Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp?

Go down 
+4
Forgiveness Man
Alan Smithee
Supernova
RedBedroom
8 posters
AuthorMessage
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp? Empty
PostSubject: Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp?   Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp? EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 9:54 pm

I tend to lean toward, "if they signed up, they go no matter what (less illness)". However, there are stories in the news of kids getting very sick in outdoor practices in the heat. Coaches should certainly make the best judgement calls when it comes to what drills to do when it is very hot out.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp?   Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp? EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 10:03 pm

I don't think so. I think it's idiotic when ADULTS run around in all that padding in triple digit weather for a game, some get heat stroke and some die, and we want kids to be subjected to that, for what, sportsmanship? Teamwork? Health is more important than a game. In this current weather we don't go out anymore than we HAVE to, there would be no way we'd compete in some game in that kind of weather either.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp?   Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp? EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 8:07 am

RedBedroom wrote:
I tend to lean toward, "if they signed up, they go no matter what (less illness)". However, there are stories in the news of kids getting very sick in outdoor practices in the heat. Coaches should certainly make the best judgment calls when it comes to what drills to do when it is very hot out.

I can't speak for the modern era but when I played youth sports, I have grave doubts that the coaches were trained properly about things like heat stroke. Likewise for the "physical" we received before the season. "Turn your head and cough" is insufficient.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp?   Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp? EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 8:41 am

I'm pretty against it. Kids should never be forced to practice sports, IMO. And especially not in the extreme heat of summer. My kid's health is more important than a stupid ball game that probably won't give them nearly as good a workout as people think.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp?   Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp? EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 8:43 am

Not in extreme heat.....no
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp?   Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp? EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 8:52 am

It is stupid and should by now be understood that you do not subject humans to rigorous activity with high heat & humidity.

And, this is not some new science. When I went into the Air Force in the summer of 1963 at basic training in San Antonio, there were 'red flag' days when the base commander ordered only inside activities. No drills out in the heat. Apparently even the military understood heat stroke. (Wonder how many recruits had to die before the hardliners were ruled over)

So, I would raise hell hotter than that heat wave right now if my kid was forced to practice in it. I assume the school districts on advice of their lawyers if not the health dept. will stop it.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp?   Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp? EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 2:46 pm

No. It's not that serious IMO. In severe weather conditions, practice should be called off if it can't be done indoors.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp?   Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp? EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 2:52 pm

Absolutely not. Extreme heat can kill. Any coach who enforces this needs his or her employment status reevaluated.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp?   Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp? EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 4:14 pm

CeCe wrote:
Absolutely not. Extreme heat can kill. Any coach who enforces this needs his or her employment status reevaluated.

And their head checked.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp?   Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp?
Page 1 of 1