CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

Favorite movie stunts

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Favorite movie stunts Empty Favorite movie stunts

Post by Supernova Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:20 am

You've really got to hand it to stunt people but you really have to applaude the actors who do their own stunt work instead of handing all the dangerous stuff off to someone else. It reminds me of something Burt Ward (Robin)said about when he and Adam West did the Batman series in the 60s. He had a stunt double, but the motto seemed to be whenever there was something dangerous to do, use Burt! And so he and Adam were both in and out of the hospital quite a bit during filming, especially from breathing in the yellow smoke for the bat gas.

But I digress, what stunts from movies particularly stick out for you?

One that I'll never forget is Buster Keaton on the handlebars of a riderless motorcycle in Sherlock Jr., and you have to keep in mind he was actually on that thing and was steering it WHILE seated on the handlebars. I have never heard of something like that before and I've noticed you never hear of anybody trying to recreate that either, so I think that says something:

Another great one from Sherlock Jr. was the one where he got his neck broken, but this is what I find so amazing, anybody who's seen this film...I couldn't find a clip of it, he's on top of a moving train and trying to run to the end of it and he grabs hold of a water tower's spout and about 70,000 gallons of water pour down on him and knock him to the ground, and he broke his neck doing that and he didn't know it for 10 years! We should all be so lucky!

And I think his most famous stunt is this one from Steamboat Bill Jr.

The wall coming down at 1:44 is really the most memorable part but all of this, it couldn't have been any easy task because the fans they were using to create the storm created gusts so strong that the cameras had to be weighted down and an armored truck was blown over. But that wall really could've been the end of him because it was a 2 ton wall, and it was explained in the documentary BOOM! Hollywood's Greatest Disaster Movies, that he had to position himself SO precisely, were he off by 2 inches in any direction he would've been killed.

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:10 pm