'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard' Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard'

Go down 
+3
Nystyle709
GrayWolf
Supernova
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard' Empty
PostSubject: 'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard'   'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard' EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 10:59 pm

What's everyone's opinion about this? My WHOLE life I was told 'don't sleep with your door locked because if there's a fire, you'll be trapped in there'. Really? How? If there's a fire and the door's locked, I just have to pull the latch up and the door will open. And the only way I can be trapped would be if the fire is right by the door in which case you'd be trapped anyway. Personally, I don't get it, does anyone else?
Back to top Go down
GrayWolf
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
GrayWolf

Male
Rep : 36

PostSubject: Re: 'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard'   'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard' EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 11:10 pm

Not sure but I think the fire could melt the metal, or at the least the lever can become too hot to touch when trying to open it. I'm all for closing my door shut at night, but I really have no reason to lock it.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: 'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard'   'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard' EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 11:23 pm

GrayWolf wrote:
Not sure but I think the fire could melt the metal, or at the least the lever can become too hot to touch when trying to open it. I'm all for closing my door shut at night, but I really have no reason to lock it.

Yep.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: 'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard'   'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard' EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 1:42 am

Well the doorknob's made out of metal too but nobody ever says anything about that.
Back to top Go down
Cheaps
Cheaps

Female
Rep : 252

PostSubject: Re: 'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard'   'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard' EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 5:24 am

Never heard that, I sleep with my door locked. Something I've always done.

I'm assuming bedroom door.

Front and back doors to the house ALWAYS get locked too. Are you referring to the main doors of your house/apt too?
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: 'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard'   'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard' EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 10:38 am

It's not that you'll be the one trapped inside. It's that your bedroom window may be the emergency escape route so people can't get in (to get out). If your door knob gets so hot that you can't touch it, being locked won't make a difference.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: 'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard'   'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard' EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 11:51 am

I always go to bed with my bedroom door locked, its a habit I brought over from childhood. If I need to escape I can go through one of the windows. If there was a fire near the door I would on reflex grab a blanket or something before I touched the door knob or unlocked it. Besides if its that hot means the fire is close by the door and I would not be able to get out that way.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: 'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard'   'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard' EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 11:53 am

Alan Smithee wrote:
It's not that you'll be the one trapped inside. It's that your bedroom window may be the emergency escape route so people can't get in (to get out). If your door knob gets so hot that you can't touch it, being locked won't make a difference.

Well that is not my case because nobody in this family ever plans to go out a second floor window in case of a fire, especially since all bedrooms have direct access to the stairs.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: 'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard'   'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard' EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 2:23 pm

Supernova wrote:

Well that is not my case because nobody in this family ever plans to go out a second floor window in case of a fire, especially since all bedrooms have direct access to the stairs.

That's fine. Push your dresser up aginst the door too and baracade yourself in while you're at it Shrugs (Oh well…) . I've never lived in an apartment or house that had locks on a bedroom door. I've got more to worry about than fire if I feel the need to lock my bedroom door to keep something out.
Back to top Go down
Jason B.
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Jason B.

Male
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: 'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard'   'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard' EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 11:37 pm

Supernova wrote:
What's everyone's opinion about this? My WHOLE life I was told 'don't sleep with your door locked because if there's a fire, you'll be trapped in there'. Really? How? If there's a fire and the door's locked, I just have to pull the latch up and the door will open. And the only way I can be trapped would be if the fire is right by the door in which case you'd be trapped anyway. Personally, I don't get it, does anyone else?

Actually I never heard that. When it comes to fire safety, I don't see much difference between locking and just closing. Maybe the people who told you that just didn't want you to lock your door?
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: 'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard'   'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard' EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 1:20 am

Jason B. wrote:

Actually I never heard that. When it comes to fire safety, I don't see much difference between locking and just closing. Maybe the people who told you that just didn't want you to lock your door?

Eh, maybe, I know it certainly wasn't for the reason they'd have to come into my room to get out, because when I was a little kid when they first started saying that, I had a large window unit fan bolted into my window, there would've been no getting out that in a hurry for anything.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: 'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard'   'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard' EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 2:03 pm

Supernova wrote:

Eh, maybe, I know it certainly wasn't for the reason they'd have to come into my room to get out, because when I was a little kid when they first started saying that, I had a large window unit fan bolted into my window, there would've been no getting out that in a hurry for anything.

Then maybe if you slept in a room with a large, unobstructed window they wouldn't have told you not to lock your door. Was the door lock one of those that if the key was removed, the door was locked from both sides? That would make sense but with modern locks the hazard is still greater for the people outside the room.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard'   'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard' Empty

Back to top Go down

'Sleeping with your door locked is a fire hazard'
Page 1 of 1