CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
captainbryce
Nhaiyel
Bluesmama
Supernova
CeCe
Tony Marino
Chris
11 posters

'America: Love It or Leave It'

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

'America: Love It or Leave It' Empty 'America: Love It or Leave It'

Post by Chris Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:23 pm

'America: Love It or Leave It' America-love-it-or-leave-it

What's your opinion of that statement? Do you agree with it?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

'America: Love It or Leave It' Empty Re: 'America: Love It or Leave It'

Post by Tony Marino Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:33 pm

Absolutely.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:44 pm

This is just one of those things people say to silence criticism. Which is ironic considering these same people are the first to scream "freedom of speech" when something they say is criticized. You can "love your country" without being a mindless minion. Blindly following is weak. The country is as good as the people put into power. They are not always right because of the real estate they're standing on or because they wear a flag pin. Speaking out against oppression & atrocity is needed. It's the only way this country will be able to continue to survive.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:09 pm

When people start comparing us to other countries and saying we're not as progressed or advanced or intelligent, yeah I think so.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:23 pm

Yes, pretty much. I've known a few people who are always whining about America or the way we do things, and I eventually asked one friend why she didn't consider moving to Europe (since she thinks its so much better there). I truly expected an answer, she said nothing.

It isn't perfect here, and we are entitled to critique. But if the complaints and dissatisfaction are perpetual. . . MOVE!
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:31 pm

In theory, yes. But it's not lost on me that most of the people who throw out that idiom do to silence (usually legitimate) criticism one may have about the questionable happenings in this country.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:01 pm

Chris wrote:'America: Love It or Leave It' America-love-it-or-leave-it

What's your opinion of that statement? Do you agree with it?
    I think it's an illogical, emotional plea from the scoundrels that call themselves patriots! I have more patriotism in my left nut than most of these lunatics who claim to cherish what America stands for. Yet I am also a realist who can regocnize the successes AND failures of a country. "National pride" is a vein, conceited, concept that often stems from brainwashed individuals who take for granted everything that this country has to offer and choose to remain ignorant of everything else outside the good ole US of A. I WOULD "love" America if it wasn't for all the stupid ass Americans I have to see waving around ridiculous, nonsensical flags like this in a feeble effort to prove just how patriotic they are. There are plenty of things to love about America and there are plenty of things NOT to love about it.

Loving a country just because you were born here is stupid. Love it for what it actually is and what it represents! Unfortunately, many of the people preaching about how you need to "love your country" tend to be the ones who know least about it (or any other country for that matter). The realistic answer is, I love some PARTS of America and don't love other parts of it. I love what America represents (in theory), but I don't love how America has represented itself throughout history. I love how eloquent the words of the Pledge of Allegience are. I only regret that they've never actually been applied in reality. I love that America prides itself on the ideas of peace, freedom, equality and democracy. Its just dissapointing that when it comes to all of those things, we lag behind so many other developed nations. I love that we live in a country that allows sentiments like THIS ONE, to be expressed freely and openly. I also love that I have the right to express a different one: "As long as I continue to pay taxes here, you can shut the fuck up". How's that for a flag idea?

Part of what makes America "great" is the freedom we Americans have to criticize the failures of our nation, in the hopes of eliminating them for the better. The critics are the ones who actually want America to be BETTER than it is. They are often the true patriots as opposed to the people who preach THIS nonsense who tend to be content with the status quo. Regardless, I am a true patiot who has made many sacrifices to defend this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. THAT is the true measure of patriotism, not some bullshit, propaganda flag, pin, sticker or slogan.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:45 pm

CeCe wrote:This is just one of those things people say to silence criticism. Which is ironic considering these same people are the first to scream "freedom of speech" when something they say is criticized. You can "love your country" without being a mindless minion. Blindly following is weak. The country is as good as the people put into power. They are not always right because of the real estate they're standing on or because they wear a flag pin. Speaking out against oppression & atrocity is needed. It's the only way this country will be able to continue to survive.
    co-signs EXACTLY!!

I have had ppl yell that at me at one time because I was a dissident to the mainstream culture. I disagreed with the Vietnam war (late '60s) and pretty much dropped out for a while.

How dare someone admonish me because I point out what is wrong with MY country. I was born here - I'm a fucking veteran and ppl dared to challenge my right as a citizen?

'America: Love It or Leave It' 1972_s10

Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:52 pm

Supernova wrote:When people start comparing us to other countries and saying we're not as progressed or advanced or intelligent, yeah I think so.
    I do. If people think other countries are so much better, then just go to them.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:22 pm

captainbryce wrote:I think it's an illogical, emotional plea from the scoundrels that call themselves patriots! I have more patriotism in my left nut than most of these lunatics who claim to cherish what America stands for. Yet I am also a realist who can regocnize the successes AND failures of a country. "National pride" is a vein, conceited, concept that often stems from brainwashed individuals who take for granted everything that this country has to offer and choose to remain ignorant of everything else outside the good ole US of A. I WOULD "love" America if it wasn't for all the stupid ass Americans I have to see waving around ridiculous, nonsensical flags like this in a feeble effort to prove just how patriotic they are. There are plenty of things to love about America and there are plenty of things NOT to love about it.

Loving a country just because you were born here is stupid. Love it for what it actually is and what it represents! Unfortunately, many of the people preaching about how you need to "love your country" tend to be the ones who know least about it (or any other country for that matter). The realistic answer is, I love some PARTS of America and don't love other parts of it. I love what America represents (in theory), but I don't love how America has represented itself throughout history. I love how eloquent the words of the Pledge of Allegience are. I only regret that they've never actually been applied in reality. I love that America prides itself on the ideas of peace, freedom, equality and democracy. Its just dissapointing that when it comes to all of those things, we lag behind so many other developed nations. I love that we live in a country that allows sentiments like THIS ONE, to be expressed freely and openly. I also love that I have the right to express a different one: "As long as I continue to pay taxes here, you can shut the fuck up". How's that for a flag idea?

Part of what makes America "great" is the freedom we Americans have to criticize the failures of our nation, in the hopes of eliminating them for the better. The critics are the ones who actually want America to be BETTER than it is. They are often the true patriots as opposed to the people who preach THIS nonsense who tend to be content with the status quo. Regardless, I am a true patiot who has made many sacrifices to defend this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. THAT is the true measure of patriotism, not some bullshit, propaganda flag, pin, sticker or slogan.

co-signs
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:20 am

Eh, I do for the most part. I've encountered people just talking shit and despise everything about America and its culture, but they can't return to their own country because it's so fucked up and they'd be poorer than a church mouse. In those instances, I would tell them they should bounce. But as great as America is, it's almost, if not, as equally fucked up. It's a TRUE racist ass country, and it's something that I would know firsthand being a black American. It's a hypocritical ass country and Americans bark more than they bite. I don't think being critical of it in that sense makes you unpatriotic.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 10:26 am