CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Kids skipping ahead/being held back grades

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Kids skipping ahead/being held back grades Empty Kids skipping ahead/being held back grades

Post by Chris Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:34 am

Say your child's teacher determined that they were capable of skipping past their next grade level, and could instead go into the one after that. Your child, however, didn't want to go into an unfamiliar classroom where he knew no one and had no friends. Would you allow him to continue on in his correct grade level, or insist that he make the leap?

On the flip side, if you saw that your child was struggling in his current grade level, and teachers recommended that he be held back, but he didn't want to; would you have him repeat the grade or allow him to advance?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Kids skipping ahead/being held back grades Empty Re: Kids skipping ahead/being held back grades

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:45 am

I would insist that he make the leap and if he needed to be held back, I would hold him back.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Kids skipping ahead/being held back grades Empty Re: Kids skipping ahead/being held back grades

Post by Supernova Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:06 am

While I'm inclined to agree if they're not getting it they shouldn't be allowed to pass, I have NEVER heard of ANYBODY actually benefiting from being held back, even 80 years ago when my grandmother was held back, it didn't do her any good either and to this day she is STILL resentful about it.

I'm not sure about skipping grades though.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:36 am

My 11 year old daughter looked like an older teen, very full figured. Apparently the school thought she was older and wanted to skip her to the next grade. Which would have put her in a different school with a whole new crowd of kids. I said no, but had I realized they thought she was older I would have informed them of her age! If they had wanted to skip her from say grade 4 or 5 to the next grade I would have allowed it because it would have meant her staying in the same school with her peer group, but I felt 6th grade to Jr High was too much of a change all at once.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:39 am

I would keep the kid in his class with his peers and find a way to give extra tutoring for either direction the kids intellect went. One year in childhood often makes a lot of difference in development and being the largest or smallest in class has a lot of impact on social development.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:54 pm