CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
Alan Smithee
TPP
MandyPerfumeGirl
Supernova
Nystyle709
Tony Marino
Forgiveness Man
Chris
12 posters

Should kids be encouraged to fight back?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should kids be encouraged to fight back? Empty Should kids be encouraged to fight back?

Post by Chris Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:18 am

When I was about five or six years old, my dad said to me: 'if someone hits you, hit them back.' When I went to school, however, the teachers and administration said the exact opposite thing; imploring us to 'walk away' from fights.

Which approach do you think is the better advice to kids. For them to stand up and defend themselves against a bully, or to not take the bait?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Should kids be encouraged to fight back? Empty Re: Should kids be encouraged to fight back?

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:32 am

Probably somewhere in between. Fighting back certainly has it's place. Sometimes the creep just needs a punch, but sometimes there are more clever ways to punish them that are more effective.

However, either way, what I AM against is bullies getting off scott free while we punish any kid who fights back. (Case in point, OLTL)
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Should kids be encouraged to fight back? Empty Re: Should kids be encouraged to fight back?

Post by Tony Marino Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:02 am

Depends on the situation, if a Bully is picking on a kid in school then yeah he should fight back if he can. The more weakness you show a Bully the more you get picked on.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:00 pm

Chris wrote:When I was about five or six years old, my dad said to me: 'if someone hits you, hit them back.' When I went to school, however, the teachers and administration said the exact opposite thing; imploring us to 'walk away' from fights.

Which approach do you think is the better advice to kids. For them to stand up and defend themselves against a bully, or to not take the bait?

Hit their asses right back. Never let someone disrespect you.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:06 pm

I agree, today if a child is being bullied, he has three choices, do nothing and still get the hell beat out of him, tell somebody, for which the bullies say they'll beat them up even more, or fight back, for which they'll go to jail for assault and battery. With those choices the only ones available, is it any wonder kids feel helpless and see killing the bullies and then themselves as the only way out?

But I digress, the kids NEED to be able to fight back because these damn rules are NOT stopping the bullies from beating the shit out of anyone. It's like when people say 'ban guns and there'll be no more gun crimes' but the ONLY people it stops are the LAW ABIDING CITIZENS, the criminals will still have them and still commit crimes with them. So bullies are still going to hit other kids whether it's illegal or not because nobody ever finds out about it and even when they do, they don't bother doing anything, so they need to abolish the rules of no fighting and let the other kids fight back.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:49 pm

Kids absolutely need to be taught to fight back. That whole stupid thing of "walk away from the fight," that's just stupid and it makes a person look like a pussy. You have to stick up for yourself and not let anyone push you around, because if you don't put people in their place, people will shit all over you.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:38 pm

I think that they should be taught to defend themselves, but also to recognize a real threat from someone who is all talk and just a bully.

In our society, too often the person who was just defending themselves gets in trouble right along with the bully.

I teach my kids to walk away, but if someone WONT LET them walk away then I want them to know how to defend themselves.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:27 pm

We always encouraged or daughter to stand up for herself but not to start anything. It never really was necessary for her to get involved in a physical confrontation with anyone but if she had...and had gotten in trouble for it, both her mother and I would have had her back as long as she was defending herself.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:32 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:I think that they should be taught to defend themselves, but also to recognize a real threat from someone who is all talk and just a bully.

In our society, too often the person who was just defending themselves gets in trouble right along with the bully.

I teach my kids to walk away, but if someone WONT LET them walk away then I want them to know how to defend themselves.

co-signs

There's a time to fight back and a time to walk away and it's important for kids to know what to do. Knowing how to defend yourself is important but knowing when to walk away is also important.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:52 am

Definitely should teach kids to stand up for themselves. Tell them not to START a fight but don't back down if somebody is trying to pick on them.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:06 am

Without question kids should be encouraged to stand up for themselves. My two girls both know that no one is to put their hands on them in any situation and should it happen, to look for a vulnerable spot and punch the shit out of them. Then later I'll do the rest.
    femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Post by femme fatale Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:01 am

Yes I think all kids should be encouraged to generally stand up for to a bully and defend themselves if need be. But I also feel it has to be stressed when it's time to fight and when it's time to let piddly shit go and walk away. Kids don't always get THAT message and think standing up for themselves means looking for a challenge or daring somebody to fight.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:45 pm