CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Bluesmama
RedBedroom
Marc™
Nystyle709
Shale
Chris
10 posters

The scouts

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

The scouts Empty The scouts

Post by Chris Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:05 am

What's your opinion of the Boy/Girl scouts? Do you think it's something beneficial for kids to be part of? Would you push/allow your kids to become scouts?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

The scouts Empty Re: The scouts

Post by Shale Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:26 am

The BSA is a discriminatory private club that harms kids by not encompassing all kids.

Those who are excluded (homosexuals and atheists) are harmed by insinuation that they are somehow less acceptable. Those that do meet the requirements to join are harmed by feelings of privilege and superiority over those excluded.

I actively protest when the BSA gets use of publicly funded facilities such as schools and auditoriums for their discriminatory functions and they are fast being driven to private church facilities where they need to be contained.

Last edited by Opa Shale on Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:25 pm

I don't have as problem with them.....but like beauty pageants.....the parents can make them unpleasant for the kids. It turns into a competition for them. I used to be in Girl Scouts. I was a brownie.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:15 pm

Awww. Babygirl in her brownie outfit, smiling for the adults and scaring the hell out of the other little girls. laughing

I was in the cub scouts when I was 7, but even then I thought the shit was wack. Out of guilt for being an only child, my mother made me join.

It's nothing I'd push my kids to do.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:19 pm

I am sure they are good for some. I honestly have never spoken to a kid that tried it and liked it. I took my son to one cub scout informational meeting and luckily, he wasn't feeling it. I certainly wasn't feeling it. It seemed like they wanted to do a bunch of stuff but rush it all by fitting large activities into weeknight schedules.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:11 pm

Certainly. I had no interest in it but I think it's great for the kids who do. They teach a lot of things that schools don't, but it's only for those who can commit.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:36 pm

Once upon a time I think they had merit, but that was a lifetime ago, now the parents do all the work for them and they don't seem to take anything from their experiences, what ones they do have.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:48 pm

There are benefits to the boys, mainly in the camping skills and experience. I was an Assistant Scoutmaster - Baltimore Area Council when I was in the Air Force in '67. We did campouts in the local woods and our main event was a Camporee at Gettysburg for 3 days.

The scouts 1967RobBSATroop713Gettysburgweb-1

But, I was not an official Assistant Scoutmanster. I was an agnostic and therefore could not join the BSA. The Scoutmaster almost quit over this but we compromised. I illegally wore the uniform shirt and patch and me and the other assistant took the boys on that outing.

Years later I was Scoutmaster of a troop I formed in Marrero LA just for the disturbed boys at the place I worked. We also included the deaf children from another facility on the same property. We went to a couple of campouts and the boys really enjoyed it. IDK if they even asked my religion. I was almost Buddhist - maybe I put that on the form.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:35 am

IMO it's an outdated group. If my daughter wanted to participate, I'd consider it but it wouldn't be my idea.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:08 pm

Marc™️ wrote:Awww. Babygirl in her brownie outfit, smiling for the adults and scaring the hell out of the other little girls. laughing.

LOL. Really, I was a good brownie. My mother pulled me out though because she didn't like the director of my group.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:26 pm

Boy scouts are good, girl scouts are not. I'd not push the kids into either but there'd be no entry into the girl scouts, period. big grin
    femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Post by femme fatale Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:36 pm

RedBedroom wrote:I am sure they are good for some. I honestly have never spoken to a kid that tried it and liked it. I took my son to one cub scout informational meeting and luckily, he wasn't feeling it. I certainly wasn't feeling it. It seemed like they wanted to do a bunch of stuff but rush it all by fitting large activities into weeknight schedules.

I don't have kids, but based on what I have seen I can believe that having a kid in the scouts probably adds inconvenience to a parents day/week. Shopping for uniforms and special accessories, driving them to and from den meetings and other get togethers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 3:21 am