CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Kral
Shale
Forgiveness Man
Tony Marino
Chris
9 posters

Boy Scouts Reconfirm Policy: No Gays Allowed

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

News Boy Scouts Reconfirm Policy: No Gays Allowed

Post by Chris Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:25 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/US/boy-scouts-reaffirm-ban-gays/story?id=16795868#.UAmvf0TC6I0

Boy Scouts Reconfirm Policy: No Gays Allowed

Watch More News Videos at ABC

2012 Presidential Election

Entertainment & Celebrity News

By SUSAN DONALDSON JAMES
    July 17, 2012

The Boy Scouts of America today reaffirmed its policy to exclude gays from joining or being leaders, disappointing gay rights groups.

A special committee of Scout executives and adult volunteers formed in 2010 concluded unanimously that the anti-gay policy was the "absolute best" for the 112-year-old organization, national spokesman Deron Smith, told The Associated Press.

He said it represented "a diversity of perspectives and opinions," but did not name the members of that committee. The Scouts is one of the largest youth organizations in the country with 2.7 million members and more than 1 million adult volunteers.

Zach Wahls, an Eagle Scout and son of Iowa lesbians who has been outspoken on the issue, today accused the organization of basing its decision on a committee of "11 unelected, unnamed bureaucrats."

"Why not put out a call and make it a democratic process?" he said to ABCNews.com. "Why have a secretive committee make the decision?

"I believe the vast majority of Scout families do not support their policy on excluding gays, and if that is the case, they picked an awfully interesting way of affirming that in their report," Wahls said.

"It's disappointing," he said. "The first value of the Scout's law, is a scout is trustworthy, and this process does not sound trustworthy. We don't know who the people are -- they are not named and they are not willing to accept responsibility for their actions."

But the Scouts' chief executive, Bob Mazzuca, told the AP that both leaders and Scouts overwhelmingly support the policy.

"The vast majority of the parents of youth we serve value their right to address issues of same-sex orientation within their family, with spiritual advisers and at the appropriate time and in the right setting," Mazzuca said. "We fully understand that no single policy will accommodate the many diverse views among our membership or society."

Just this week AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson, an executive board member of the Boy Scouts of America, said he was committed to ending the ban. He takes over as president in 2014, according to Wahls.

"Things are changing," said Wahls. "He will be one of the three most powerful men in the organization."

The exclusion policy was challenged in 2000, but the U.S. Supreme Court sided with the Boy Scouts of America, ruling 5-4 that the organization was exempt from state laws that bar anti-gay discrimination.

The court overturned a ruling by the New Jersey Supreme Court to require a troop to readmit a longtime gay scoutmaster who had been dismissed.

The Girl Scouts of America has had a diversity policy and non-discrimination clause since 1980.

GLAAD President Herndon Graddick expressed dismay over the decision.

"With organizations including the Girl Scouts of the USA, the Boys & Girls Club and the U.S. military allowing gay Americans to participate, the Boy Scouts of America need to find a way to treat all children and their parents fairly," said Graddick in a prepared statement.

"Until this ban is lifted, the Scouts are putting parents in a situation where they have to explain to their children why some scouts and hard-working scout leaders are being turned away simply because of who they are. It's unfair policies like this that contribute to a climate of bullying in our schools and communities. Since when is that a value worth teaching young adults?"

Chad Griffin, president of the Human Rights Campaign, the largest U.S. gay-rights group, called the Scouts' decision "a missed opportunity of colossal proportions."

"With the country moving toward inclusion, the leaders of the Boy Scouts of America have instead sent a message to young people that only some of them are valued," he said. "They've chosen to teach division and intolerance."
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

News Re: Boy Scouts Reconfirm Policy: No Gays Allowed

Post by Tony Marino Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:35 pm

LOL then why are so many of the scout leaders gay?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:37 pm

Tony Marino wrote:LOL then why are so many of the scout leaders gay?
    If that's true, then there's no reason for any outrage over what the boy scouts say. lol
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:38 pm

THIS is why I join those who insist that the BSA does not have free access to MY schools, fire stations and other public venues to do their private, exclusionary activities.

It is a shame that they promote such intolerance as a child oriented org. They are a little better than the KKK, but not by much. At least the KKK is upfront about its discrimination against race, homosexuals and differing religious beliefs.
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:13 pm

Shame on them but I think it's gonna be their own undoing. The scouts just like religion is becoming less prominent with time. These kind of attitudes are making orgs that cling to them more passe.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:22 pm

I think I posted the story that they were considering lifting the ban. I was hopeful but not surprised by this. It's their private club so let them stay on private property.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:22 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:I think I posted the story that they were considering lifting the ban. I was hopeful but not surprised by this. It's their private club so let them stay on private property.

For the most part. Do they sell Samoas? If not, then I don't have any interest in them.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:57 am

Nystyle709 wrote:

For the most part. Do they sell Samoas? If not, then I don't have any interest in them.

I think just the Girl Scouts do the Samoas.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:28 am

Shale wrote:THIS is why I join those who insist that the BSA does not have free access to MY schools, fire stations and other public venues to do their private, exclusionary activities.

It is a shame that they promote such intolerance as a child oriented org. They are a little better than the KKK, but not by much. At least the KKK is upfront about its discrimination against race, homosexuals and differing religious beliefs.
    co-signs
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:03 pm

If the scouts reversed their position, THAT would have been the end of them. Conforming to politically correct pressure doesn't ever make the secular bigots suddenly start liking you. I'm glad at least some groups have the stones to not cave to the social blackmail the bigots of phony "tolerance" use to try and bully those with different worldviews. Plus, if somebody doesn't like the boy scouts, there's always the girl scouts. lol I am sure they'll let your son in if he wants to be a girl scout. So everyone can be happy if they let themselves be. Smile
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:09 pm

but they don't mind a pedophile here and there.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:00 pm

Suzi wrote:but they don't mind a pedophile here and there.

I think you're confusing them with the Catholic Church. Eh...maybe not Shrugs (Oh well…)
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:25 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

I think you're confusing them with the Catholic Church. Eh...maybe not Shrugs (Oh well…)
    Maybe the boy scouts hasn't had that problem in the US, but here in Canada we have sure been hearing about them, and of course the church as well. Where young boys gather in groups it appears that some men can't keep their hands off, and those pedophiles of course love the fact that they can choose from all those children so they too gather around.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:14 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

I think just the Girl Scouts do the Samoas.

I already knew that.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:53 pm

I don't think there is anything further I could say about this fucktard organization that I haven't already said in my blog. I've been talking about the BSA's bullshit for years and all of a sudden it's coming to light. Sometimes I hate being right!
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:29 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:

I already knew that.

That's cool. I don't get your rhetoricals sometimes and Suzi doesn't get my sarcasm big grin In hindsight I probably should have said, "The Boy Scouts should weed out the pedophiles as well as the Catholic Church."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:35 am