Dividing the housework between spouses Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dividing the housework between spouses

Go down 
+2
Alan Smithee
Supernova
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

Dividing the housework between spouses Empty
PostSubject: Dividing the housework between spouses   Dividing the housework between spouses EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 3:05 pm

What are your thoughts on this?

A few years ago I got involved in a debate with some people who said if the man works and the wife is a stay-at-home wife, then it's on HER to do all the housework because sabes que 'the husband works all day, why should he come home and have to cook and clean?' And there were people who said if the woman worked and the man stayed home it would be the same way. Oddly enough none of these people could answer why then by the same logic it does NOT make sense that if BOTH spouses work, then nobody should do any housework, after all aren't they both working? Aren't they both coming home tired? But oh no, THEN somebody has to do the housework but if one works and one doesn't, the one who does gets a free pass on all the dishes and laundry and cooking and vacuuming, etc.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Dividing the housework between spouses   Dividing the housework between spouses EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 10:58 pm

Supernova wrote:
What are your thoughts on this?

A few years ago I got involved in a debate with some people who said if the man works and the wife is a stay-at-home wife, then it's on HER to do all the housework because sabes que 'the husband works all day, why should he come home and have to cook and clean?' And there were people who said if the woman worked and the man stayed home it would be the same way. Oddly enough none of these people could answer why then by the same logic it does NOT make sense that if BOTH spouses work, then nobody should do any housework, after all aren't they both working? Aren't they both coming home tired? But oh no, THEN somebody has to do the housework but if one works and one doesn't, the one who does gets a free pass on all the dishes and laundry and cooking and vacuuming, etc.

blank stare @ you OK, try this. The distribution of labor in the typical household is economic (income to allow for shelter, food, etc.) and maintenance (the cleaning of said shelter and cooking of said food). In a one paycheck household of your first scenario, the division of labor is clearer, although typically not exclusive along those lines (economic and maintenance) Very often the "bread winner" is also involved in maintenance activities such as lawn care, shoveling snow, etc. In a two paycheck household, the maintenance workload doesn't disappear and performing an economic function isn't (shouldn't be) a "free pass". Both spouses should bear equal responsibility for the maintenance workload. The trade off for the increased workload is presumably greater economic benefit from two paychecks. Your results may vary.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Dividing the housework between spouses   Dividing the housework between spouses EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 11:14 pm

Dividing the housework between spouses 1677402019
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Dividing the housework between spouses   Dividing the housework between spouses EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 12:06 am

Alan Smithee wrote:
blank stare @ you OK, try this. The distribution of labor in the typical household is economic (income to allow for shelter, food, etc.) and maintenance (the cleaning of said shelter and cooking of said food). In a one paycheck household of your first scenario, the division of labor is clearer, although typically not exclusive along those lines (economic and maintenance) Very often the "bread winner" is also involved in maintenance activities such as lawn care, shoveling snow, etc. In a two paycheck household, the maintenance workload doesn't disappear and performing an economic function isn't (shouldn't be) a "free pass". Both spouses should bear equal responsibility for the maintenance workload. The trade off for the increased workload is presumably greater economic benefit from two paychecks. Your results may vary.
co-signs
Yeah, that sounds like a plan. I grew up in a breadwinner/housewife home. That's how it was in post-war America. My dad went to work and got the money and mom did the housework/laundry/cooking & dishwashing. But, dad worked on cars and appliances and built stuff on the house.

I have never been in such a relationship myself - both long-term partners and I had jobs.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Dividing the housework between spouses   Dividing the housework between spouses EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 10:30 pm

When we both worked outside the home, we split it. Now I work inside the home, but have become the one who does everything.
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female
Rep : 87

PostSubject: Re: Dividing the housework between spouses   Dividing the housework between spouses EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 1:13 am

My sister is a 50yr old housewife whose never worked.Not only does she do most of the cooking, cleaning, etc--- but she mows the lawn, shovels the snow & cleans the pool. Her hubby does contribute to the cooking, sometimes dishes. But he works 12hrs a day, usually 5-6 days a week.

In my marriage, we both worked, and we both cleaned. It has to be done, so fighting over who is going to do what is stupid.

In my childhood though... check this out--- my mom worked, and took the role of "the man of the house" and my poor sister wound up cooking, cleaning, watching us kids from the time she was about 12yrs old. And my mom puts her down for never having worked in her life.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dividing the housework between spouses   Dividing the housework between spouses Empty

Back to top Go down

Dividing the housework between spouses
Page 1 of 1