CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Impact
Supernova
femme fatale
7 posters

Hiring vets

femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Question Hiring vets

Post by femme fatale Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:38 pm

There seems to be a push in the media to raise awareness about hiring vets. It actually never occurred to me that vets would have a difficult time finding employment after their discharge. I would think having that on their resume would be a huge gold star. I don't know why any employer wouldn't wanna hire a vet.

Do yall know any vets that had a hard time in the job force??? Why is that?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Question Re: Hiring vets

Post by Supernova Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:50 pm

I don't know any personally but I would say the why is a lot of them are coming back from the Middle East and if they're still in one piece physically, then there's the mental part to deal with and PTSD in a soldier can create a lot of obstacles in adjusting back to a civilian's life.

Though this reminds me, my mother brought this up the other day. 40 years ago her first husband got his arm blown off in Vietnam, and 40 years later the soldiers are STILL coming back blown to bits, 40 years later and the same thing is still happening even with all the new microscopic technology and all the ways they can now detect bombs and explosives, etc., so WHY is this still happening just like nothing's changed?
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:54 pm

Most vets enter the military at a young age and have little previous work experience. So when they get out, they don't have much else to put on a resume than that. Noble as veteran status is, by the time you're 30 employers expect you to have had a substantial amount of working experience in the field that you're applying to and don't wanna train. If you spent all of your 20's in the army and haven't worked outside of it, then finding a job is gonna be challenging.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:21 pm

Would imagine it would be especially difficult to find work if their discharge was dishonorable.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Vets having difficulty being hired is old news. There are many factors why they don't get hired....but it also depends on what job it is. Many city, state and local employers give credit to applying vets and other people who have served in the military over other applicants.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:11 pm

Combat veterans are pretty much consigned to security or police work, but there are lots of MOS where ppl train in civilian applicable jobs, from cooking to computer tech.

When I got out I went to the employment agency in New Orleans. They looked at my job experience, Radio Intercept Analyst, last duty station at National Security Agency with a Top Secret clearance. The woman gave me a paper with an address - didn't say who would be interested in hiring. When I stepped off the elevator in the downtown office bldg, there was the big logo in the hall - Central Intelligence Agency. Who Knew? I didn't get the job.

I got a job as a security guard and later as a police officer, which I was given extra points on the scoring for being a veteran.

Actually, I was better suited as an office worker, which after 30 years of working is what I am doing now. But the regimentation preps almost any serviceman for police work.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:14 pm

I have always wondered too why a seemingly good person coming home from combat would have a difficult time finding a job. But there are SO MANY coming home and the unemployment rate is so high. I guess it must have to do with the large number of vets. That plus employers are not looking at the service as fitting job experience.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 5:55 am