CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+23
MandyPerfumeGirl
LVJoel
tmontyb
Marc™
Tigereyes
femme fatale
pisces33
Kral
Impact
kinetic
Wadsworth
Nystyle709
CeCe
Nhaiyel
CatEyes10736
Tony Marino
Jason B.
captainbryce
Forgiveness Man
JADACITY
RobbieFTW
SecHandNews
Chris
27 posters

Gay marriage: your opinion?

Poll

Are you in favor of marriage rights for same sex couples?

[ 21 ]
    Gay marriage: your opinion? - Page 3 Bar_left84%Gay marriage: your opinion? - Page 3 Bar_right [84%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Gay marriage: your opinion? - Page 3 Bar_left8%Gay marriage: your opinion? - Page 3 Bar_right [8%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Gay marriage: your opinion? - Page 3 Bar_left4%Gay marriage: your opinion? - Page 3 Bar_right [4%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Gay marriage: your opinion? - Page 3 Bar_left4%Gay marriage: your opinion? - Page 3 Bar_right [4%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Gay marriage: your opinion? - Page 3 Bar_left0%Gay marriage: your opinion? - Page 3 Bar_right [0%] 

Total Votes: 25
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Gay marriage: your opinion? - Page 3 Empty Re: Gay marriage: your opinion?

Post by Kral Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:03 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:I thought I explained it. It ain't got nothing to do with hating gay people. It's merely a belief that marriage is one thing and one thing alone. The poll did ask a question, and I didn't think only one answer was allowed. Razz

A bit defensive, aren't you? All I did was ask you why.
    pisces33
    pisces33
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by pisces33 Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:22 am

I am for it 100 %. There have been too many cases when one partner is ill the other is denied access to him/her. Obama is changing that, yay.
    pisces33
    pisces33
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female

Post by pisces33 Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:32 am

Forgiveness_Man wrote:

How about the lack of a logical reason to change it? Razz
    How about two people no matter what gender live together and have a good life for however long, say 40 years and one of them dies, and the relatives swoop in and say because they were not legally married, the surviving partner is entitled to nothing even if there is a will? That happens and it is not right.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:00 am

^^^^Okay, NOW we are getting somewhere. That's a common reason given. My solution is that we change the rules of wills then, and we make whoever is in that will get what's coming to them? How about that? Razz Frankly, wills should override everything so if there is an issue with a will not being followed, that's not something gay marriage would fix. It's a problem that requires a better solution.

What if I am a single guy but I have a best friend who needs money. Say I am sick and decide to leave him money when I die. You saying we gotta get hitched to ensure that?

The fact is, if living wills aren't being followed, then the way to solve that isn't to redefine marriage; it's to make it so wills are followed.

So while I can understand the intentions, there's just a better and more efficient way to get what you want done.(Not to mention marriage really wouldn't change much anyway.)

Kral wrote:

A bit defensive, aren't you? All I did was ask you why.

That is actually NOT me being a bit defensive. That is me simply answering a question simply. You haven't seen me getting a "bit defensive." laughing That's nothing but a one-liner in comparison. Wink
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:53 am

Forgiveness_Man wrote:@Robbie: Nothing said meets the definition of homophobia(no hate, no fear, not seeing eye to eye doesn't equate to homophobia), and latent sexual desires? Down boy. Sorry to burst your bubble, I'm taken. Razz

Sorry to burst your bubble, but nothing I said meets the implication of me having any personal interest in you beyond your finding your bigoted ranting conspicuous. Sorry, but I'm not attracted to closet cases guys who are taken. Razz

Last edited by RobbieFTW on Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:54 am

Impact wrote:Come on out the closet Forgiveness, we won't hate you for it.

Gay marriage: your opinion? - Page 3 Lol
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:25 am

Forgiveness_Man wrote:^^^^Okay, NOW we are getting somewhere. That's a common reason given. My solution is that we change the rules of wills then, and we make whoever is in that will get what's coming to them? How about that? Razz Frankly, wills should override everything so if there is an issue with a will not being followed, that's not something gay marriage would fix. It's a problem that requires a better solution.

What if I am a single guy but I have a best friend who needs money. Say I am sick and decide to leave him money when I die. You saying we gotta get hitched to ensure that?

The fact is, if living wills aren't being followed, then the way to solve that isn't to redefine marriage; it's to make it so wills are followed.

So while I can understand the intentions, there's just a better and more efficient way to get what you want done.(Not to mention marriage really wouldn't change much anyway.)

That is actually NOT me being a bit defensive. That is me simply answering a question simply. You haven't seen me getting a "bit defensive." laughing That's nothing but a one-liner in comparison. Wink

It's not as easy as "changing the rules of wills". And gay couples are denied every benefit freely given to straight couples like social security benefits. People can make their wishes known, have legal papers only to have it all disregarded. For example:

The following story documents one such incident of discrimination
    against a same-sex couple from Sonoma, California, who took all the
    required legal steps to establish their health care directives and power
    of attorney rights, but whose preparations were allegedly ignored by
    county officials that, despite the couple's 20 year relationship,
    considered them nothing more than "roommates" and kept them apart when,
    after an accident, one of them was hospitalized in 2008.

From the National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR) case summary:

Clay [Greene] and his partner of 20
    years, Harold, lived in California. Clay and Harold made diligent
    efforts to protect their legal rights, and had their legal paperwork in
    place—wills, powers of attorney, and medical directives, all naming
    each other. Harold was 88 years old and in frail medical condition, but
    still living at home with Clay, 77, who was in good health [but, as this report attests, had been starting to show early signs of cognitive impairment].

One evening, Harold fell down the front
    steps of their home and was taken to the hospital. Based on their
    medical directives alone, Clay should have been consulted in Harold’s
    care from the first moment. Tragically, county and health care workers
    instead refused to allow Clay to see Harold in the hospital.

source which contains rest of article-http://www.care2.com/causes/civil-rights/blog/elderly-gay-couple-separated-by-sonoma-county-officials-violating-couples-express-wishes/

People deserve to be treated like human beings. It's a far superior solution to "changing the rules of wills". What goes on in this country is a travesty. People actually have their property STOLEN from them because they have no legal rights. I think that's a fairly "logical reason".
    femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Post by femme fatale Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:21 pm

It's more than a little silly that a gay couple who has been together for 5, 10, 15 or 20 years can't be legally married, but a dippy straight college couple whose only been dating a few months can up and elope.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:42 pm

CeCe wrote:People deserve to be treated like human beings. It's a far superior solution to "changing the rules of wills". What goes on in this country is a travesty. People actually have their property STOLEN from them because they have no legal rights. I think that's a fairly "logical reason".
    It's only logical in theory. If people can disregard binding legal documents, they'll disregard marriages as well. The idea that allowing gay marriage will stop this is merely a cloak. People do deserve to be treated like human beings, but that is totally unrelated to the gay marriage debate.

As for denying them social security benefits, again, not reason enough to change them. Marriage is between one man and one woman, and if you change one part of the definition, you'll end up changing it all until any such benefits of marriage are just no longer there. Marriage is one thing and one thing alone, IMO. So still, I see zero logical reason to change it. It's all emotional smokescreen and unrelated notions.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:43 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:^^^^ Oh, so because they pay taxes, they have a right to redefine marriage. In that case, I'ma taking three wives.(Don't worry, they'll all pay taxes) We won't be hurting anybody and it will be easier to raise a family with three Moms. Razz And sorry, you do make the positive claims, hence the burden of proof falls on you. But we'll call anybody who doesn't support gay marriage a homophopbe because calling people names is the best way to show that you aren't as intolerant as you make them out to be. *sighs The burden of proof is on the ones looking to make the change. There is no logical reason to make the change, hence they contrive catchphrases and call their "opponents" names to cloak that fact.

Step into the 21st Century? lol I'm there, I just don't use it as an excuse to try and justify a bunch of crap. Razz
    Gay marriage is crap? See, there you go...you're starting to come out now...be blunt instead of dancing around the subject.
    As for me getting laid more often, I'll leave my response to that off. Wink But thanks for the tip. Razz

You're welcome. I think it would do wonders for you.

So you want me to say that marriage should only be between one man and one woman? I thought you could see that when I said that it shouldn't be changed.(Sorry, I gave you the credit of seeing that on your own. You assumed so much about me that wasn't true, I figured you could see at least one thing that was.) Your wrong that everybody presented logical reasons to change it, they said "they want it, they should get it" in summary, and that just ain't logical. Marriage is between one man and one woman, that's what marriage is. Those wishing to redefine it have the burden of proving logical reasons better than "we want it changed."

LOL, nobody in favor of it said that. YOU brought up the 'logical' bs. They said two people who love each other should be able to legally cement the union and they're unable to because the law says two people of the same sex can't marry. WHY is that? If you and your wife can get married, why can't they? Homosexuals aren't new. If you write, then surely you can read. How many laws have been changed....and not necessarily on the federal level, because the constituents 'want it'? Please.

Side note: Looking at the word, homophobia, it's amazing how ridiculously overused it is. I could so write a spoof about how ridiculous the usage of that word has become.

Write it. Maybe it'll get published this time.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:18 pm

^^^
    The reasons why people say they need it are crap. I really don't care what two people do in the privacy of their own home(which is where, IMO, romantic affection should typically be kept anyway, heterosexual or otherwise); it's their business. It's redefining marriage I don't like.

IDK, I see plenty of people getting plenty laid and they're still grumpy meanies. Razz Unless they really aren't and just talk a big game. Wink

I didn't really bring it up. Wink

The reason they can't is cause marriage can only exist between one man and one woman; it's that simple. The poll asked a question, didn't know only one answer was permitted. Razz

What do you mean THIS time? Razz
    Tigereyes
    Tigereyes
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 0

Post by Tigereyes Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:42 pm

I'm 100% straight and married, but I don't see why gays should be treated any different than straight couples. They fall in love and have the same depth of emotions that straight people do, so why discriminate? To say one set can marry and the other can't is just narrow-minded bullshyt in my opinion.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:58 pm

Alright, here's a question....

What's your opinion of making "marriage" a 100% religious concept, while all unions (straight, gay, whatever) are legally civil?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:00 pm

I'd probably go for that. Although I'd need to get into specifics to make sure everybody's on the same page.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:10 pm

captainbryce wrote:I see no logical argument against it, therefore I vote yes.

I'm co-signing this. End of story!!
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:27 pm

^^^^I'll write the sequel! Razz
    LVJoel
    LVJoel
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male

Post by LVJoel Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:07 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:That's the non-logical reason. Razz Just cause people wanna do something doesn't necessarily mean the law has to or should accommodate them. When I hear a logical reason why it should be done, we'll talk.
    Here's the logical reason to recognize gay and lesbian couples' marriages:

It is legal discrimination to bar gay and lesbian couples from the civil institution of marriage. Period.

There are over 1130 rights and benefits that are accorded by the federal government to married couples. These run the gamut from tax benefits to inheritance rights, from being able to absent yourself from work to care for your ailing spouse without fear of losing your job (FMLA) to not having to testify against your spouse in a court of law. Social security survivor-ship rights. Insurance and end-of-life rights. It is argued that a lot of the benefits and rights can be obtained through the filing of legal documents, but 1. to file all the those legal documents takes time and money, 2. the legal agreements can and often are contested by disapproving family members, and they often fall apart, and 3. there is no legal document to give access to FMLA, or to release a party from testifying in court, or for social security survivor-ship, or for many of the other rights that are automatically granted with a marriage license.

Finally, legally, it is not the proponents of marriage equality who must provide a reason for enacting it. Legally, the government must show a compelling interest for denying a fundamental right to a segment of the citizenry. So, your contention that there is no reason to recognize same-sex marriages is faulty. It is YOU that must supply the compelling reason to DENY same-sex couples civil marriage.
    LVJoel
    LVJoel
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male

Post by LVJoel Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:^^^^

I think the burden of proof lies with those wishing to change things. There's no logical reason to change it, hence I don't see why we gotta waste time doing it. The "two people in love" thing is an emotional argument, not a logical one. When we let emotions dictate laws, we end up with a bunch of laws that really don't help anybody. And as you said, there are more important things to worry about than gay marriage. So since we don't have it now, why waste time with it when there are real problems and injustices to correct. And you might be right, you can't stop the train, which is a shame cause it is headed for a cliff and stopping it would actually be in it's best interest. Wink

You are incorrect on two points. 1. Nothing is "changing". There is a recognized right to marry in this country. The United States Supreme Court has ruled on fourteen separate occasions that marriage is a fundamental right. 2. The legal burden of proof rests on those who would deny marriage to same-sex couples, as denying marriage is denying a civil right guaranteed by the Constitution. The opponents of marriage equality must prove that there is a compelling government interest in denying a right to a section of the population. So far, no such compelling government interest has been provided. None. The ONLY reasons that have been advanced for discriminating against are as illogical and founded in bigotry as you claim the emotional argument for same-sex marriage is. Give me any argument against marriage equality and I can categorize it for you into one of these categories:
    It's icky
    It's a sin
    As Judge Walker ruled, neither of those arguments presents a compelling government interest.
    LVJoel
    LVJoel
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male

Post by LVJoel Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:29 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:^^^^

Those things weren't really based on emotion, this is.(And I am glad you conceded that) And yes, I realize that was HER point, I was showing how her point works both ways.

There is no logical reason TO change anything. It's nothing to do with a power trip, and the LGBT are not a group of "have not's" either. There's just no reason to change it and cloaking the attempts in "they love each other" and "Civil Rights" doesn't do anything but distract from that. From where I see it, we all have equal rights. When I see genuine discrimination, then I'll put the outrage cap on.

I, being gay, do not have the right to marry the person who I find to be emotionally, spiritually, intellectually and SEXUALLY compatible, and have that marriage recognized by the government. You do. There's a CLEAR violation of civil rights there. I suppose your argument (assuming you are male) is that YOU have the right to marry a woman and so do I, and NEITHER of us has the right to marry a man. Well, a similar argument was used in the Loving v Virginia case, and the Supreme Court threw it out summarily.

Add to that that marriage equality has already been enacted in five states and the District of Columbia, and that there are currently over 18,000 same-sex couples who hold a legal and valid marriage certificate from the state of California. So there are tens of thousands of same-sex couples who are ALREADY LEGALLY MARRIED, and the federal government won't, because of DOMA, recognize our marriages. That is unconstitutional on several levels. It is unconstitutional because the states have the right to regulate marriages, and the federal government is obliged, by the tenth amendment to recognize those marriages. When the feds say, "well, we'll recognize THESE marriages that the state performs but not THOSE" that is clearly denying the state it's right to regulate marriage. And it is denying due process, under the fourteenth amendment, to those married same-sex couples.

Judge Walker ruled that the sole purpose of Proposition 8 was to discriminate against gay and lesbian couples, to legally reduce their status to that as inferior to straight couples. That's blatant discrimination. Better get out your outrage hat.

LVJoel
    LVJoel
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male

Post by LVJoel Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:53 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:I thought I explained it. It ain't got nothing to do with hating gay people. It's merely a belief that marriage is one thing and one thing alone. The poll did ask a question, and I didn't think only one answer was allowed. Razz
    Marriage has been many things to many societies over the ages. If you are arguing that "traditional marriage" shouldn't be changed, then you are arguing for polygamy and child brides, and wives as property. That's what "traditional" marriage is. A union of two equals who give mutual consent and share mutual responsibilities, the current definition of marriage, is relatively new, especially when you consider that up until the sixties a woman lost her legal identity and right to own property when she married.

"Because it's always been that way" is not only erroneous, it's no reason to allow discrimination to go unchecked. It has NOT "always been that way," and it IS discrimination. Look up the word in the dictionary.
    LVJoel
    LVJoel
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male

Post by LVJoel Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:06 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:^^^
    The reasons why people say they need it are crap. I really don't care what two people do in the privacy of their own home(which is where, IMO, romantic affection should typically be kept anyway, heterosexual or otherwise); it's their business. It's redefining marriage I don't like.

IDK, I see plenty of people getting plenty laid and they're still grumpy meanies. Razz Unless they really aren't and just talk a big game. Wink

I didn't really bring it up. Wink

The reason they can't is cause marriage can only exist between one man and one woman; it's that simple. The poll asked a question, didn't know only one answer was permitted. Razz

What do you mean THIS time? Razz

It's not redefining marriage, it's expanding the definition. That may seem like pure semantics to you, but it's not. If you are in possession of a balloon, it's still a balloon whether it is deflated, full of air, or popped. Now, if you took said balloon and stretched it out over a frame, and made it into, say, a trampoline for a flea circus, THEN it would no longer be a balloon, because you have changed it's function. Allowing same-sex couples to marry, and legally recognizing those marriages does not change the function of marriage in any way, and hence, the definition of marriage is not changed.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:40 pm

I voted yes to support gay marriage. Some of the conservatives say "a marriage should stay between between a man and a woman", but that's too old-fashioned - it's time this country redefined marriage. If this country kept leaning on what it's only known, then we would never get anywhere. And for those who are against gay marriage, I don't understand that - how would gay marriage hurt you? You'd still have all your rights, gays are only asking for the same thing. Is it so terrible to treat everyone equally?
    kinetic
    kinetic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 19

Post by kinetic Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:00 pm

As I mentioned before in this thread, here in Canada we have full marriage equality for everyone - straight and gay, and it hasn't sent us crashing into the depths of hell. No one has died from it, no one cares about what other couples do with their relationships. It's just business as usual. It's easy to chuckle at the US (Land of the Free) having such an issue with this. Makes no sense.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:19 pm

I've been married to the same woman for 27 years. Letting two people of the same sex do the same thing doesn't diminish our union one bit. I wonder way the lawyer’s lobby hasn’t gotten more involved to open up a new market for divorce lawyers. I’m only half kidding.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:05 am

kinetic wrote:As I mentioned before in this thread, here in Canada we have full marriage equality for everyone - straight and gay, and it hasn't sent us crashing into the depths of hell. No one has died from it, no one cares about what other couples do with their relationships. It's just business as usual. It's easy to chuckle at the US (Land of the Free) having such an issue with this. Makes no sense.

For as long as religion is tied up in politics, there is going to an issue with gay marriage. I know the parting line is that no church would ever be required to marry a gay couple if they didn't want should the government legalize same sex marriage....but I wonder how long it would be before a movement...even if it's internal....to get churches to officiate gay nuptials.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:03 am