

Now ppl have suggested that I could tape the meeting, but how to discern all the voices AND I would have to endure the same two hours of drivel all over again. So, I sit there and write down almost verbatim what is said around the table in my fast nearly incomprehensible cursive (I transcribe it the same day because when it gets cold I can't even read it).

So, unless everyone is taut how to use a steno machine or some other assistive electronic, cursive is still used in many situations. And, as mentioned - which child knows if a future vocation would require them reading ancient cursive records. It is a skill worth imparting to all children.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:40 am

^^^^Teaching kids to write in cursive and teaching them to read cursive strikes me as two very different skills. FORGIVENESS MAN
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:02 am

It breaks my heart that cursive is slowly being rendered obsolete. It's because of computers and texting for sure.

What people don't realize is that writing in cursive is technically faster.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:03 am

Yeah they should never stop teaching it cause we all gotta have our own siggy someday.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:25 am

And you would think people would be wondering about that, when you sign something they call for both signature AND print, and you gotta wonder what the people who send out those forms think when they come back and the sig and print are both the same. If they figured both would be the same they probably wouldn't insist on both to begin with.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:26 pm

I absolutely think they should be teaching it. You're going to be signing your name for the rest of your life.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:56 pm

I should hope they keep teaching it. I still need to put pen to paper. Well, when civilization comes crashing down and we don't have keyboards anymore, at least I'll be able to find work as a scribe.
    femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Post by femme fatale Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:42 pm

My elementary school teacher would force us to write in cursive. We had those half-length lined papers and we had to practice writing our names using the lines. If we made certain letters too high or too low on the lines, she'd take mad points off lol. I hated it then, but now my cursive is perfect. It's too bad that most kids now aren't learning it.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:41 pm

Indeeeeeeeed, one of my neighbors when he was a kid, this was 10 years ago, his mother said 'he doesn't need to learn writing because everybody types on computers', yes and that very summer I bought a collection of Fright Time books off of Ebay, and the seller mailed them with a small, computer printed note thanking me for the business, and she used a cursive font for everything, so apparently the excuse of everybody uses computers doesn't cut it either.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 6:37 am