Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice... Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice...

Go down 
+6
CeCe
Bluesmama
Cheaps
Tony Marino
Supernova
RedBedroom
10 posters
AuthorMessage
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice... Empty
PostSubject: Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice...   Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice... EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 1:25 pm

You know those commercials that ask if you suffered such and such during a certain period of time, announcing they are bringing a class action lawsuit...Do you think the motivator is to get $ from people in the form of retainers and then the case never goes anywhere. Or do they actually get cases together?

If you don't have them in your area, you won't know what I am talking about. Here, there are so many for cancers, birth defects and motorcycle accidents.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice...   Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice... EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 1:29 pm

My mother considered joining the lawsuit against Con-Agra foods when she got salmonella from the Peter Pan Peanut Butter (NEVER again we will never buy it again) and she almost died, but she decided not to because she found out even if they didn't win she'd still have to pay the attorneys.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice...   Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice... EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 1:32 pm

RedBedroom wrote:
You know those commercials that ask if you suffered such and such during a certain period of time, announcing they are bringing a class action lawsuit...Do you think the motivator is to get $ from people in the form of retainers and then the case never goes anywhere. Or do they actually get cases together?

If you don't have them in your area, you won't know what I am talking about. Here, there are so many for cancers, birth defects and motorcycle accidents.

I see them all the time on TV I think they are a bunch of bull.
Back to top Go down
Cheaps
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Cheaps

Female
Rep : 252

PostSubject: Re: Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice...   Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice... EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 3:27 pm

I wouldn't trust them.
Back to top Go down
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female
Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice...   Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice... EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Ambulance chasers.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice...   Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice... EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 4:53 pm

Supernova wrote:
My mother considered joining the lawsuit against Con-Agra foods when she got salmonella from the Peter Pan Peanut Butter (NEVER again we will never buy it again) and she almost died, but she decided not to because she found out even if they didn't win she'd still have to pay the attorneys.

Hopefully there's someone here who has a background in law, but this doesn't sound right to me. Looked around & all the info was the same.
Quote :
Who pays the lawyers in a class action lawsuit?

In a class action for money damages, lawyers who represent the class are generally paid out of the money that's recovered - called a "common fund" - for the people they are representing. In class actions involving declaratory judgments or injunctive relief, lawyers may be paid by the people who hired them, or in some cases, by the people or companies they are suing.

Attorney's fee awards are subject to court review and approval. Ordinarily, if an award is made in a common fund case, it will be awarded as a percentage of the total money available for the class. A benchmark award generally accepted by the courts is approximately 25 percent of the total, although the award may be adjusted higher or lower, depending on the specific facts of a case.

http://class-actions.lawyers.com/Lawyer-Fees-in-Class-Actions.html

No idea how that particular case turned out but it may be that someone gave your mom some faulty information.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice...   Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice... EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 9:26 pm

I dunno, but if you're the person that they are talking about, I don't think it would hurt to research it and check it out.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice...   Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice... EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 11:47 am

In general, I think those commercials are just the lawyers trying to line their pockets.
Back to top Go down
Suzi
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Suzi

Female
Rep : 85

PostSubject: Re: Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice...   Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice... EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 1:13 pm

We have a friend who has Mesothelioma, she and her husband saw an ad on TV for a number in the US to call. She did call it to make a long story short she has to date received about $100,000.00 . She had no clue as to where she had come in contact with asbestos, but the lawyers involved went all the way back in her working background,and schools. They found she had worked in a government liquor store when she was young, that shortly after she moved on the store had been torn down because it had asbestos in it. She is holding her own after fighting it for several years now, but of course who knows how long this spell of good health will last.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice...   Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice... EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 5:01 pm

If I or a loved one has died from this thing, they want me to call them so they can freeload off of my suffering. FORGIVENESS MAN
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice...   Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice... EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 10:14 am

Not necessarily true. And "freeloading" is hardly the case. As Suzi's post shows, there's a LOT of work that goes into discovery & filing & more filing. The average person couldn't pull it off alone. It sounds like they did a damn good job. We all tend to broad brush things sometimes. But the entire profession is far from corrupt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice...   Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice... Empty

Back to top Go down

Those law firm commercials looking for people who suffered malpractice...
Page 1 of 1