CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Airlines charge extra for families to sit together

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Airlines charge extra for families to sit together Empty Airlines charge extra for families to sit together

Post by Supernova Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:07 pm

http://redtape.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/18/13921681-airlines-playing-chicken-with-passengers-charging-you-get-to-sit-with-your-kid-fee?lite

The airlines might be rubbing it in everybody's faces that they can pretty much do whatever they want since a lot of people need to fly and don't have a lot of options, and they can get away with it, but every time they pull some new stunt, they are also guaranteeing they will NEVER see any of my money. At the rate the experience of flying is going, I'm going to stay on land for the rest of my life.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Airlines charge extra for families to sit together Empty Re: Airlines charge extra for families to sit together

Post by RedBedroom Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:27 pm

That's total bull shit. I understand airlines have to sometimes change plane assignments and with that comes seat changes. What gets me is it was doable to seat them together...for a fee. Screw that. They booked in advance.

This is good info for people flying with kids a lot. My friend is flying one of those airlines that does direct flights to Disney. She is literally scared shitless because she isn't sure the airline will still be flying from here when the time comes. And they can't afford to take the kids if they don't get this cheapie deal.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Airlines charge extra for families to sit together Empty Re: Airlines charge extra for families to sit together

Post by Shale Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:56 pm

I flew a lot in the '70s the golden age of flying. The airlines treated you like you were paying to fly on their planes, not like you were a freeloading bum who could be pushed around. Could you believe our plane broke down in Paris and the airline put us up for a night in their hotel downtown? Does that happen any more? Or do you just sleep on the floor of the airport waiting for the next plane?

Anyhow, I just started flying again after a quarter century of trains and buses to get around. But the air service, while faster has degenerated to being Greyhound in the sky.

Next Wednesday I am flying to DC on American Airlines. I have been watching the news of AA labor disputes going on and now have to watch not only the tropical storm weather but whether AA is flying or on strike. Maybe I shoulda done the train again.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:28 pm

I don't get it if you buy the tickets all at once and purchase a block at the same time then you all sit together?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:27 pm

I'm scratching my head over this. When my wife printed out our boarding passes for our flight home last Sunday she was able to change our seat assignments so we were all sitting closer together. No big deal. But they had already banged us over the head for $25 to check one bag. Wasn't that long ago that you only were charged for extra baggage.

That being said, yeah it is kind of bullshit to pull that for a flight that was booked enough in advance so they could sit together. But as the article alluded to, I think they could have found a volunteer to switch seats away from the hysterical 5 year old screaming for her mother.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:49 pm