CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+18
Jason B.
Shale
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
CeCe
TPP
AtownPeep
Forgiveness Man
tmontyb
CatEyes10736
Supernova
RedBedroom
Dan70
Nhaiyel
ThePayback
Nystyle709
kinetic
Marc™
Chris
22 posters

Should the drinking age be lowered to eighteen?

Poll

Should the drinking age be reduced to 18?

[ 5 ]
    Should the drinking age be lowered to eighteen? - Page 2 Bar_left29%Should the drinking age be lowered to eighteen? - Page 2 Bar_right [29%] 
    [ 12 ]
    Should the drinking age be lowered to eighteen? - Page 2 Bar_left71%Should the drinking age be lowered to eighteen? - Page 2 Bar_right [71%] 

Total Votes: 17
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Should the drinking age be lowered to eighteen? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the drinking age be lowered to eighteen?

Post by TPP Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:40 am

Rockbird wrote:That place is called Ireland.

BA DUM PSH!

lol big grin

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Should the drinking age be lowered to eighteen? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the drinking age be lowered to eighteen?

Post by Supernova Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:47 am

It does make sense though. Anne Frank drank wine when she was 13, she didn't become an alcoholic because of it.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:54 am

Dan70 wrote:Allowing 18 year olds to legally drink would spike up the # of drunk driving crashes and fatalities. When I was younger I would have argued for lowering the drinking age, but I now see why it's 21. Adulthood comes in dribbles and drabs. Someone can't be a child for 17.9 years and then on their 18th birthday they're suddenly a fully functional adult, capable of handling full grown adult responsibility. The human brain doesn't reach full maturity until around age 22/23. Let someone grow a little further into their adulthood than 18 before we start allowing them to shrivel their liver.

co-signs
    I totally agree with this.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:57 am

Supernova wrote:It does make sense though. Anne Frank drank wine when she was 13, she didn't become an alcoholic because of it.

My more "European" minded friends let their kids have wine for special occasions. Not a bunch of glasses, but like, one very small glass. My parents never really had alcohol around the house, only a wine cooler very rarely, but they did let me taste wine cooler when I was like 10 or something.

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:09 am

Jason B. wrote:
    Dan70 wrote:Allowing 18 year olds to legally drink would spike up the # of drunk driving crashes and fatalities. When I was younger I would have argued for lowering the drinking age, but I now see why it's 21. Adulthood comes in dribbles and drabs. Someone can't be a child for 17.9 years and then on their 18th birthday they're suddenly a fully functional adult, capable of handling full grown adult responsibility. The human brain doesn't reach full maturity until around age 22/23. Let someone grow a little further into their adulthood than 18 before we start allowing them to shrivel their liver.

co-signs

People say raising the DRINKING age limit is going to solve part of the drinking and driving problem, why not raise the DRIVING age limit too? After all if they're not adults just because they're 18, they can't be trusted to be emotionally mature or to be responsible while they're behind the wheel of a 2,500 pound vehicle on the open road with other cars and pedestrians.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:39 am

thepossiblepolice wrote:What if it weren't limited by the law at all and people could "teach" their kids to drink responsibly from childhood?
    Yeah, the US seems to be really hung up on taking parental rights away from making these decisions about responsible consumption of alcohol.

While in Mexico with my grandson, I bought him a cervesa to celebrate his 16th B'day on Marzo 22, 2007.

Should the drinking age be lowered to eighteen? - Page 2 200703-22cozumelmexcervesaweb

(OMG the boy turns 20 hoy!) And, I would be arrested for buying him a beer for his 20th B'day in Miami.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:16 pm

Supernova wrote:
    Jason B. wrote:

co-signs

People say raising the DRINKING age limit is going to solve part of the drinking and driving problem, why not raise the DRIVING age limit too? After all if they're not adults just because they're 18, they can't be trusted to be emotionally mature or to be responsible while they're behind the wheel of a 2,500 pound vehicle on the open road with other cars and pedestrians.

It's not the same thing. Operating a motor vehicle is a skill, one that can be learned (and properly maneuvered) by a certain young age. Unlike alcohol, it doesn't impair judgment.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:25 pm

Chris wrote:What does everyone think about the magical number being "21?" Should it be lowered to eighteen, or stay as it is?
    Being over 21 and allowed to purchase and consume alcohol as I please, this really doesn't much concern me. However, I will say that I think there should be a standard age at which the law determines that someone is either an adult or a child. So whatever age they determine that to be, whether it's 21 or 18, I think that the law should be consistent.

I will also say that in the US an 18 year old is allowed to take part in politics that shape our nation, is allowed to fight and die for his/her country, and is ultimately held accountable under the law for their own actions. That in mind, I think it's kind of a hypocrasy to suggest that such a person is too much of a child to be legally allowed to consume alcohol. The legal drinking age in MOST developed, western nations typically falls somewhere between 16 and 18 years old. The only three social and secular democracies that have a legal drinking age higher than 18 are Canada (18/19 depending on the province), Japan (20) and the US (has the highest at 21). Usually, the strictest nations on alcohol use are the Islamic nations, which really only goes to show that the more religion gets involved with politics, the more of an influence it has on laws such as these.

Last edited by captainbryce on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:28 am

Not at all. 21 years old is still a very young age, and a majority of young adults do not know how to handle their alcohol consumption. As has been already mentioned, lowering the drinking age to 18 will

a) increase the incidents of drunk driving.
    b) increase incidents of underage drinking. Everyone knows that despite the law 18-19-20 year olds drink, but 21 year olds don't on average hang out with high school kids the way 18 year olds do. Hell, some are still in high school themselves.

It should remain 21.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:23 am

Impact wrote:Not at all. 21 years old is still a very young age, and a majority of young adults do not know how to handle their alcohol consumption.
    That our society deems "young adults" capbale of handling deadly weapons (military) but not "alcohol" seems rather two faced to me. It's also a rather broad assumption that isn't universally true. In Germany, the law says that 16 year olds know how to handle their alcohol consumption. Are Germans physically and mentally more evolved than Americans?

Impact wrote:As has been already mentioned, lowering the drinking age to 18 will

a) increase the incidents of drunk driving.
    b) increase incidents of underage drinking. Everyone knows that despite the law 18-19-20 year olds drink, but 21 year olds don't on average hang out with high school kids the way 18 year olds do. Hell, some are still in high school themselves.

It should remain 21.

a) then howcome this hasn't been evident in German (a country known for excessively high speed limits or no speed limit at all in certain areas), or in most other European countries that have a lower drinking age?

b) that argument is akin to saying that marijuana is a "gateway" drug. It's based on a paranoia and isn't scientific in nature. Again, 16 year old's are allowed to drink in most democracies. They don't appear to struggle with "underage drinking" or "drunk driving", so I don't buy that the drinking age has some kind of effect on either.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:10 am

I don't either, because you know who I always hear about getting arrested for DUI? People in their 50s, so what, are 50 year olds suddenly too young to know how to drink responsibly? No, it's not the age, it's the people they are because if you're an irresponsible person at 18, being 3 years older is not magically going to change it, because clearly being 40 years older doesn't change it either.
    2xy
    2xy
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 22

Post by 2xy Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:22 am

captainbryce wrote:However, I will say that I think there should be a standard age at which the law determines that someone is either an adult or a child. So whatever age they determine that to be, whether it's 21 or 18, I think that the law should be consistent.

This.

I will also say that my 15yo has enjoyed wine with dinner on occasion. My 19yo has no interest, but the 15yo is a foodie and if we have a nice bottle of wine with our salmon, he wants to experience it. I don't think he's ever had enough to even get a buzz....maybe 2-3 oz. He just likes the flavors.
    RiteDiva
    RiteDiva
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by RiteDiva Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:41 pm

I'm completely against the drinking age being reduced to 18. Alcohol ain't going nowhere, they can wait those extra little three years.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Here's another thing to consider, in Canada the drinking age is 19...now I personally haven't been able to find anything to compare America's drunk driving statistics against Canada's, does anybody know if their rates compare with ours or are they lower, higher, what?
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:38 pm

In Canada 1,278 fatalities involve impaired driving yearly; in the US there are 15,387 yearly; per capita, the US has more despite having a higher drinking age than in Canada!
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:58 pm

It would seem the drinking age being 2 years lower in Canada isn't doing them any harm, is it? So it's not the age that makes the bad driver or the incompetent drunk, would somebody like to guess again what it is and why we need our limit 3 years higher than the adult age?
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:24 pm

Supernova wrote:It would seem the drinking age being 2 years lower in Canada isn't doing them any harm, is it? So it's not the age that makes the bad driver or the incompetent drunk, would somebody like to guess again what it is and why we need our limit 3 years higher than the adult age?
    **crickets chirping**
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:29 pm

I went to Canada on my honeymoon so I could legally have a drink with my husband, lol.

I guess it should be lowered. I don't really care that much about it after all, now that I think about it.

I wonder what is different about Canadian culture that leads to less drunk driving? Are they a "car culture"?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:13 pm

And it's like I said before, the only people this is going to stop from drinking at 18 are law abiding citizens, but everyone else who doesn't give a damn about the law and will do whatever they want, they're going to drink anyway and still get behind the wheel of a car; and given that there seem to be quite a bit of the latter kind of teens today, I really can't see how much good the age limit is doing.

If I'd been allowed to drink at 18, I would've done it then like I do now, one or two small drinks and that's it, and I would never have driven afterwards, of course at 18 I wasn't driving anyway; and I'm well aware quite the opposite is true with most other teenagers, but I digress. I don't know what the answer is because I would like to think all or most teenagers DO know what risks are involved with drinking, and if they know it and don't care anyway, how CAN you make them care?
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:20 pm

Supernova wrote:And it's like I said before, the only people this is going to stop from drinking at 18 are law abiding citizens, but everyone else who doesn't give a damn about the law and will do whatever they want, they're going to drink anyway and still get behind the wheel of a car; and given that there seem to be quite a bit of the latter kind of teens today, I really can't see how much good the age limit is doing.

If I'd been allowed to drink at 18, I would've done it then like I do now, one or two small drinks and that's it, and I would never have driven afterwards, of course at 18 I wasn't driving anyway; and I'm well aware quite the opposite is true with most other teenagers, but I digress. I don't know what the answer is because I would like to think all or most teenagers DO know what risks are involved with drinking, and if they know it and don't care anyway, how CAN you make them care?

I don't think you can...I'm literally the only person that I know(IRL) who is an adult, who didn't drink and drive as a teenager. I'm still the most strict about it and always end up being the designated driver because of it.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:25 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:
    Supernova wrote:And it's like I said before, the only people this is going to stop from drinking at 18 are law abiding citizens, but everyone else who doesn't give a damn about the law and will do whatever they want, they're going to drink anyway and still get behind the wheel of a car; and given that there seem to be quite a bit of the latter kind of teens today, I really can't see how much good the age limit is doing.

I don't think you can...I'm literally the only person that I know(IRL) who is an adult, who didn't drink and drive as a teenager. I'm still the most strict about it and always end up being the designated driver because of it.

Well I'm a bit luckier in that regard because my mother has never drank in her life, so she never did that, and my brother's the same way, he's never gonna drink, so he'd never be a drunk driver, and I got a neighbor kid who has his license and he doesn't drink, but they don't drink either and don't have the money to afford a luxury like beer, and my niece is 18 and has been driving for a couple of years but she's in TFC and she doesn't drink either, she's a good girl, the best one I've known since my mother.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:00 am

http://www.learn-about-alcoholism.com/statistics-teenage-drunk-driving.html

-Teenage drunk driving kills eight teens every day.

In 2003, 31% of teen drivers who died in car accidents had been drinking.

40% of alcohol-related fatal car crashes involve teens.

60% of all teen deaths in car accidents are alcohol related.

A teenage boy with a blood alcohol concentration of just 0.05 (well below the amount considered “legally drunk” in most states) is 18 times more likely to suffer a single vehicle crash than his non-drinking counterparts. And a teenage girl is 54 times more likely to crash!

http://www.psychologytoday.com/rss/pto-20030805-000001.html

A study has found that roughly 16 percent of boys and 19 percent of girls may suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), major depressive episodes, or substance abuse. Witnessing violence, physical abuse or sexual abuse significantly increased the risk of all three disorders.
    So we've already got the stage set for disaster, let's add alcohol to the mix.

If we had to make a choice, I'd rather raise the age of enrollment in the army to 21 rather than dropping the drinking age to 18. However, being 18 years old and having the right to vote, join the military, etc., etc. are completely different from consuming a controlled substance. An 18 year old kid who joins the military is trained to be a solder. An 18 year old who votes is as free as a 40 year old to live on their own, and therefore has a right to voice an opinion about whose policies will help shape the society that he can exist in as an adult.

Alcohol affects your whole entire system: mind and body, and if handled improperly, it also weakens judgment. 18 year olds are in the final stages of adolescent development and on average are more naive, impetuous and immature than 21 year olds.

All the freedoms and responsibilities shouldn't hit a young adult at the same time. Try one out and get used to it, then try on another.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:53 am

A study has found that roughly 84 percent of boys and 81 percent of girls may NOT suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), major depressive episodes, or substance abuse. Witnessing violence, physical abuse or sexual abuse significantly increased the risk of all three disorders (but in a significant minority of children).

Statistics can often be misleading. It all depends on the spin.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:14 pm

Impact wrote:http://www.learn-about-alcoholism.com/statistics-teenage-drunk-driving.html

-Teenage drunk driving kills eight teens every day.

In 2003, 31% of teen drivers who died in car accidents had been drinking.

40% of alcohol-related fatal car crashes involve teens.

60% of all teen deaths in car accidents are alcohol related.

A teenage boy with a blood alcohol concentration of just 0.05 (well below the amount considered “legally drunk” in most states) is 18 times more likely to suffer a single vehicle crash than his non-drinking counterparts. And a teenage girl is 54 times more likely to crash!

http://www.psychologytoday.com/rss/pto-20030805-000001.html

A study has found that roughly 16 percent of boys and 19 percent of girls may suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), major depressive episodes, or substance abuse. Witnessing violence, physical abuse or sexual abuse significantly increased the risk of all three disorders.
    So we've already got the stage set for disaster, let's add alcohol to the mix.

If we had to make a choice, I'd rather raise the age of enrollment in the army to 21 rather than dropping the drinking age to 18. However, being 18 years old and having the right to vote, join the military, etc., etc. are completely different from consuming a controlled substance. An 18 year old kid who joins the military is trained to be a solder. An 18 year old who votes is as free as a 40 year old to live on their own, and therefore has a right to voice an opinion about whose policies will help shape the society that he can exist in as an adult.

Alcohol affects your whole entire system: mind and body, and if handled improperly, it also weakens judgment. 18 year olds are in the final stages of adolescent development and on average are more naive, impetuous and immature than 21 year olds.

All the freedoms and responsibilities shouldn't hit a young adult at the same time. Try one out and get used to it, then try on another.

That's an interesting idea, raising the age instead of lowering it. I don't think that it would ever happen though...

Although when I was a kid I got my drivers license at 16 and was allowed to drive legally where ever and when ever, and now that doesn't happen in our state until 18 so I guess things do change.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:59 pm

Impact wrote:
    18 year olds are in the final stages of adolescent development and on average are more naive, impetuous and immature than 21 year olds.

However if an 18 year old joins the army and gets in, he's not getting back out, and if he's shipped into the middle of the war, he may only come back from that in a body bag, whereas if he has a beer and doesn't like it, he can stop. Or even if he does like it, nobody's got a gun to his head saying drink a whole cube of beer; while you are sober you ARE capable of making the choice not to overindulge, otherwise 18 year olds would probably all eat themselves to death like baby chicks.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:48 am