CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
CeCe
Suzi
Alan Smithee
Shale
Supernova
9 posters

What do you remember?

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

What do you remember? Empty What do you remember?

Post by Supernova Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:08 pm

As a testament to your age and how things have changed in your lifetime (we'll skip over the more historically memorable ones), what are things you remember from throughout your life?

I remember when the new big deal with Froot Loops was they added purple to their multicolored cereal, wow blank stare @ you.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

What do you remember? Empty Re: What do you remember?

Post by Shale Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:42 pm

OK, I already wrote about this years ago.

YOU KNOW YOU'RE GETTING OLD IF:

You collected soft drink bottles for their two-cent deposit, and you could buy something with two cents.

There was an "ice box" in your kitchen.

You remember people saying "I Like Ike."

You feel you personally know Howdy Doody, Clarabelle, or Buffalo Bob.

You remember not having television and you listened to shows on the radio.

You watched black and white movies at the theater.

You watched movies that weren't rated - and didn't need to be.

The first stereo album (vinyl) you heard was a sound track of trains, planes, and thunderstorms.

You rode the Illinois Central "City of New Orleans" when it was the best way to get from Chicago to New Orleans.

You traveled cross-country by car (58 Oldsmobile) on a U.S. Highway.

Traveling by airliner was uncommon, and they all had propellers.

You used a white or colored restroom or drank from a white or colored drinking fountain.

Your first "Pizza Pie" was a memorable experience.

You bought cigarettes at 30 cents a pack (with no health warning) or a Coca Cola for 6 cents a bottle or a hair cut for 25 cents.

You bought gasoline at less than 30 cents a gallon at a "service station" where they pumped the gas, washed your windshield, and checked your oil.

You worked for a minimum wage of $1.65 an hour, and lived comfortably on it.

You ate one of MacDonald's first million hamburgers.

You looked at Playboy centerfolds that didn't show pubic hair.

You got excited listening to the public address speaker in school as Alan Shepard went into space on a 15-minute flight in a Mercury capsule.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:42 pm

Shale wrote:OK, I already wrote about this years ago.

YOU KNOW YOU'RE GETTING OLD IF:

You collected soft drink bottles for their two-cent deposit, and you could buy something with two cents.

There was an "ice box" in your kitchen. (Not quite but I remember getting milk delivered from an actual milkman to the small metal box on the porch)

You remember people saying "I Like Ike." (Not quite)

You feel you personally know Howdy Doody, Clarabelle, or Buffalo Bob. (Not quite)

You remember not having television and you listened to shows on the radio. (No but I remember when we only had channels 2,4,5,7,9,11 and sometimes 13 and that we had to get up off our butts to turn the TV off and on or change the channel and if we got to stay up past midnight we heard the station play the Star Spangled Banner and then could watch a test pattern)

You watched black and white movies at the theater. (Possibly)

You watched movies that weren't rated - and didn't need to be. (Yep)

The first stereo album (vinyl) you heard was a sound track of trains, planes, and thunderstorms. (Nope)

You rode the Illinois Central "City of New Orleans" when it was the best way to get from Chicago to New Orleans. (Nope)

You traveled cross-country by car (58 Oldsmobile) on a U.S. Highway. (Nope but I did travel 3/4 of the way on a train)

Traveling by airliner was uncommon, and they all had propellers. (I did fly on a non-jet but I'm too young to remember it)

You used a white or colored restroom or drank from a white or colored drinking fountain. (Nope. I grew up in the north)

Your first "Pizza Pie" was a memorable experience. (I didn't like pizza when I was a child)

You bought cigarettes at 30 cents a pack (with no health warning) or a Coca Cola for 6 cents a bottle or a hair cut for 25 cents.

You bought gasoline at less than 30 cents a gallon at a "service station" where they pumped the gas, washed your windshield, and checked your oil.

You ate one of MacDonald's first million hamburgers. (Not quite the first million)

You looked at Playboy centerfolds that didn't show pubic hair. (big grin)

You got excited listening to the public address speaker in school as Alan Shepard went into space on a 15-minute flight in a Mercury capsule.

I remember baseball trading cards and attaching one to the spokes of your bicycle tire with a wooden clothes pin so it sounded like a "motorcycle". I remember some guy who would walk around the neighborhood carrying a grinding wheel on his back to sharpen knives and scissors for the mothers. I remember a time without area codes or zip codes and when the telephone exchanges were things like Murray Hill (MU) and Audubon (AU). I remember The Automat restaurants. I remember cars without seat belts. I remember ice cube trays that you had to pull a lever handle you had to lift to crack the ice into cubes. I remember when dog owners didn't have to pick up dog shit.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:37 pm

Alan Smithee wrote: I remember baseball trading cards and attaching one to the spokes of your bicycle tire with a wooden clothes pin so it sounded like a "motorcycle". (Did That)

I remember a time without area codes or zip codes and when the telephone exchanges were things like Murray Hill (MU) and Audubon (AU).
    When I was a kid in St. Louis it was Chestnut (CH) and when we moved to the 'burbs it was Harrison (HA).

There was an "ice box" in your kitchen. (Not quite but I remember getting milk delivered from an actual milkman to the small metal box on the porch)

When I was a kid in St. Louis the milk was delivered in a horse drawn wagon. I think it may have been war year gas rationing.

You remember not having television and you listened to shows on the radio. (No but I remember when we only had channels 2,4,5,7,9,11 and sometimes 13 and that we had to get up off our butts to turn the TV off and on or change the channel and if we got to stay up past midnight we heard the station play the Star Spangled Banner and then could watch a test pattern)

Our first TV a 19-inch Zenith console had one channel (I think NBC) when we got it. I remember later my dad working on the dial so we could pick up the other two networks. You also had to know how to change tubes on radios and TVs in those days.

Your first "Pizza Pie" was a memorable experience. (I didn't like pizza when I was a child)

They didn't have pizza parlors so my aunt made one of those craft kit pizzas. It was really good for us kids. My grandfather didn't like it - too exotic I suppose. WWII increased the sale of oregano in this country exponentially. Before the war only a few Italians and Sicilians knew what pizza (or oregano) was.

You ate one of MacDonald's first million hamburgers. (Not quite the first million)

I actually may have sold some of the first million burgers. In 1966 I worked part time at McD while stationed at Ft. Meade MD. They weren't sit-down places, just a walk up window for your order and take it to your car.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:33 pm

I remember and I remember the penny candies that were actually worth eating.

There was an "ice box" in your kitchen.
    We had one when I was a kid, the iceman brought it and put the block into the icebox. Out at the ice truck we usually could get a few cips for ourselves.

You remember people saying "I Like Ike."
    I voted for Ike in the mock elections in my senior year of high school.

You feel you personally know Howdy Doody, Clarabelle, or Buffalo Bob.
    I disliked them, and disliked Kukla Fran and Ollie because I had to spend Halloween with my father and he wouldn't let me trick or treat I had to watch his new TV.

You remember not having television and you listened to shows on the radio.
    I would rush home from school so I could listen to program like the Green Hornet, and the Shadow.

You watched black and white movies at the theater.
    In fact I remember the first movie I ever saw, my grandma took me to Los Angeles to see the eye doctor, if I was good she would take me to see cartoons. She couldn't find cartoons so she took me to see Champagne for Caesar. It was a comedy and I was 5 and a half.

You watched movies that weren't rated - and didn't need to be.
    we were poor folks so not many movies were seen until I was a teenager, although grandma took me to a movie once because she heard it had a lot of African animals in it.

The first stereo album (vinyl) you heard was a sound track of trains, planes, and thunderstorms.
    I don't really remember that we had an combination radio record player when I was a kid it played 78 records.

You rode the Illinois Central "City of New Orleans" when it was the best way to get from Chicago to New Orleans.
    Nope, we lived in California and I have still never been east of Oklahoma

You traveled cross-country by car (58 Oldsmobile) on a U.S. Highway.
    our travels were on a trolly car, or my fathers 47 Buick

Traveling by airliner was uncommon, and they all had propellers.
    yep my father had a pilots licence

You used a white or colored restroom or drank from a white or colored drinking fountain.
    No we lived in California

Your first "Pizza Pie" was a memorable experience.
    At a drive in movie on a date with my to be husband it was awful

I was underage so I bought them out of a machine at the movies as a teen 50 cents

I wasn't buying gas anywhere.

I didn't work either, except baby sitting

You ate one of MacDonald's first million hamburgers.
    We did do that as we were eating at McD's in Orange County where they first became a franchise.

You looked at Playboy centerfolds that didn't show pubic hair.
    the pictures were carefully air brushed

May of 1961 our 3rd child was 3 months old. However it was exciting because the Russians beat us into space and the US was showing that we could do it too.

And by the way I remember 'pulling the chain', most of you won't even know what that means. Shale might know.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:23 pm

Suzi wrote:And by the way I remember 'pulling the chain', most of you won't even know what that means. Shale might know.

I don't remember it in any place in the U.S. but did encounter it in Europe in the '60s & '70s.

BTW, when I was a kid in an old inner city neighborhood, we did not have a hot water heater. Bath water was heated in a big kettle on the kitchen stove. But we did otherwise have indoor plumbing.

Our neighbors had an outhouse! Shocked

It was the only one on the block (can't imagine when every tenement had outhouses in the summer) There must have been a law passed because I remember when our neighbor had a toilet installed right in the middle of the room with a curtain around it. Guess they eventually built a bathroom around it.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Suzi Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:10 am

I actually used one with the wall tank, my grandmother managed an apartment building when I first went to live with her, and that was where the tanks in the apts were. Later we moved onto 3 lots in the north of town. Grandma and grandpa (a contractor) started building a house. We were living in a tent while the house was being built and we had an outhouse. I hated the outhouse, because grandma had found a snake crawling around the seat. In the meantime my grandfather had hurt his eyes and had to stay indoors for it seemed like a year, while grandma and an uncle (also a contractor) continued to build the house. I remember how happy we all were to get indoor plumbing.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:55 am

Shale wrote:

I don't remember it in any place in the U.S. but did encounter it in Europe in the '60s & '70s.

BTW, when I was a kid in an old inner city neighborhood, we did not have a hot water heater (Of course not. Why do you need to heat hot water? blank stare @ you ) Bath water was heated in a big kettle on the kitchen stove. But we did otherwise have indoor plumbing.

Our neighbors had an outhouse! Shocked

It was the only one on the block (can't imagine when every tenement had outhouses in the summer) There must have been a law passed because I remember when our neighbor had a toilet installed right in the middle of the room with a curtain around it. Guess they eventually built a bathroom around it.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:21 am

Alan Smithee wrote: (Of course not. Why do you need to heat hot water? blank stare @ you ) Razz

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:28 am

hi there!
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:42 am

I remember when they "banned" the red m&m which later made a comeback

Cigarettes could be bought in vending machines

People went to the store barefoot

People smoked in stores

Car seats weren't required by law

You could take knitting needles on planes

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:13 am

CeCe wrote:I remember when ... You could take knitting needles on planes
    I remember when you could take a .44 magnum revolver on a plane. (Took that and a .22 magnum revolver in a brief case onto a plane in 1967 - no one checked, no X-ray)
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Suzi Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:54 pm

Car seats weren't required by law
    Cigarettes could be bought in vending machines
    Neither were seat belts standard in vehicles. Funny that, when we still do not have seat belts in school buses.

And machines didn't ask my age that is why for the most part I bought my smokes at the movies.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:52 pm

I remember the transition from Cassette/vinyl to CD.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:33 pm

I remember train tokens and when they were $1.25.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:34 pm

I remember when I could fill my tank to 'F' with $10.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:42 pm

thinking

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:29 am