CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
Chris
Nhaiyel
RedBedroom
Forgiveness Man
Impact
TSJFan4Ever
Supernova
Shale
Jason B.
13 posters

Should Creationism be taught in public schools?

Poll

Should creationism be taught in public schools?

[ 0 ]
    Should Creationism be taught in public schools? Bar_left0%Should Creationism be taught in public schools? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 7 ]
    Should Creationism be taught in public schools? Bar_left88%Should Creationism be taught in public schools? Bar_right [88%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Should Creationism be taught in public schools? Bar_left12%Should Creationism be taught in public schools? Bar_right [12%] 

Total Votes: 8
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Should Creationism be taught in public schools? Empty Should Creationism be taught in public schools?

Post by Jason B. Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:32 pm

What do you think should creationism be taught in public schools? Why or why not?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Should Creationism be taught in public schools? Empty Re: Should Creationism be taught in public schools?

Post by Shale Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:38 pm

NO

It is mythology not based in science but the teachings of certain religions.

If they teach craationism, they should also teach Astrology and Alchemy.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Should Creationism be taught in public schools? Empty Re: Should Creationism be taught in public schools?

Post by Supernova Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:43 pm

I'm a little fuzzy on the term, it's not one that I've heard until recent years. By creationism is that to say 'God created everything, the universe, the planets, the plants, the animals, the people, etc' or is there more to it than that?
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:32 am

There's a lot more to it than "God created...". The teacher/professor I had the most respect for was the one who not only shared the scientific theory of where we came from, but also shared the creation stories of various nations. It was a history class (university) and he said that we were going to go right back in history to the beginning. He brought in someone from the geology department who shared the geological history and then the following class he went on to share creation stories from different cultures and nations.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:43 am

TSJFan4Ever wrote:... shared the creation stories of various nations. It was a history class ... He brought in someone from the geology department who shared the geological history and then the following class he went on to share creation stories from different cultures and nations.
    Yes, that is a legitimate class where this kind of stuff can be taught. It is part of history, just like all the other mythologies in the world.

In fact I have always appreciated the evolutionary progression in Genesis. Whoever wrote that was very observant of life, wrote of the plants first then sea life and finally life on land.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 am

Yeah - our prof shared the Christian creation story but he also shared the Australian one, or one of them, a variety of First Nations stories, as well as stories from other nations. I just wish I'd been able to remember them all. I remember one in particular that told how the people had come out of a clam shell. There's actually a carving of that story in one of the airports - a huge clamshell with people peeking out of it.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:12 am

Creationism is a religious philosophy and that's a no-no for public schools.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:42 am

I'm sort of indifferent to it. In theory, I guess it should be kept to religious schools, but public schools teach a lot of other crap to kids they got no business teaching so might as well just toss creationism in there. FORGIVENESS MAN And of course ID should be taught as theory as well since in regards to the origin of the species, it's all scientifically just theory. So cover it all. Razz
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:54 pm

No, but I don't think that any teacher should tell young children that it is wrong. I am sure that many teachers struggle with this particular topic.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:59 pm

It shouldn't be taught, per se, but I don't think schools need to shy away from acknowledging either Creation or Evolution. Both are universally known (even if not universally-held) theories. Let people buy into whatever explanation they feel most comfortable with.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:00 am

(Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:40 am

Creationism should not be taught in schools. However I do think that perhaps a course in religious history could be appropriate in public schools. It's such a big part of this world, and were it perfect, children would have the right to choose their own set of beliefs. I think a lot of bigotry and religious separation has to do with ignorance. If there were a year-long course that objectively and briefly ran down the list of religious theory and questioning, I think that would be a good idea. But just Christian-based Creationism? Fuck no. Talk about obvious agenda.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:47 am

Supernova wrote:I'm a little fuzzy on the term, it's not one that I've heard until recent years. By creationism is that to say 'God created everything, the universe, the planets, the plants, the animals, the people, etc' or is there more to it than that?

That's just what it means. "Creation" being the Big Bang/Adam-Eve opposed to the theory of "Evolution" (man evolving from apes.)
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Should Creationism be taught in public schools? Empty What Some Ppl Learn in Sunday School

Post by Shale Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:10 am

bump

I just saw this on FB and had to share. If anyone ever considered that creationism is even in the same universe of scientific theory of our existence, then they should move to Tennessee where the inbred thinkers deny all facts and sell fantasy as reality.

Should Creationism be taught in public schools? 252777_488171854541580_369055467_n

Let Wiki run it down for you that this is actually serious and not some sarcasm as we would like to believe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_Museum

I cannot believe that these nutcases are actually arguing with real educators that this shit should even be allowed near a school much less taught in a class other than creative writing for fiction movies.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:47 am

Teach it as comparative religion, philosophy, anthropology but not science.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:34 pm

One of the South western Native Americans believe that the great spirit baked people in in an oven, one group turned out too light, they got tossed across the ocean, another group was burned and they were tossed in what today is Africa, the last group turned out just right and they stayed right there. The Zuni's believe they lived in the center of the earth and one day climbed out of a big hole to live life on the outside of the earth. Who's creation would schools teach?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:48 pm

Shale wrote: bump

I just saw this on FB and had to share. If anyone ever considered that creationism is even in the same universe of scientific theory of our existence, then they should move to Tennessee where the inbred thinkers deny all facts and sell fantasy as reality.

Should Creationism be taught in public schools? 252777_488171854541580_369055467_n

Let Wiki run it down for you that this is actually serious and not some sarcasm as we would like to believe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_Museum

I cannot believe that these nutcases are actually arguing with real educators that this shit should even be allowed near a school much less taught in a class other than creative writing for fiction movies.

I wish I could say that's surprising, but having grown up in the south I know all too well. I heard the "good enough for Paul", "Jesus used the KJV", "the language in the KJV is closest to the way Jesus spoke" ELIZABETHAN? blank stare @ you

Even if you step back from some of the crazy ideas, they can't even agree with themselves. If they could why would christianity need so many separate denominations? Then there are all the OTHER religions of the world. Those views would have to be included. Any kind of religious notions about the world are better taught in church, at home or a religious school but not the public school setting.

How did this all come to be? You know...there's not a damn thing wrong with saying "We don't know."
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:43 pm

Suzi wrote: Who's creation would schools teach?
    My point exactly.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:57 pm