The definition of "middle class". Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The definition of "middle class".

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
UMo
…is a Newbie.
…is a Newbie.
UMo

Female
Rep : 0

The definition of "middle class". Empty
PostSubject: The definition of "middle class".   The definition of "middle class". EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 11:29 pm

Hi everyone. I'm just curious. Alot of talk is done regarding the "middle class". Who they are , what kind of housing they can afford etc. I have seen articles that state that most Americans consider themselves middle class, regardless of income or education levels. My question that I would like to throw out there is this: what do you consider to be middle class? Specifically, income, education and housing. Do you consider yourself to be middle class? Is it a fluid thing, constantly changing with current circumstances? Or do we need to revise our definitions to meet the current realities we face today? I just haven't a clue what it means anymore.
Any responses would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
kinetic
…is an Up 'N Comer.
…is an Up 'N Comer.
kinetic

Male
Rep : 19

PostSubject: Re: The definition of "middle class".   The definition of "middle class". EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 11:43 pm

To me it has to do with income level, versus cost of living in a particular area.

Here, there are plenty of University graduates only making 40-50k (Cdn) in the Toronto area, Canada's most expensive city, while there are also probably quite a few people with just a high school diploma who make well over 100k.

The details would seem fuzzy on how much annual income I'd say would be middle class for everywhere, but for the Toronto/Ontario area I'd say 35-90k (Cdn) would be middle class.

I guess a good point of reference to me would be if the income is high enough that you have the option of not having to live paycheck-to-paycheck if you make smart lifestyle/financial choices.
Back to top Go down
RobbieFTW
…is Being Fitted For a Crown.
…is Being Fitted For a Crown.
RobbieFTW

Male
Rep : 145

PostSubject: Re: The definition of "middle class".   The definition of "middle class". EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 12:41 am

To me middle class is earning median income for an area. Living middle class means being able to support a family on that income, living in a single family home in the suburbs or affordable housing with adequate space in the city. However I think city life is not good to raise a family in.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: The definition of "middle class".   The definition of "middle class". EmptyThu Jul 29, 2010 8:38 am

I don't have a strict definition. You're not rich enough to afford too many lavish luxeries, but you're not poor enough to need handouts or to struggle with the fact that your kids might go to bed hungry. You get by, with relative ease, but not with flying colors. It's kind of hard to define. lol

I do consider my family middle class.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: The definition of "middle class".   The definition of "middle class". EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 12:56 am

I think I am text book middle class. I live in a rich area, but I don't own, I lease this home. I am putting into savings, but not abundantly.

Overall, I think that it means making the median income for any area one lives in, like Robbie said. And that is us. We live in this area, but we are on the cusp of the high end homes and some that live around here have, and rent, are barely making it and have much less than we do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The definition of "middle class".   The definition of "middle class". Empty

Back to top Go down

The definition of "middle class".
Page 1 of 1