CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Tony Marino
Shale
Nystyle709
FireIce918
Bluesmama
Chris
10 posters

Is society too harsh/judgmental of cigarette smokers?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Is society too harsh/judgmental of cigarette smokers? Empty Is society too harsh/judgmental of cigarette smokers?

Post by Chris Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:51 pm

Do you think anti-smoking attitudes go too far?
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Is society too harsh/judgmental of cigarette smokers? Empty Re: Is society too harsh/judgmental of cigarette smokers?

Post by Bluesmama Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:13 pm

Yes, I do. And, no, I do not smoke. I smoked for 3 years in the 70's and quit simply because I was too cheap to pay for them.

I do think most smokers don't realize how bad they smell. When I had a house full of smokers recently, they all had to do it out on the deck. But even their presence, and their stuff, left a lingering stench that took days to go away. But it went away ~ we lived through it.

But when someone can't smoke outside on their own porch (a person in California got sued by a neighbor because she sat on her own porch to smoke) then this kind of bullshit is where I pull out all stops.
    FireIce918
    FireIce918
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Is society too harsh/judgmental of cigarette smokers? Empty Re: Is society too harsh/judgmental of cigarette smokers?

Post by FireIce918 Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:41 am

Personally I don't smoke and don't prefer to hang around those who do (I do agree that they don't realize how awful they smell to a non-smoker). Unfortunately one of my good friends smokes like a chimney and goes to great lengths to smoke a cigarette--we've spent many work breaks gossiping in the freezing cold so she can smoke! I view it as a worthless habit, and it obviously has a greater effect on more than just the participant. While I agree that everyone has freedom of choice, cigarette smoke doesn't choose who it blows on or who has to inhale it, no matter how much the smoker stands downwind or turns the other way. And because it's a known carcinogen, I can certainly understand the strong anti-smoking stance that many people take.

I'm glad with the restrictions that have been put on smoking around here, considering this is tobacco central. I was truly elated when I could finally have a night at the club without smelling like a Newport! And honestly, I would support anything that makes it more difficult for smokers lol. It's a habit that can kill anybody around you, so I can't see any reason to NOT be harsh about it.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:54 am

FireIce918 wrote:Personally I don't smoke and don't prefer to hang around those who do (I do agree that they don't realize how awful they smell to a non-smoker). Unfortunately one of my good friends smokes like a chimney and goes to great lengths to smoke a cigarette--we've spent many work breaks gossiping in the freezing cold so she can smoke! I view it as a worthless habit, and it obviously has a greater effect on more than just the participant. While I agree that everyone has freedom of choice, cigarette smoke doesn't choose who it blows on or who has to inhale it, no matter how much the smoker stands downwind or turns the other way. And because it's a known carcinogen, I can certainly understand the strong anti-smoking stance that many people take.

I'm glad with the restrictions that have been put on smoking around here, considering this is tobacco central. I was truly elated when I could finally have a night at the club without smelling like a Newport! And honestly, I wou support anything that makes it more difficult for smokers lol. It's a habit that can kill anybody around you, so I can't see any reason to NOT be harsh about it.

Exhaust fumes are carcinogens. There aren't any bans on cars. Do you perm your hair? That relaxer is a carcinogen too. So is nail polish, nail polish remover, everyday household cleaning products and certain cosmetics. Point is, you can't justify the ban on cigarette smoking based on the fact that people can get cancer from it. You encounter cancer causing materials everyday. You might as well ban everything else. I do think a lot of these anti-smokers go too far. It's ludicrous to take away smokers right to smoke just because YOU don't enjoy it. I don't smoke and I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke. Guess what I do when someone starts smoking around me? I leave. Banning smoking in parks and bars and clubs is bullshit. I've been to restaurants have had separate sections for smokers and non-smokers and I never smelled any smoke or had a problem with smoke when I was sitting in the non smoking sections. These anti smoking zealots are just that. Don't like cigarette smoke? Bounce.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:47 pm

Nystyle709 wrote: ... These anti smoking zealots are just that. Don't like cigarette smoke? Bounce.

Kinda hard to bounce from a bus, train or airplane. Equally hard to bounce from your office where you are required to spend 8 hours (and the ban in bars and eating establishments was not for the patrons but for the workers - turns out it is an OSHA item).

I remember the hell of sitting on long bus & plane rides in smoke befouled air. I also worked in a pizza/beer joint in Pittsburgh and had a choice of turning on the exhaust fan over the ovens and freezing or shutting down my breathing.

Even when I smoked, I couldn't stand to be in a smoke filled bar - ambient smoke is worse than dragging on a cig.

We've had a clean indoor air act here in Florida since 1991 and I really appreciate it. BTW, all those other fumes mentioned are not as deadly as cigarette smoke and not as constantly inhaled. I have bounced my office when such fumes as solvents or paints were present and dared them to tell me to stay - I would be contacting OSHA myself.

A persons "right" to smoke only extends until it reaches my nose. And, I don't consider myself a fanatic, just a health conscious person who does not wish to succumb to someone else's stupid lifestyle choices.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:56 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:

Exhaust fumes are carcinogens. There aren't any bans on cars. Do you perm your hair? That relaxer is a carcinogen too. So is nail polish, nail polish remover, everyday household cleaning products and certain cosmetics. Point is, you can't justify the ban on cigarette smoking based on the fact that people can get cancer from it. You encounter cancer causing materials everyday. You might as well ban everything else. I do think a lot of these anti-smokers go too far. It's ludicrous to take away smokers right to smoke just because YOU don't enjoy it. I don't smoke and I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke. Guess what I do when someone starts smoking around me? I leave. Banning smoking in parks and bars and clubs is bullshit. I've been to restaurants have had separate sections for smokers and non-smokers and I never smelled any smoke or had a problem with smoke when I was sitting in the non smoking sections. These anti smoking zealots are just that. Don't like cigarette smoke? Bounce.

I agree with NY above the whole smoking ban is just plain ridiculous. Most of my friends smoke but I don't. They are courteous enough to go outside when they come to my house if they want to smoke. If I have one person that is a smoker in my house and they want a cigarette or 2 thats o.k. I just air it out afterwards, no big deal. The friggin air we breathe is filled with who knows what kinds of toxins. No one blows smoke in my face and if the wind carries it in my direction, so what! People that smoke are well aware of the hazards of it but if they want to continue, thats their business.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:55 pm

Oregon banned cigarette-smoking altogether from all bars and restaurants a few years ago, and I think this was the wrong approach. Rather than the Nazi'sm, establishment owners should have had a choice between going ALL smoking OR non-smoking (none of the "special areas" for smokers). I used to meet friends after work at a bar that drew lots of smokers, and after the ban I noticed a big cut in patrons.

I think the state should have tackled this one with some compromise.

Can't help wondering what's next ~ the Pepsis I love? Probably.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Tony Marino wrote:
    ... The friggin air we breathe is filled with who knows what kinds of toxins.
    And adding tobacco smoke makes this bad air better?

Tony Marino wrote: People that smoke are well aware of the hazards of it but if they want to continue, thats their business.

Well good for them! I agree. If they want to make unhealthy decisions that's their business - but when their nasty smoke hits my lungs it becomes mine.

And, many metropolitan, state and federal laws are finally protecting the 75% of ppl who do not smoke from having to endure their carcinogen.

I was around in the '50s and '60s before all these 'ridiculous' smoking bans and it was beyond irritating to my eyes and throat. I enjoy the smoke-free public spaces.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:15 pm

I really don't give a shit if there are smoking bans.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:21 pm

Opa Shale wrote:

Kinda hard to bounce from a bus, train or airplane. Equally hard to bounce from your office where you are required to spend 8 hours (and the ban in bars and eating establishments was not for the patrons but for the workers - turns out it is an OSHA item).

I remember the hell of sitting on long bus & plane rides in smoke befouled air. I also worked in a pizza/beer joint in Pittsburgh and had a choice of turning on the exhaust fan over the ovens and freezing or shutting down my breathing.

Either you're describing some shit that happened in the 50's or you're just straight up lying. Smoking is not allowed on public buses, trains or planes. It's not allowed in office buildings either and most other public places.

Banning smoking in parks and bars and clubs is bullshit.

THIS is what I'm referring to. The law to extend the ban on smoking in these areas by these zealots is stupid. Banning smoke in a park is stupid. It's a wide open space. The smoke dissipates. You don't have to be there. Banning smoking in a bar is stupid. They rather you drink yourself to death instead. You don't have to be there. Banning smoke in a club is stupid. You don't have to be there either.

We've had a clean indoor air act here in Florida since 1991 and I really appreciate it. BTW, all those other fumes mentioned are not as deadly as cigarette smoke and not as constantly inhaled. I have bounced my office when such fumes as solvents or paints were present and dared them to tell me to stay - I would be contacting OSHA myself.

Are you serious?! We breathe harmful toxins EVERY SINGLE DAY. They are constantly inhaled. Fucking hole in the ozone layer didn't come about overnight. Explain how people get cancer and other ailments related to breathing who NEVER smoked or been around smokers a day in their lives. And if you're really going to sit up here and try to differentiate levels of harmful effects between known carcinogens, then I ain't gonna do nothing but L-O-L. A carcinogen is a carcinogen.

A persons "right" to smoke only extends until it reaches my nose. And, I don't consider myself a fanatic, just a health conscious person who does not wish to succumb to someone else's stupid lifestyle choices.

Well, you got quite a few "lifestyle choices" that I and I'm sure other people think are stupid, but you wouldn't want anyone judging you. You really gonna judge someone who chooses to enjoy a cigarette? FOH.
    stonestatic
    stonestatic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 24

Post by stonestatic Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:44 pm

I think people are way too dramatic about the alleged "inconvenience" of cigarette smoke and just like wagging their fingers and feeling superior. I know several people that smoke and even though I don't smoke or like the smell of it, unless it's blowing directly in my face it's really not that big a problem.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:48 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:
    Either you're describing some shit that happened in the 50's or you're just straight up lying. Smoking is not allowed on public buses, trains or planes. It's not allowed in office buildings either and most other public places.

I thot that was apparent. "I remember the hell of sitting on long bus & plane rides in smoke befouled air." And it was also the '60s & '70s.

"We've had a clean indoor air act here in Florida since 1991 and I really appreciate it. BTW, all those other fumes mentioned are not as deadly as cigarette smoke and not as constantly inhaled."

Nystyle709 wrote: Are you serious?! ...

Yes!

Nystyle709 wrote: Well, you got quite a few "lifestyle choices" that I and I'm sure other people think are stupid, but you wouldn't want anyone judging you. You really gonna judge someone who chooses to enjoy a cigarette? FOH.

Ppl judge me all the time (even on this board). My stupid lifestyle choices do not impact the health of others, nor make their breathing miserable because I have befouled the air. It is not a matter of judgement, but one of pushing smoke onto others who do not wish to breathe it.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:01 pm

Opa Shale wrote:

I thot that was apparent. "I remember the hell of sitting on long bus & plane rides in smoke befouled air." And it was also the '60s & '70s.

"We've had a clean indoor air act here in Florida since 1991 and I really appreciate it. BTW, all those other fumes mentioned are not as deadly as cigarette smoke and not as constantly inhaled."

Kinda
    hard to bounce from a bus, train or airplane.
    Equally hard to bounce
    from your office where you are required to spend 8 hours (and the ban in
    bars and eating establishments was not for the patrons but for the
    workers - turns out it is an OSHA item).

Why didn't you quote this too? Here you were trying to be smart ass replying to the comment I made about leaving when there is cigarette smoke bothering you....when the fact of the matter is, it's not allowed in either one of those settings that YOU just mentioned.....and hasn't been for years. So there wasn't any point to it. Quote the rest of my post too. Like I stated earlier, if cigarette smoke bothers you....BOUNCE.

Yes!

You differentiate between carcinogens? We don't constantly breathe in harmful toxins on a daily basis? Okey dokey....you made me do it. LOL.

Ppl judge me all the time (even on this board). My stupid lifestyle choices do not impact the health of others, nor make their breathing miserable because I have befouled the air. It is not a matter of judgement, but one of pushing smoke onto others who do not wish to breathe it.

It's not impacting your health if YOU CHOOSE NOT TO BE AROUND IT! I ain't never heard of anyone being FORCED to breathe in cigarette smoke.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:21 am

Nystyle709 wrote: ...I ain't never heard of anyone being FORCED to breathe in cigarette smoke.

The question was "Do you think anti-smoking attitudes go too far?"

I think not and was merely pointing out HOW FAR WE HAVE COME.

I have more history with this than many ppl here who may have never traveled for hours in a smoke-filled Greyhound or airplane. (or even in a smoke-filled car as a child choking in the back seat) That is why I made a historical reference. If you are too dense to differentiate that then IDK how better to connect the dots.

No I have not been FORCED to breathe in cigarette smoke for a couple of decades, as anti-smoking laws are coming into effect in most places. But HEAR now that I once was forced to breathe in cigarette smoke for the first half century of my life.
    FireIce918
    FireIce918
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by FireIce918 Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:47 am

Nystyle709 wrote:

I feel you, and you have some great points.

But I ain't gonna lie, I'm just one of those people who can't tolerate cig smoke! It makes it that much harder for me to see the other side of the story. I'll admit that it may be closed-minded on my end, but I just can't get with it. Not saying that I'm an anti-smoking vigilante--I know better that to fuck with someone who's desperately searching for a light or looking around for a short to bum! If they want to smoke, that's their business, but at the same time if push comes to shove, I can't defend them.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:56 am

We also have the NO-smoking ban here in clubs/bars/restaurants. At first I hated the fact I had to go outside to smoke (ESP in the dead of winter) but I eventually got used to it. I made the decision to smoke and my decision to smoke shouldn't affect the people around me who don't smoke. So I'm fine leaving the restaurant or whatever so I can go have a smoke. Plus ever since these bans were put in place, the clubs/bars/restaurants I go to now, ALL SMELL MUCH BETTER!

Also I don't smoke in my home, and never have, I've also just recently quit smoking in my car (that too smells MUCH BETTER), so if your a guest and non-smoker coming into my house, it shouldn't be any problem for you. Which was probably why the ban was so easy to get used to, Im used to always going outside to have a smoke.

But hey, that's just me.

P.s. Like Tony stated above how he'll a allow a few cigarettes to smoked in his home, I'll occasionally do the same, ONLY in the dead of winter when its too freakin cold. Even then we are smoking right next to the window with the fan blowing.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:58 am

Bluesmama wrote:

But when someone can't smoke outside on their own porch (a person in California got sued by a neighbor because she sat on her own porch to smoke) then this kind of bullshit is where I pull out all stops.

Thats just DUMB!! I be pissed as hell, how the hell you gonna sue me for smoking on my own damn porch!
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:42 am

Opa Shale wrote:

The question was "Do you think anti-smoking attitudes go too far?"

I think not and was merely pointing out HOW FAR WE HAVE COME.

I have more history with this than many ppl here who may have never traveled for hours in a smoke-filled Greyhound or airplane. (or even in a smoke-filled car as a child choking in the back seat) That is why I made a historical reference. If you are too dense to differentiate that then IDK how better to connect the dots.

No I have not been FORCED to breathe in cigarette smoke for a couple of decades, as anti-smoking laws are coming into effect in most places. But HEAR now that I once was forced to breathe in cigarette smoke for the first half century of my life.

Okay. But I still thinking trying to ban it in settings such as parks, bars, clubs and other places where smoking shouldn't matter is overzealous. That's what Bloomberg did here. He banned it PARKS. In beaches. You can't justify that as not being overzealous.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:10 am

I am fine with it being banned from public places, but they ought to be able to smoke on their own damn property.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:32 am