CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Supernova
RedBedroom
Chris
7 posters

Should teachers be held to a higher ethical standard than people in most other professions?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should teachers be held to a higher ethical standard than people in most other professions? Empty Should teachers be held to a higher ethical standard than people in most other professions?

Post by Chris Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:47 am

You hear stories all the time about teachers being dismissed because of off-job behavior (past and present.) Because of the nude pictures they posed for a few years ago, or for what they said on Facebook, etc., etc. Is their behavior outside of school their own business or should they be held to a higher ethical standard because they are teachers?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Should teachers be held to a higher ethical standard than people in most other professions? Empty Re: Should teachers be held to a higher ethical standard than people in most other professions?

Post by RedBedroom Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:38 am

To me, what would be ideal is for newly hired teachers have the ability to talk about any indesgressions after getting the job. That way, it is all out in the open. Any pictures or videos that may surface will already have been discussed and forgiven. It is idealistic to think any new teachers should not have any blemishes in their past.

As far as while they are working as a teacher, each contract should clearly state what the ramifications are for certain behaviors.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Should teachers be held to a higher ethical standard than people in most other professions? Empty Re: Should teachers be held to a higher ethical standard than people in most other professions?

Post by Supernova Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:52 am

I don't see why they should since apparently the matter of their actual alleged teaching isn't held to a higher stand than anybody else's.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:11 pm

I just want them to do their job. I don't care what they did in the past or their current private lives.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:58 pm

I'm a little asi-asi with this. On the one hand....if it's not in the classroom, then what does it matter? What's more important are how effective their teaching methods are. On the other hand....teachers do have the propensity to be role models and their behavior should in a way reflect that.

Ultimately yeah, teachers should be held to a higher standard....but I wouldn't be hard-assed about them not being perfect.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:26 pm

Marc™ wrote:I'm a little asi-asi with this. On the one hand....if it's not in the classroom, then what does it matter? What's more important are how effective their teaching methods are. On the other hand....teachers do have the propensity to be role models and their behavior should in a way reflect that.

Ultimately yeah, teachers should be held to a higher standard....but I wouldn't be hard-assed about them not being perfect.

Should teachers be held to a higher ethical standard than people in most other professions? 35166
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:07 am

Not really I mean IMO it should just be about how good a teacher they are. Dont care what they do on their own time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:36 am