Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice?

Go down 
+6
Alan Smithee
wants2laugh
Supernova
Chris
RedBedroom
femme fatale
10 posters
AuthorMessage
femme fatale
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
femme fatale

Female
Rep : 46

Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice? Empty
PostSubject: Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice?   Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice? EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 4:57 am

I know somebody that works in HR and has said that when they get resumes with ethnic, hard to pronounce or "ghetto"-sounding names, often times their resumes are immediately disregarded. Should women take that into consideration when they go out of their way to be "different" when it comes to naming their kids?
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice?   Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice? EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 5:07 am

I don't agree with that regarding first names. A 25 year old did not choose her name. I would despise to think that anyone in HR would look at first names and gauge that person on that. Applicants do come with resume or job app.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice?   Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice? EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 8:17 am

When parents name their kids, they're more focused on coming up with something that has a special meaning to them; not so much a future hypothetical. If someone has a harder to pronounce name, and considers it a hindrance in the workplace, then they can always shorten or simplify it. One of my co-workers full name is Boccaccio, but he is referred to as 'Chico' at work.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice?   Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice? EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 10:39 am

It's funny because I was going to ask everybody when it comes to their kids or future kids, did/would they go with more typical, common names like Mary, John, David, Sarah, Ashley, Elizabeth, Billy, etc., or something a bit less common?
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female
Rep : 87

PostSubject: Re: Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice?   Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice? EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 10:49 am

Well, I was a blue eyed blond as a child. my mother gave me a norwegian name... and NO ONE got it right during my school years and it drove me nuts! I had to correct everyone. It was really aggravating when i would receive special awards in school and they would mispronounce the name. My last name is german which throws people for a loop too, so the entire name comes out wrong! There were times that i did not even know they were calling on me!

People need to thing about THAT! But when i got married i did not change my name--- I can trace my family back 400 years, i only knew my husband 2 years before we got married, why should i change who i am? lol
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice?   Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice? EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 10:56 am

I think the only disservice is the parent is ensuring the child will have their name misspelled and mispronounced for the rest of their life. Especially if they decide on some unique spelling of an otherwise common name.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice?   Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice? EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 12:02 pm

Well, my name isn't all that popular, but I don't think it's ghetto either. I do think parents should be mindful when choosing their child's name. I can get with a little creativity, a little ethnicity but you know in general when a name is too ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice?   Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice? EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 7:56 pm

Supernova wrote:
It's funny because I was going to ask everybody when it comes to their kids or future kids, did/would they go with more typical, common names like Mary, John, David, Sarah, Ashley, Elizabeth, Billy, etc., or something a bit less common?

My fiancee and I are trying to not go bland, but we're not looking to name the baby something that would make people go 'huh?' either.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice?   Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice? EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 8:24 pm

Even common names can have probs for the anal retentive sticklers who insist you sign like on your birth certificate.

I go by Rob, named after my uncle Robert. But, they called him Bob and someone must have said that to the person making the birth certificate. IDK the story but my birth certificate officially had me as "Bobbie"

OK that was cute for a kid up to six years old, but what about wearing a business suit and signing Bobbie on official documents? Luckily I had opportunity to legally change my name as an adult to Robert, which is what it should have always been.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice?   Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice? EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 8:48 pm

Chris wrote:

My fiancee and I are trying to not go bland, but we're not looking to name the baby something that would make people go 'huh?' either.

I imagine it can be a delicate balance between names every other kid has & ones that are unique without being bizarre.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice?   Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice? EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 8:59 pm

CeCe wrote:

I imagine it can be a delicate balance between names every other kid has & ones that are unique without being bizarre.

Unless you're a celebrity and then you can be as creative as you like. ROFLMAO!
Back to top Go down
Nhaiyel
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Nhaiyel

Female
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice?   Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice? EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 11:53 am

Depends on how ridiculous the name is. I have a "unique" name. It's not 'ghetto,' nor is it hard to pronounce (or to sound out), but it is different. It's actually pretty rare that people misspeak it.

I never had problems getting a job. The credentials on my resume speak for themselves (and my references back it up.) I wouldn't want to work for an employer who would pass someone up on the basis of having an atypical, ethnic…or ethnic-sounding…name.
Back to top Go down
http://www.musicfanclubs.org/aaliyah/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice?   Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice? Empty

Back to top Go down

Are parents that name their kids something nontypical, peculiar or "unique" doing them a disservice?
Page 1 of 1