CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Shale
Minerva
Cheaps
Suzi
Supernova
9 posters

Senior citizen centers

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Senior citizen centers Empty Senior citizen centers

Post by Supernova Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:39 pm

Do you see yourself frequenting one of these places when you're in your 70s or 80s?

We bake the pumpkin pies for the Thanksgiving dinner at the one here every year, and I took them down the other day because (don't ask why) they are having their dinner 2 weeks early this time. Anyway, I go in and have a little look around the place, nobody's there but I see a thousand jigsaw puzzles on a shelf, a row of cheap smut romance novels for them to read, one small TV, tables for cards and pool. This is just the opinion of somebody 50+ years away from actually worrying about this, but I would NEVER go to a place like that. You get old and all of a sudden that's supposed to make your day worthwhile? No thanks.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Senior citizen centers Empty Re: Senior citizen centers

Post by Suzi Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:00 pm

We actually joined our local seniors center, then discovered they didn't do anything that interested us. They spent a year calling us to let us know about meeting, then finally stopped.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:24 pm

I'll get back to ya in 30 years.
    Minerva
    Minerva
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 18

Post by Minerva Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:22 am

I go to one once a year to get my taxes done. The reason I don't go more often is because it takes three buses to get there. It's a nice one though. They have Sunday breakfasts and activities all throughout the months including excercise classes, book reviews, theater trips, day trips, dances etc. Or you can just got there and hang out and talk to people.

There are many different ones offering many different things. The key is how many participants they have attending. The more people they serve, the more they have to offer.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:28 am

Cheaps wrote:I'll get back to ya in 30 years.
    yeah that… big grin
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:34 am

Shale wrote:
    yeah that… big grin

Via a séance? Shocked

OK, so you probably can make it to 98. I just hope by then your tighty whities aren't what we call a diaper Wink
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:35 am

face palm On second thought, I think I'll stay the hell out of these places!

TORRANCE, Calif. (AP) — Three people died Tuesday in what appears to be a double murder-suicide at a senior citizens' high-rise south of Los Angeles, police said.

A man in his 80s apparently shot two women shortly after noon before turning the gun on himself in the lobby of the Golden West Tower apartments in Torrance, said Sgt. Robert Watt.

One of the women was an employee of the apartment complex, but victim identities are being withheld until next of kin is notified, Watt said.

Witness Arturo Ramirez, who works at the Golden West Towers, told the Los Angeles Times he locked himself in an office to call 911 after seeing a man who lived in the facility holding a gun.

Ramirez said he heard one of the women killed say, "Please, no! Please!" and then heard two gunshots. A final gunshot came a few minutes later.

Police are still investigating the man's motive, but residents and staff from the senior center told NBC4 that the man had been behaving erratically, and many of them were seeking to have him kicked out of the complex.

"People knew that he was a little bit off," Golden Tower employee Alex Galindo told the TV station. "People were warned, but nobody did anything, so I know there's going to be blood on a lot of people's hands. That's all I can say at this point."

A handgun was recovered at the scene.

Watt said the building's management had received complaints about the alleged shooter but police were never alerted.

Police were trying to obtain surveillance camera recordings of the shooting, he said.

According to the city of Torrance's website, Golden West Towers is a 180-unit, privately owned and operated facility. The low- and moderate-income housing is for seniors who can live independently.

A call to building management wasn't answered Tuesday night, and the voicemail box was full.

The incident was the latest in a string of murder-suicides at senior centers in Southern California in recent years.

In a shooting last month, investigators suspect 45-year-old Colin McGrattan shot and killed his ex-wife and her two nieces at O'Connor Woods Senior Living center in Stockton before killing himself.

In 2010, 77-year-old Arthur Baar shot and killed his wife, Caryl, 72, before turning the gun on himself in Laguna Woods, the south Orange County retirement community formerly known as Leisure World.

http://news.yahoo.com/3-dead-murder-suicide-calif-senior-center-003004522.html

Last edited by Alan Smithee on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:09 am

I will. Ours offers some really cool shit. I read the parks and rec book and often find myself thinking, "This sounds cool," only to realize I've entered the senior programs section.

For a long time I have wanted to volunteer to teach a card making class but I feel a bit shy to do it and worry about how it would all work out with supplies. Maybe some day...
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:11 pm

Cheaps wrote:I'll get back to ya in 30 years.

Must have been tired last night, I'll only be 60 in 30 years.

I meant to say ask me in 40-50 years. Smile That's when I'll be 70-80.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:18 pm

From what I have been told the senior center that is near me offers trips to Atlantic City, they have movie nights, dances, other types of entertainment. I guess it depends of where and how much support the center gets.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:42 pm

Never thought about it, but sure, why not?
    Minerva
    Minerva
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 18

Post by Minerva Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:31 pm

It's always nice to hang out with your peers. I think that's a big attraction of Senior Centers. That and the free pancake breakfasts on Sundays. big grin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:47 am