CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Alan Smithee
Chris
6 posters

Is it right to blame television/film for misbehavior in children?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Is it right to blame television/film for misbehavior in children? Empty Is it right to blame television/film for misbehavior in children?

Post by Chris Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:09 am

Do you think television and film are ever culpable in influencing misbehavior in children? If a kid emulates something dangerous he saw on TV, should the producers bare any responsibility?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Is it right to blame television/film for misbehavior in children? Empty Re: Is it right to blame television/film for misbehavior in children?

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:42 am

Chris wrote:Do you think television and film are ever culpable in influencing misbehavior in children? If a kid emulates something dangerous he saw on TV, should the producers bare any responsibility?

In influencing? Yes. Those who made it being culpable or responsible? No. OzzY Osbourne being sued over teenage suicides was bullshit.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Is it right to blame television/film for misbehavior in children? Empty Re: Is it right to blame television/film for misbehavior in children?

Post by Supernova Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:04 am

People praise TV when it has a positive influence on kids, it would be asinine to say that it can't do the opposite. They can definitely pick up the wrong things from TV, which is why there are parents, to put their feet down and straighten their kids out about what's acceptable and what isn't.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:53 am

Alan Smithee wrote:

In influencing? Yes. Those who made it being culpable or responsible? No. OzzY Osbourne being sued over teenage suicides was bullshit.

Is it right to blame television/film for misbehavior in children? 35166 The ultimate person responsible is this kid and sometimes the parents.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:21 pm

No, not really. Not unless each generation of kids are getting "stupider".

When I was a kid we had shows like 'The Three Stooges', and I don't ever remember children trying to poke each other's eyes. In the end, that responsibility falls on the parents.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:40 pm

Bluesmama wrote:No, not really. Not unless each generation of kids are getting "stupider".

When I was a kid we had shows like 'The Three Stooges', and I don't ever remember children trying to poke each other's eyes. In the end, that responsibility falls on the parents.

Although, mothers did speak up because they were worried their kids would poke each other in the eyes; which is why Moe went on to explain to the kids how the trick was done to show nobody really got hurt. And there were parents who asked psychiatrists if the 3 Stooges was damaging to the children; one psychiatrist replied it was not and that her kids all watched the Stooges.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:27 pm

Supernova wrote:

Although, mothers did speak up because they were worried their kids would poke each other in the eyes; which is why Moe went on to explain to the kids how the trick was done to show nobody really got hurt. And there were parents who asked psychiatrists if the 3 Stooges was damaging to the children; one psychiatrist replied it was not and that her kids all watched the Stooges.

Interesting. I don't remember all that concern at all, and my mom sure wasn't. About the only thing I "copied" was Curly's floor fit where he'd lie on his side and do circles (it worked well with my hyper-activeness).

Quite frankly ~ considering the paranoia of parents ~ I'm surprised that 'The Stooges' are still in syndication.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:30 pm

Bluesmama wrote:

Interesting. I don't remember all that concern at all, and my mom sure wasn't. About the only thing I "copied" was Curly's floor fit where he'd lie on his side and do circles (it worked well with my hyper-activeness).

Quite frankly ~ considering the paranoia of parents ~ I'm surprised that 'The Stooges' are still in syndication.

My brother and I used to do that spinning around too, I shall have to try it again someday. Incidentally, Moe explained once in later years, that Curly did that, and other things like chomping his teeth or hitting himself in the head, when he would forget his lines and he would drop on the floor, spin around and he'd be able to remember them again. Go figure.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:15 pm

I don't buy it really. Parents can simply not let their kids watch it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 5:43 am