CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+23
MandyPerfumeGirl
LVJoel
tmontyb
Marc™
Tigereyes
femme fatale
pisces33
Kral
Impact
kinetic
Wadsworth
Nystyle709
CeCe
Nhaiyel
CatEyes10736
Tony Marino
Jason B.
captainbryce
Forgiveness Man
JADACITY
RobbieFTW
SecHandNews
Chris
27 posters

Gay marriage: your opinion?

Poll

Are you in favor of marriage rights for same sex couples?

[ 21 ]
    Gay marriage: your opinion? Bar_left84%Gay marriage: your opinion? Bar_right [84%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Gay marriage: your opinion? Bar_left8%Gay marriage: your opinion? Bar_right [8%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Gay marriage: your opinion? Bar_left4%Gay marriage: your opinion? Bar_right [4%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Gay marriage: your opinion? Bar_left4%Gay marriage: your opinion? Bar_right [4%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Gay marriage: your opinion? Bar_left0%Gay marriage: your opinion? Bar_right [0%] 

Total Votes: 25
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Gay marriage: your opinion? Empty Gay marriage: your opinion?

Post by Chris Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:54 am

Where do you stand on this issue?
    SecHandNews
    SecHandNews
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 7

Gay marriage: your opinion? Empty Re: Gay marriage: your opinion?

Post by SecHandNews Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:42 pm

I totally support it 100%. To legally deny any one segment of people the same rights as everyone else is simply un-American and just plain stupid. If two people want to have a relationship and marry each other, how does that affect the lives of anyone else? I don't see what the big deal is anyway.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:21 am

Well being gay myself I think it should be legal. I got no plans of ever getting married tho. But nothing should be off limits to some while 90% of the world is able to enjoy it. THAT's called "special rights"! lol
    JADACITY
    JADACITY
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

Post by JADACITY Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:17 am

There's no reasonable argument against it. Is it really that big a deal??? Imagine if all the time and energy spent on stopping same sex couple from marrying was redirected at fixing unemployment and the economy.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:10 pm

bump
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:29 pm

I'm being the rebel and voting "No." Razz There's no logical reason for it.

Last edited by Forgiveness_Man on Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:16 pm

I see no logical argument against it, therefore I vote yes.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:46 pm

Sure. Not really all that pressed on it though. I mean from my own observation, the gay community is pressed on marriage rights not so much because they long to marry (some are though) but because it's the last piece of the puzzle regarding equal rights and a final middle finger to anti-gay fundies.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:11 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:I'm being the rebel and voting "No." Razz There's no logical reason for it.

Well what are the non-logical reasons then? If 2 people are in love and want to pledge their lives together and bind it legally, why should they not be allowed to?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:08 pm

Tony Marino wrote:Well what are the non-logical reasons then? If 2 people are in love and want to pledge their lives together and bind it legally, why should they not be allowed to?
    That's the non-logical reason. Razz Just cause people wanna do something doesn't necessarily mean the law has to or should accommodate them. When I hear a logical reason why it should be done, we'll talk.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:19 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:That's the non-logical reason. Razz Just cause people wanna do something doesn't necessarily mean the law has to or should accommodate them. When I hear a logical reason why it should be done, we'll talk.

What's your logical reasoning for two adults who are in love (and happen to be of the same gender) not being allowed to partake in a union that would legally bond them?

I totally support gay marriage. IA with the post that said all the focus and attention put in trying to keep it halted for as long as possible is ridiculously misplaced and would be better spent on more pressing matters. People are hungry, jobless, unable to pay for doctor visits, etc., but governmental and religious groups want to focus their energy trying to prevent gay couples from being able to wed. How silly. It's ultimately an unwinning task too, because eventually same sex couples WILL be able to marry. They can slow the train down, but they can't stop it.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:29 pm

^^^^

I think the burden of proof lies with those wishing to change things. There's no logical reason to change it, hence I don't see why we gotta waste time doing it. The "two people in love" thing is an emotional argument, not a logical one. When we let emotions dictate laws, we end up with a bunch of laws that really don't help anybody. And as you said, there are more important things to worry about than gay marriage. So since we don't have it now, why waste time with it when there are real problems and injustices to correct. And you might be right, you can't stop the train, which is a shame cause it is headed for a cliff and stopping it would actually be in it's best interest. Wink
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:51 am

Forgiveness_Man wrote:That's the non-logical reason. Razz Just cause people wanna do something doesn't necessarily mean the law has to or should accommodate them. When I hear a logical reason why it should be done, we'll talk.

I meant to edit my previous post. Are you an American Citizen?? Just curious.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:51 am

Tony Marino wrote:I meant to edit my previous post. Are you an American Citizen?? Just curious.

Yah? Not entirely sure how that's relevant.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:14 am

Forgiveness_Man wrote:^^^^

I think the burden of proof lies with those wishing to change things. There's no logical reason to change it, hence I don't see why we gotta waste time doing it. The "two people in love" thing is an emotional argument, not a logical one. When we let emotions dictate laws, we end up with a bunch of laws that really don't help anybody. And as you said, there are more important things to worry about than gay marriage. So since we don't have it now, why waste time with it when there are real problems and injustices to correct. And you might be right, you can't stop the train, which is a shame cause it is headed for a cliff and stopping it would actually be in it's best interest. Wink

Emotions and evolving socio-political opinion have been dictating and/or altering laws since the beginning of time. If this weren't the case, then there'd still be slavery, legally enforced racial segregation, and women would remain unable to vote. If there is a large number of citizens wishing to partake in this legally endorsed social construct, then there is no logical reason to not change it. When CatEyes pointed out that there are more pressing matters to attend to, she was making the point that the time, energy and money spent to keep gays out of the institution would be better spent elsewhere.

I co-signs what others have said in this thread; that there is no logical reason to prevent same sex couples from being able to legally marry. This civil right would in no way affect anyone else at all, and churches would not be forced to perform ceremonies for same gender couples, if they preferred not to.

The bottom line is that some still want a demographic to openly (and legally) subjugate, LGBT are arguably the last group of have-not's to snub, and some people don't want to give that power trip up.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:01 pm

^^^^

Those things weren't really based on emotion, this is.(And I am glad you conceded that) And yes, I realize that was HER point, I was showing how her point works both ways.

There is no logical reason TO change anything. It's nothing to do with a power trip, and the LGBT are not a group of "have not's" either. There's just no reason to change it and cloaking the attempts in "they love each other" and "Civil Rights" doesn't do anything but distract from that. From where I see it, we all have equal rights. When I see genuine discrimination, then I'll put the outrage cap on.

Last edited by Forgiveness_Man on Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:09 pm

Totally completely 100% support it. I believe one of the major obstacles is religion. I have nothing against people who want to live by their religious doctrine or books but they have no right to inflict it on everyone else. Religion has no place in government. People who are in love have every right to marry regardless of gender. If those who want to "protect" marriage focused on their own maybe the divorce rate wouldn't be so high. Gay couples should be entitled to the same rights & privileges as straight married couples.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW

Male

Post by RobbieFTW Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:58 pm

I just don't understand what the fuck difference it makes to someone if some gay couples wanna marry. What's it to you??? How does this affect anyone but them? Every citizen have to be given the same legal rights EQUALLY else this ain't America. Yes I support it! If you don't like gay marriage then don't have one.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:40 pm

Hey, let them be as miserable as heterosexual married couples. IA with everyone else, I don't see any reason to NOT make it legal. The energy wasted in trying to stop gay marriage is ridiculous. Obviously there are plenty of gay couples who want to be legally married and share the same burdens as other married couples....fuck it, pass the law and move the fuck on.
    Wadsworth
    Wadsworth
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male
    Rep : 16

Post by Wadsworth Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:53 pm

I'm that last choice: indifferent. Ban it or legalize it, make me no nevermind.
    kinetic
    kinetic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 19

Post by kinetic Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:43 pm

Gay marriage has been legal here in Canada for about 5 years. Oddly enough we didn't descend into the depths of hell afterwards.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:26 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:^^^^

But you still didn't offer a logical reason as to why two consenting adults who want to be legally bonded as spouses should not be able to, because they are of the same gender.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:09 am

^^^Because the burden of proof of that is on those wishing to change the law. Nobody has offered any logical reason why they SHOULD change the definition other than that "they want to."
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:59 am

It appears to me someone needs to be enlightened more on the subject.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW

Male

Post by RobbieFTW Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:01 am

Tony Marino wrote:It appears to me someone needs to be enlightened more on the subject.

It appears to me that someone is a HOMOPHOBE and you know what they say about homophobes and their own latent homosexual desires! :biggrin: Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:06 am