CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Tony Marino
Nystyle709
Chris
7 posters

A city in Florida will no longer hire employees who smoke cigarettes

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

News A city in Florida will no longer hire employees who smoke cigarettes

Post by Chris Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:52 am

Would you consider this going too far?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/fl-delray-smoking-ban-20121001,0,3133130.story

In Delray, smokers need not apply
    It's official. If you puff, you can't work — at least in Delray Beach.

The City Commission is expected to make official today a non-smoker policy that took effect Monday. The city will no longer hire employees who regularly use tobacco products, including cigarettes, cigars, snuff or pipes.

Smokers can cost a company or government agency an average of $12,000 a year in health and disability-related costs.

The City Commission, except for Commissioner Angeleta Gray, agreed to move forward with the policy in July, saying that in tough budget times this was an easy way to save money and the right thing to do in terms of promoting healthy lifestyles among city employees.

Employees hired before Oct. 1 are exempt from the policy, but the city encourages all employees to take advantage of several smoking cessation classes offered throughout the year.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

News Re: A city in Florida will no longer hire employees who smoke cigarettes

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:25 am

LOL. And my mother wonders why I don't want to move to Florida.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:23 pm

What a bunch of baloney. Why don't they just put smokers in a Pillary and publicly flog them? Yeah it is going to far. Another reason I would never consider moving to Florida.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Tony Marino wrote:What a bunch of baloney. Why don't they just put smokers in a Pillary and publicly flog them? ...

Shhh! Someone in Florida will try that next. d-oh!

As anti-smoking as I am, this seems excessive and quite narrowly defined. What about obese ppl who regularly eat at Micky Ds? Have they run the numbers to see how much ppl on high fat diets cost in health benefits? Someone may be able to challenge this in court. Luckily Florida also has too many hungry lawyers so the verdict may still be out on this.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:12 pm

I think it's going too far, but only a bit. I really don't like this idea that smokers should be given extra breaks to smoke. Now if you can smoke on your own time/breaks only, I don't see why you should not be given a job. But if you're gonna insist on as many smoke breaks as you need to get your high on, then I can understand why nobody'd wanna hire you. lol
    femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Post by femme fatale Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:51 pm

It's going too far. I mean to not hire somebody BECAUSE they smoke is discrimination. Period.

That said I don't hold up any business that has a 0 smoking policy on the premises. Smokers should really only get to do it in their own home or car.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:19 pm

A city in Florida will no longer hire employees who smoke cigarettes Sigh
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:45 pm

Most people I know that smoke and have a job will take a 5 minute break in the morning to smoke and then smoke on their lunch hour and a 5 minute break in the late afternoon to smoke. I see nothing wrong with that at all. There are many non-smokers that take more breaks than that during the working day.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 pm