CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

2 posters

Anonymous

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Anonymous Empty Anonymous

Post by Shale Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:57 pm

Anonymous
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    October 28, 2011

The scholars and historians are already lining up on this one - and it seems there has always been conjecture as to who actually wrote many if not all of Will Shakespeare's plays.

This movie opens in the modern day, where a scholarly gentleman (Derek Jacobi) takes the stage in a theater and starts the narrative about how William Shakespeare never wrote a word. We are backstage, watching the actors in period costume getting ready for a performance and as the central character goes running in the rain carrying a bundle in his arms we are transported to 17th Century London on the night in 1613 when the Globe Theatre burned. The man is Ben Jonson (Sebastian Armesto) a playwright and associate of Will Shakespeare.

We will later find out what it was he stashed in the doomed theatre, but first we have a flashback to five years and soon after there will be flashbacks within flashbacks which left me a bit lost where I wished I had a program to keep up.

If you watched the two Elizabeth movies and The Other Boleyn Girl as I have, you will understand the deadly intrigues that played out in the Tudor family and the English/Scottish thrones of the period. That is all included in this movie, tho I think the other three movies tried to follow actual history, whereas this one is "disputable."

A quick rundown of this story; Edward de Vere, the Earl of Oxford (Rhys Ifans) likes to write. However, he has been raised and married into the Puritan family of William Cecil (David Thewlis) who is the Queen's advisor. So, Edward contacts Ben Jonson to pass his plays off as his own. Ben is hesitant to do so, seeing as how the writing is out of his league.

Edward de Vere, the Earl of Oxford
    Anonymous Anonymous-mv-8

At this point another temporal shift and we are back many years when Edward (Jamie Campbell Bower) is a young nobleman meeting Princess Elizabeth Tudor (Joely Richardson) at a ball.

Anonymous Anonymous-movie-image-joely-richardson-01-600x302

It seems the Earl has quite some intimate history with the "Virgin" Queen and I guess that is just backstory in the castle intrigue.

Anonymous Anonymous-mv-6

So, back to Shakespeare (Rafe Spall). You know he was an actor who is performing these plays Ben gave him that are bringing down the house. The crowd is calling for the author and when Ben is reluctant to step forward, Will jumps in and claims to have written them.

Actor William Shakespeare - Writer of Plays
    Anonymous 94968_br

This goes undisputed by Ben or Edward so the ruse continues. The Earl of Oxford continues his passion for writing, Will Shakespeare gets the accolades and the castle intrigues play out (which I am not going to tell you about so you can enjoy them unfolding)

I really enjoyed this movie - but I am partial to these period costume dramas. Whether there is any merit to the conspiracy theory that Will Shakespeare did not write what bears his name is possible.

But, there is always that perplexing Psalm 46 in the King James Bible. Who did that?
    JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 4

Anonymous Empty Re: Anonymous

Post by JWF Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:27 am

I saw "Anonymous" and "The Rum Diary" as part of a double feature. I'm trying to decide which film is among the worst film I've seen in 2011. Not easy picking! So I'll go with a tie.

There have been many films that use factual events and spin on the reality factor. No problem! But "Anonymous" which implies Shakespeare was the front for all those plays, was actual written by the Earl of Oxford. Who wasn't able to accept credit, because of some ridiculous family reason.

If your headed in that direction, at least, the story needs to be convincing. That is, if your able to follow a confusing script.. More over, your facts need to be factual. The Earl died before much of Shakespeare's work was written. And if Shakespeare is the front make him look somewhat intelligent. In this tale he comes across as a buffoon.

Even if you distance yourself from realty it's hard to buy into it.

1/5 (stars)

Jack
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:46 pm

JWF wrote:
    ... More over, your facts need to be factual. The Earl died before much of Shakespeare's work was written. ...

On that point, the Earl did give all his yet unperformed works to Ben Jonson, so the plays and the ruse could have gone on posthumously.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 9:58 pm