CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
Kral
wants2laugh
Cheaps
zthatzmanz28
Tony Marino
Hyacinth Girl
Forgiveness Man
Supernova
RedBedroom
13 posters

Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers? Empty Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers?

Post by RedBedroom Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:27 pm

Personally, I think they should. I know it is their right to make money on beverages, but basic water should be free.

In the last two weeks, I have had to pay for bottled water at two different places.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers? Empty Re: Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers?

Post by Supernova Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:31 pm

That's stupid, hell yes the water should be free of all things.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers? Empty Re: Should restaurants be required to give complementary water to paying customers?

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:33 pm

I don't expect them to give you complimentary BOTTLED water. If it's just fountain water, then that's very different from bottled in terms of price.

I don't think it should be REQUIRED. I think if a restaurant wants to charge for water, they should be permitted to. It's just that a restaurant that charges for water is likely to not make a good name for themselves, especially in a world in which soft drinks are so frowned upon. If they are willing to come off as the greedy bastards they would be seen as if they charge for water, I don't feel it's the law's business to stop them.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:37 pm

I thought water was free everywhere? At least every place in my area doesn't seem to charge for it by the glass.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:25 pm

We get glasses of water here for free, no bottled water that I have ever seen.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:59 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:I don't expect them to give you complimentary BOTTLED water. If it's just fountain water, then that's very different from bottled in terms of price.

I don't think it should be REQUIRED. I think if a restaurant wants to charge for water, they should be permitted to. It's just that a restaurant that charges for water is likely to not make a good name for themselves, especially in a world in which soft drinks are so frowned upon. If they are willing to come off as the greedy bastards they would be seen as if they charge for water, I don't feel it's the law's business to stop them.

I didn't mean I expected free bottled.

In both cases, tap water for free was not an option and to get water, bottled had to be purchased. The first one, I kind of understood. It was before the game at a bar and she said that they only sold bottled water on game day, up until half time. The second instance was at a Chinese restaurant. When I said I wanted two waters, he pointed me to the cooler. I said, "No, I just want to cups of tap water." He said, nope, they don't give out free cups of water. I won't be going back there.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:00 pm

^^^^Well, if a restaurant doesn't give out tap water, I suppose that is their right. I don't think it's wise to mandate that a restaurant really offer anything for sale. How we respond to a restaurant is our business and we've a right to shun such places and they'll have to live with the loss of clientele. But I don't think it's the law's place to require them to serve water.
    zthatzmanz28
    zthatzmanz28
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male
    Rep : 13

Post by zthatzmanz28 Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:10 am

Half the time we go out, we have water and lemon. We have never been charged for a glass of water. We have been given the pitch to buy bottled water. We always come back with why would we pay for water in plastic that is about identical to tap and wastes more resources packaged in plastic.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:07 am

RedBedroom wrote:Personally, I think they should. I know it is their right to make money on beverages, but basic water should be free.

In the last two weeks, I have had to pay for bottled water at two different places.

I've never paid for a glass of water, it's always complimentary. Bottled water of course, your expected to pay.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:28 pm

around here in the summer because of low water tables, you have to ask for water...because they are encouraged to conserve. But i have never paid for water because they made me buy a bottle because they did not want to give me tap
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:39 pm

Perhaps not bottled water, but every restaurant should offer complimentary glasses of water.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:31 am

I agree that glasses of water should be complimentary but I've never been in a restaurant where they offered free bottled water.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:24 pm

At the risk of sounding repetitive, I am going to agree with what's been said here already. Glasses of tap water and unlimited refills should be on the house, but bottled water not so much.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:58 pm

Pretty much co-signs
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:35 pm

If it me, I would prefer to get a glass of complimentary water because at least then you can get ice and as many refills as you ask for.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:38 pm