CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
captainbryce
CeCe
Chris
TSJFan4Ever
Shale
Alan Smithee
Supernova
stonestatic
12 posters

Can teenage love be as real as adult love?

stonestatic
    stonestatic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 24

Can teenage love be as real as adult love? Empty Can teenage love be as real as adult love?

Post by stonestatic Sat May 21, 2011 2:00 pm

Can a teenage relationship be as deep and emotional and "real" as the love between two experienced adults?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Can teenage love be as real as adult love? Empty Re: Can teenage love be as real as adult love?

Post by Supernova Sat May 21, 2011 2:55 pm

It's possible but I doubt likely.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Can teenage love be as real as adult love? Empty Re: Can teenage love be as real as adult love?

Post by Alan Smithee Sat May 21, 2011 3:47 pm

stonestatic wrote:Can a teenage relationship be as deep and emotional and "real" as the love between two experienced adults?

To the teenagers, sure.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat May 21, 2011 5:13 pm

alan smithee wrote:
    stonestatic wrote:Can a teenage relationship be as deep and emotional and "real" as the love between two experienced adults?

To the teenagers, sure.
    That was going to be my response as well.

And the other side of it is, what is love between two experienced adults? When I first met Brenda, my feelings were all gut level and giddy, just like when I had a crush on a girl as a teen. I was 35 at the time, experienced enuf to make note of that fact.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sat May 21, 2011 9:46 pm

Well - I have several friends who were married in their teens and their love is still going strong and steady. I also know people who were adults when their married and their marriages didn't last. Sure I think it's possible, but it's not as likely because the teen years are only so long and you change so much during those years and during your early 20's.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sat May 21, 2011 11:35 pm

I wouldn't say so on average, but there are always exceptions.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat May 21, 2011 11:38 pm

Chris wrote:I wouldn't say so on average, but there are always exceptions.

co-signs
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sun May 22, 2011 12:53 pm

The inverse of this question would be, can an adult relationship be as superficial and meaningless as a teenage relationships. I'm forced to conclude that the answer is often times YES and with that in mind, I must also conclude that the reverse can also be very often true. Teenagers fall in love all the time (just like adults do). Some of them form lasting relationships that end in marriage and children over a long period of time, while others dissipate into a quick fling. I think that teengers are generally more "emotional" than adults are and because of their dependency for emotional attachment (combined with sexual relief) and their lack of long term reasoning skills, teenagers probably form relationships that are more intense (for a shorter amount of time) than adults are capable of in the same timespan. I think adults are more likely to be relationship "skeptics" and more cautious when it comes to who they end up putting their trust into because of past experiences. Of course, this also makes it more likely that an adult will form a meaninful, lasting relationship where trust is "earned" rather than "expected" from the onset.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Sun May 22, 2011 3:09 pm

In general, no, I doubt think so. I was never in any relationships as a teen, so maybe I'm the last one to say anything about it, but I think a teenage relationship is on a more superficial level. But of course there are exceptions. My Uncle Cliff and Aunt Lois married when they were 18 or 19 and stayed married for 40 years.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Sun May 22, 2011 4:51 pm

For the most part, no.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun May 22, 2011 5:28 pm

captainbryce wrote: ... I think that teengers are generally more "emotional" than adults are and because of their dependency for emotional attachment (combined with sexual relief) and their lack of long term reasoning skills, teenagers probably form relationships that are more intense (for a shorter amount of time) than adults are capable of in the same timespan. ...
    They're called Strawfire Romances - they burn quickly and brightly and leave few ashes.

I had one (Well, I was 20 but she was 17)
    http://www.conversationchamber.com/t5847-you-never-forget

What I didn't mention in my remembrance was that I proposed to her - no thot to the fact that she was raised in Turkey and would be going back to the states to live on a military base in a foreign culture. I did consider that we would have to live in DC, since that was the only place I knew that had a mosque in the US in '65.

I ASKED HER TO MARRY ME, with no concept of the difficulties that would entail. d-oh!

Luckily, she did not take that plunge into the unknown and I shipped out and to this day enjoy the fond memories (instead of the most likely eventual divorce, possibly involving kids)

But the feelings were some of the deepest and real emotions I have ever had.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun May 22, 2011 9:17 pm

I think that it is rare because once a person has life experience, everything is different as far as how they view things. Plus, in a person's teens, all the real life pressures are not there yet.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Sun May 22, 2011 9:50 pm

For the most part, I wouldn't say so. Most of the time, teenage "love" seems more about image, boasting and show.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:06 am