CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

A rant about television commercials

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Rant A rant about television commercials

Post by Supernova Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:54 am

When I was a kid, I couldn't understand why everybody hated commercials and would cut them out when we were taping things on TV, I liked the commercials, and compared to the crap on today I wish we had the old ones back again.

One thing that I do not like is how today everything is advertised with a bunch of white collared working stiffs in their office cubicles. The idea of advertising is to make people want to buy the product, I don't relate to office stiffs, if anything it'd turn me off of the products. In my opinion good advertising is when you can get someone to like the ad even if they don't like the product. Who remembers this ad for Golden Crisp cereal from the 90s?

And I HATE Golden Crisp cereal, but I've always LOVED this commercial. I call bullshit on this agenda of don't advertise sugary cereals to kids because it contributes to childhood obesity. And what the hell has happened to some of the timeless cereal mascots? Remember when Sonny for Cocoa Puffs was talkative and wore shirts?

And TODAY, he's badly drawn, naked, and doesn't say a word, WHY? Also, what happened to Toucan Sam? Today if you see an ad for Froot Loops on TV they will only tell you about the fiber in it that's good for you, there's no more FOLLOW YOUR NOSE, WHEREVER IT GOES! Why?

Was there something wrong with this?

Also, WHY is it that now the way to advertise Cinnamon Toast Crunch is like it's the new chick only thing like bonbons? It's always women eating this cardboard crap, it used to be marketed, like everything else, towards kids above all else.

You know what? I really don't think I'm going to be stepping on anybody's toes if I say simply put, advertising today sucks, just like most other things. We didn't mind the commercials in the 90s so much because they were fun, they were cool, they got your interest, they weren't boring, they weren't stupid, and they didn't leave you going 'WHAT is this commercial FOR?'.

Another place I'd like to point this out, anybody remember these?

Bit more amusing than a bunch of people at their cubicles going 'mm' in a rhythm.

Of course I know there have always been commercials that made you scratch your head and go 'huh?', but those weren't always the rule, most of them actually used to be good.

Of course that's just my opinion, what's everybody else's?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Rant Re: A rant about television commercials

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:18 am

I usually just tune them out or fast forward through them on a recorded show. LOL, sometimes my wife and I get pissed off that we can't do that when we're watching the show at time of broadcast. Maybe 1 time out of 100, a commercial will pique my interest in the product but that still doesn't mean I'm going out to buy it. These is one of my all time favorites but I'm still not a Gold Card member or on AT&T.

And I'd rather watch this commercial of people standing around office cubicles than any of those cereal ads.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:08 pm

I tune them out or use the time to go piss or something. Some commercials are still funny or good and will be part of an hour-long TV show of world commercials someday. I like to watch those especially the ones from Europe which doesn't have our puritan censors watching for every naughty (funny) thing.

The only thing I find really annoying are the ones that portray absolute dolts (usually men) who don't know how to take care of a fucking cold or cook a nutritious meal. Altho I have actually met such dolts and they just might be the mainstream American standard - it still pisses me off as a liberated man. Blue Cool
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:16 pm

Shale wrote:

The only thing I find really annoying are the ones that portray absolute dolts (usually men) who don't know how to take care of a fucking cold or cook a nutritious meal. Altho I have actually met such dolts and they just might be the mainstream American standard - it still pisses me off as a liberated man. Blue Cool

Well, to hear their wives talk, the cold one isn't far off, but I have to agree, I'm sick to death of all the 'men are too clueless to cook anything, or do ANYTHING right for that matter' ads. Granted there are plenty of men like that in the world, but that's beside the point.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:14 pm

I don't like commercials at all really. If it's something I've recorded, then I will fast forward. If not, then I will temporarily change the channel.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:32 am

Keep in mind that commercials are made for target audiences. When the economy is good, they target the kids, who then bug the parents, who have the money to buy the items. When the economy is bad, no matter how much the kids ask, the parent has to make tough decisions. So in bad economies they try to target the working class and convince them that they need to buy the item.

i miss the commercials that used to have jingles. Toys R Us Does... and Kiddie City did..

There used to be a store called IDEAL... I still remember the whole thing

If you have a passion for fashion
    And you have a craving for savings
    Take the wheel of your automobile
    and head on down to .. I D E A L

I loved the soap opera like coffee commercials too -- dont know if you know about this one SN, but for years, this couple in the commercial met because of the coffee, then kept running into each other, and eventually fell in love--- all in the commercials!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:30 am