Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change

Go down 
+8
Jason B.
Tony Marino
tmontyb
Alan Smithee
Marc™
Nystyle709
Bluesmama
Chris
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change Empty
PostSubject: Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change   Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 4:23 pm

Quote :
Coins as payment: 'Money's money'
By Shellie Bailey-Shah KATU Problem Solver Published: Nov 1, 2011 at 1:31 PM PST Last Updated: Nov 1, 2011 at 3:23 PM PST

PORTLAND, Ore. – A Portland woman says a grocery store wouldn’t let her pay for her family’s food because she was paying for it with loose change.

“Jean” was too embarrassed to show her face or use her real name, but she wanted people to hear her story.

“We had nothing to feed our children with,” she said. “So we broke out the change.”

Jean said she brought $32 in quarters to Save-a-Lot in Southeast Portland. After she grabbed her groceries, she waited until the checkout line cleared so she could pay.

“And when I went up, I told them, you know ‘I have change. Sorry, it’s hard times right now.’ And they go, 'well we can only accept $5,'" Jean said.

“It’s money,” she added. “Money’s money.”

But the clerk wouldn’t budge, Jean said. “I was mortified. Mortified.”

Jean said she went to Fred Meyer, but the store manager insisted she use the change machine where you’re charged a fee of nearly 10 percent. Jean said she couldn’t afford to lose the money and started crying in front of another customer.

“He was disgusted by what they were saying too, and he said ‘I’ll take your change, I’ll buy your change from you.’ And the manager decided OK, go to the change machine and we’ll pay the fee,” Jean said.

Jean said she didn’t want to use gas money to go to her bank because it was far away.

Tuesday, both Fred Meyer and Save-a-Lot responded to calls from KATU News.

"We apologize for the inconvenience the customer experienced at the store," said Fred Meyer Public Affairs Director Melinda Merrill. "Receiving change for a payment is a rare occurrence. Fred Meyer stores do accept change as payment and we will work with our store directors and management teams to ensure they know this."

Save-a-Lot External Communications Manager Chon Tomlin also apologized Tuesday.

"We deeply apologize for the misunderstanding that occurred recently at our SE Foster location. As a corporate policy, we accept all forms of payment, except for American Express. There is no maximum limit on cash payments, specifically those involving coins of any type," Tomlin said.

When the KATU Problem Solvers called around to other grocery stores in our area and said they were from KATU, all of the store managers said loose change was acceptable as payment. But when they called back as customers, they got a different story:

• QFC would only accept $5 or $6 in loose change.
  • Albertsons said they would only accept $5.
  • WinCo and Safeway didn’t have a cutoff, but said they tell customers to use the change machine.
  • Only Whole Foods and New Seasons were open to accepting change, no matter what the amount.

The KATU Problem Solvers checked with the Oregon Attorney General, who said while there is a federal law saying coins are legal tender, there is not a law that mandates private businesses accept them as payment.

“If the government issues you the money, they should take it,” said Jean.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female
Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change   Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 4:27 pm

This is so WRONG ~ especially considering that grocery stores are feeling the pinches from drops in sales with food prices escalating all the time. One of my neighbors is a grocery store manager and he said that only staples are what's really selling anymore. Loose change isn't good enough for them? They must not need the money as badly as they think they do, then.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change   Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 3:22 am

That's some bullshit. They would took that fucking change THAT day. No if, ands or buts.
Back to top Go down
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

PostSubject: Re: Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change   Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 3:40 am

How you gonna reject money like that? As if cashiers aren't always running out of change.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change   Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 9:18 am

I don't have any problem with the policy. Make an exception if someone is in a bad way but as a typical everyday occurance? This woman came in with 128 quarters. OK, that's not that difficult for the cashier to count but what if she was trying to use the change from the 5 gal water bottle where they throw all their change? Do you want to be the people waiting in line behind her while the cashier counts it out? And those cash drawers don't hold that much. Rolled coin? My wife worked for Pathmark for years. More than once they had losses from rolled coin. One time the headbookeeper (the person in the courtesy booth who breaks the tills and does the paper work) OK'd a $150 in rolled coin. They got beat for about $25 because every roll was short. The policy became that they would only accept rolls if the customer had their name, address, phone number and prrof of ID. I think many banks have stopped taking it.
Back to top Go down
tmontyb
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
tmontyb

Male
Rep : 37

PostSubject: Re: Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change   Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 10:58 am

Sorry, but money is money. If the cashier has to stand there and count out 50 dollars in change, it's still valid currency.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change   Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 12:01 pm

tmontyb wrote:
Sorry, but money is money. If the cashier has to stand there and count out 50 dollars in change, it's still valid currency.
co-signs

Ive been a cashier before and my PERSONAL rule was that I'm not taking any rolled up change. You're going to count it out in front of me. If people in line have to wait, then tough.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change   Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 4:10 pm

tmontyb wrote:

co-signs
Back to top Go down
Jason B.
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Jason B.

Male
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change   Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 7:42 pm

Those smug cashiers and managers probably had a good time rejecting this woman's change too. I understand the policy because counting out change is tedious and holds up the line, but in situations like this where the customers says they're having a hard time and it's all they have BE sensitive and make an exception.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change   Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 7:53 pm

Jason B. wrote:
Those smug cashiers and managers probably had a good time rejecting this woman's change too. I understand the policy because counting out change is tedious and holds up the line, but in situations like this where the customers says they're having a hard time and it's all they have BE sensitive and make an exception.
co-signs people should have compassion. Time's tough for a lot of people now. When people are buying groceries with change the overwhelming majority of the time it's not because they want to be cute.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change   Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 8:40 pm

Jason B. wrote:
CeCe wrote:
co-signs people should have compassion. Time's tough for a lot of people now. When people are buying groceries with change the overwhelming majority of the time it's not because they want to be cute.
co-signs

IDK what is wrong with ppl. Elected politicians in Washington don't have a clue how bad the economy is and how it is impacting on everyone. Now the private sector seems to be clueless that it ain't business as usual. That they better take whatever money comes their way as business after business is going out.
Back to top Go down
Minerva
…is Significant.
…is Significant.
Minerva

Female
Rep : 18

PostSubject: Re: Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change   Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 8:49 pm

If the cashiers refuse to accept the change it could be store policy for which they are not responsible. And they could possibly lose their jobs if they go against the rule. Jobs being so scare, I can understand the fear of losing a job for not complying with the rules of the company.

Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change   Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 9:20 pm

Minerva wrote:
If the cashiers refuse to accept the change it could be store policy for which they are not responsible. And they could possibly lose their jobs if they go against the rule. Jobs being so scare, I can understand the fear of losing a job for not complying with the rules of the company.

Thank you. Comments that imply store employees are taking some kind of perverse pleasur in denying food from destitute families are just ignorant.
Back to top Go down
Cheaps
Cheaps

Female
Rep : 252

PostSubject: Re: Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change   Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 4:13 am

Minerva wrote:

I don't see how accepting valid currency (as someone mentioned) would be against store policy. If it's taking too long, then go to another register. Grocery stores have the benefit of having and being able to open up more than one register.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change   Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 10:04 am

cheaps wrote:

I don't see how accepting valid currency (as someone mentioned) would be against store policy. If it's taking too long, then go to another register. Grocery stores have the benefit of having and being able to open up more than one register.
co-signs As a customer in line I wait on coupons. I wait on checks. I wait on people who want items rung up separately. I can wait on change.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change   Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change Empty

Back to top Go down

Cashiers refuse to let broke woman buy groceries with loose change
Page 1 of 1