CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

2 posters

My Friend Joseph - The Extra on Hard Times

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

My Friend Joseph - The Extra on Hard Times Empty My Friend Joseph - The Extra on Hard Times

Post by Shale Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:25 pm

For those into old movies, here is my connection to Hard Times.
    (Joseph and I were occasional lovers before I met Jim) I wrote this essay in 2009.

My Friend Joseph - The Extra
    Back in 1975 I had a friend, Joseph who lived with me or others in our group on occasion and who survived by doing odd jobs or creative stuff.

He got a gig as an extra on a movie shooting in New Orleans - Hard Times with Charles Bronson.

Of course we all went to see this movie, expecting a glimpse of Joseph on screen. I was surprised at how much screen time he got for this non-speaking part. He was mugging the camera in the bayou fight scene where Chaney (Bronson) beats the other fighter promoted by Mr. Pettibon (Edward Walshe) and gets ripped off by him. Joseph was holding the prize money for Pettibon when they refused to pay it to Speed (James Coburn).

I just got a DVD and saved some of these scenes off the monitor screen.

My Friend Joseph - The Extra on Hard Times 1975JosephHardTimes05web

It is the only pic I have of Joseph - back when we were young. (I was surprised at how cute he was - but at the time I knew that). He took pix of me and Jim that I have today, as well as artistic fotos of New Orleans. He was very creative.

I have no idea where he is today or even if he is still alive.

Time Travel & Technology

Sometimes the impact of technology hits me when I go back into these periods of my life. When this movie came out in 1975 a bunch of us in New Orleans went with Joseph to see it in theater. That was the only option back then.

There were not even mag-tape Video Home Systems at the time - we were just using 8-track audio tapes. VHS would be a couple more years.

Joseph (and I) couldn't imagine then that I would ever go "online" and "Google" Hard Times and find a "DVD" of the movie to be mailed to me in an envelope after purchasing it with my Visa card.

Or that I would play that DVD on my "personal computer" and take a digital foto off the monitor to post on a "Web page."

Joseph and Charles Bronson
    My Friend Joseph - The Extra on Hard Times 1975JosephHardTimes04aweb

The technology at that time was still film, which we understood and which Joseph did very well with. He used to make art fotos with a pinhole shoebox camera - black and white prints from paper negatives that he would hand color.

He also had a real camera and set up a little outdoor foto studio in the French Market to do portraits. He did a set for me and my partner Jim. Mine was on a bad hair day and looks like Charles Manson, but the one of Jim was very good.

My Partner Jim - Foto by Joseph
    My Friend Joseph - The Extra on Hard Times 1973JimHewittNOtxt
    And Me
    My Friend Joseph - The Extra on Hard Times 1973RobNewOrleanstxt
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

My Friend Joseph - The Extra on Hard Times Empty Re: My Friend Joseph - The Extra on Hard Times

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:14 pm

Out fucking standing! When I saw Hard Times in the title I thought you were referring to something recent that I hadn't heard of but it reminded me of the Charles Bronson movie. I love that film! I'm going to pay closer attention the next time I get a chance to see it. "Well, you know Chick, like old momma said, next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 12:26 pm