CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Nystyle709
Tony Marino
Supernova
Chris
8 posters

'Unlocking cell phones becomes illegal'

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

News 'Unlocking cell phones becomes illegal'

Post by Chris Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:12 am

http://wgntv.com/2013/01/25/unlocking-cell-phones-becomes-illegal/

Unlocking cell phones becomes illegal
    by WGN Web Desk

Starting Saturday, Jan. 26, it will be illegal to unlock your cell phone to access different networks.

A new law bans the practice of unlocking phones based on copyright infringement. Advocacy groups question the validity of the law and may challenge it in court.

Unlocking a phone means removing the security feature that prevents the phone from being used on only one carrier’s network and using multiple networks. The feature is used frequently by people who do a lot of international traveling.

Consumers will still be able to buy unlocked phones that are exempt from the law, but they will not be allowed to change existing cell phones.

The new law is based on the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, a federal anti-hacking law.

The Librarian of Congress decided In October of 2012, that personally unlocking phones would no longer be allowed.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

News Re: 'Unlocking cell phones becomes illegal'

Post by Supernova Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:34 am

Somehow I get the idea that this locking and unlocking is different from when my phone reads locked when it's closed.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:42 pm

I didn't even know such a thing was possible LOL!
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:41 pm

Unlocked phones have been out for 5 yrs now....where yall been? And anyway, I don't agree with this new law. Had the iPhone not been so fucking expensive and I refuse to pay that much for a phone....I wouldve bought an iPhone, unlocked it and use it with my t- mobile account a long time ago.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:43 pm

Oh...

Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:06 pm

I never thought to do that anyway.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:49 am

unlock a phone and go to jail longer than a rapist... really???

this is one of those things that makes me laugh. Corporate american and steal everything... but let the little man do it and WHAM.. jailtime. crazy
    legendofzelda
    legendofzelda
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

Post by legendofzelda Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:05 am

Supernova wrote:Somehow I get the idea that this locking and unlocking is different from when my phone reads locked when it's closed.

Yes,It is completely different.
    Unlocking a mobile phone is a procedure to remove any SIM/Network restrictions set on the phone by either the manufacturer of the phone or by the mobile phone's service provider. After unlocking a mobile phone, you can still use it with its existing network or switch over to any other supported network.

An Unlocked phone has many advantages:
    a) Switch to any other network : Once you unlock your phone you can switch to any other network and use the same phone.
    b) Cut roaming costs : With an unlocked phone, you can go to any country/state and save money by using a local network rather than paying high roaming costs to your home network.
    c) Higher resale value : Unlocked mobile phones generally have a higher resale value than a locked phone.

But,As of January 26, consumers will no longer be able unlock their phones for use on a different network without carrier permission, even after their contract has expired.Phones that are bought before January 26 are allowed to unlock using online vendors like ProUnlocking.com .
    A petition is created to ask that the White House ask the Librarian of Congress to rescind this decision, and to make unlocking permanently legal.
    The link for the petition is https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/make-unlocking-cell-phones-legal/1g9KhZG7
    The signatures should be signed before 23rd of February .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:20 am