Should parents tell their kids there is no God? - Page 2 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should parents tell their kids there is no God?

Go down 
+10
Supernova
Chris
Tony Marino
tmontyb
Forgiveness Man
CeCe
Shale
Alan Smithee
wants2laugh
RobbieFTW
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Should parents tell their kids there is no God? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should parents tell their kids there is no God?   Should parents tell their kids there is no God? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 6:11 pm

I'm neither an Atheist or heavily religious, but I always considered the former to be a group that valued individual expression and free thinking. That being said, in this situation, I would find it disappointing if an atheist parent insisted to their kids that there is no God; I would think that they would simply explain it under the guise of 'Some people believe in a God almighty, while others don't…' and let their kids draw their own conclusions.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Should parents tell their kids there is no God?   Should parents tell their kids there is no God? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 6:13 pm

Chris wrote:
I always considered the former to be a group that valued individual expression and free thinking;

Only until you disagree with them. haha Wink If your free thinking and individual expression offends them, then you gotta go away. big grin
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Should parents tell their kids there is no God?   Should parents tell their kids there is no God? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 6:25 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:
I would say it is often hypocritical as most atheists slander religious people for forcing their beliefs on their kids.

But I have not seen anyone truly give their kid a choice. Most often, kids not given beliefs end up believing in notice of anything. My job is to educate my children in all areas. They have free will to do what they will, but if I don't properly teach them, their bad choices are on me. All parents force beliefs on their kids, whether they try to or not. Sometimes that belief is indifference, but parents who do not care whether or not their child is saved have demonstrated indifference and are forcing that onto their kids.

So sure, let atheists tell their kids what they believe. They just better stop judging me for doing the same.

I'm inclined to agree in part. For all people say parents should NOT force their beliefs on their kids, they do anyway, intentional or not, it's a part of being a parent. You can't raise a blank kid. Now that idea Mike and Gloria had on All in the Family to let their son pick his own beliefs when he got older, nice in theory, but in practice I'm sure it sucks. Kids are their parents' kids, meaning they get things from their parents, both inherited and learned, that's the way raising kids works. Now if you don't have any particular beliefs I agree with teaching them about all the different religions so they know what all there is, but if you are dead set in your beliefs, good luck trying NOT to pass it down to your own kid because how do you go their whole impressionable upbringing NEVER bringing your own opinions up when they're around?
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Should parents tell their kids there is no God?   Should parents tell their kids there is no God? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 6:44 pm

Supernova wrote:
I'm inclined to agree in part. For all people say parents should NOT force their beliefs on their kids, they do anyway, intentional or not, it's a part of being a parent. You can't raise a blank kid. Now that idea Mike and Gloria had on All in the Family to let their son pick his own beliefs when he got older, nice in theory, but in practice I'm sure it sucks. Kids are their parents' kids, meaning they get things from their parents, both inherited and learned, that's the way raising kids works. Now if you don't have any particular beliefs I agree with teaching them about all the different religions so they know what all there is, but if you are dead set in your beliefs, good luck trying NOT to pass it down to your own kid because how do you go their whole impressionable upbringing NEVER bringing your own opinions up when they're around?
I agree. It's pretty hard NOT to force your views on your kids. (Even if your view is indifference.) Honestly, I never really believe that people really want their kids to choose. (I've seen such kids. They usually end up believing in nothing, not because they chose to, but because nothing is all they know.) And I could never see Mike and Gloria ever letting Joey really choose his religion. The moment Joey said anything that Mike disagreed with, you know that whiny liberal would've been yelling at him the same way he yelled at Archie. It just feels like an attempt to seem like you're not forcing your views onto your kids.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Should parents tell their kids there is no God?   Should parents tell their kids there is no God? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 10:12 pm

In the real world it's much more likely that a conservative church goer would blow a gasket if their kid came home and told them they didn't believe in god than a liberal atheist would if their kid came home and said they wanted to go with their friend to church on Sunday. And exposing your children to your beliefs because they live in the same house with you is not forcing your beliefs on them. Not if you let them make up their own minds. Having them endure some ancient ritual demanded by an ancient belief as newborns that their father did because his father went through it because his father went through it, ad infinitum and then sending them off to be instructed by a shaman in the ways of this ancient belief so they can pass the rites of passage of that ancient belief...now that's forcing your views on them.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Should parents tell their kids there is no God?   Should parents tell their kids there is no God? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 11:00 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:

And of course stuff will be written about it? Well, it seems quite a waste to spend so much time writing and fighting against something you don't believe exists. It's one thing if you write about something you believe IN. But to spend so much time writing against something you don't believe exists? Talk about being a fundie.

face palm Things are written for people to learn & understand. Some people have a fondness for knowledge. Seriously? lol
Back to top Go down
FireIce918
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
FireIce918

Female
Rep : 8

PostSubject: Re: Should parents tell their kids there is no God?   Should parents tell their kids there is no God? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 3:20 am

Supernova wrote:

Exactly. I'm 99.99% sure that when I have kids, I will raise them with the same Christian values I believe in. They won't have a choice but to get their butts up on Sunday and go to church, because that's where I'M going, and hopefully their father, too. They're going to learn SOMETHING, even if it's by osmosis alone.

However, I understand as they grow and develop their own opinion, they may not choose the same path I've chosen for myself. I can't say I'll be okay with it; I'd most likely be pissed if they decided to go in a different direction, after all the years I would have put behind giving them a Christian upbringing.

BUUUT...I've never been a religious vigilante, so in the end, I wouldn't be able to force anything on them. I just wonder if I'm going to become one of those mommas that will let you in her house but won't let you eat her food on Sunday if you're not saved or won't recite a bible scripture at the dinner table LOL.
Back to top Go down
CatEyes10736
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
CatEyes10736

Female
Rep : 126

PostSubject: Re: Should parents tell their kids there is no God?   Should parents tell their kids there is no God? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 11:26 pm

Just my opinion but something about forcing atheism of a kid seems more heavy handed and callous than forcing religion on them. I'm all for a parent sensibly sharing their atheist views with their kids, explaining why they feel the way they do and allowing them to draw their own conclusion. But blatantly telling a child "there is no God!" seems forced and a bit cruel. If he or she finds comfort believing in a Deity, let them.
Back to top Go down
femme fatale
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
femme fatale

Female
Rep : 46

PostSubject: Re: Should parents tell their kids there is no God?   Should parents tell their kids there is no God? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 3:30 am

Since there's no church service, bible or study to reinforce people to become better atheists, I don't see how a parent could set up a household and home life centered around atheism like some would religion. You can tell your kid there is no God, but then doesn't the conversation pretty much end there?
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

PostSubject: Re: Should parents tell their kids there is no God?   Should parents tell their kids there is no God? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 12:41 pm

I'm sure it's an individual thing but life really isn't "centered around atheism". It's not a reason for living. But some are heavily into science, the universe & evolution. By having an interest in learning people don't believe stupid things like "people coming from monkeys" or wonder why there are still monkeys lmao
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Should parents tell their kids there is no God?   Should parents tell their kids there is no God? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 1:23 pm

CeCe wrote:
I'm sure it's an individual thing but life really isn't "centered around atheism". It's not a reason for living. But some are heavily into science, the universe & evolution. By having an interest in learning people don't believe stupid things like "people coming from monkeys" or wonder why there are still monkeys lmao
yeah that…

Most religions rely on unquestioning belief in dogma - usually some ancient scriptures with dubious attribution. Whereas some ppl since the Enlightenment have questioned everything and seek proof before subscribing to a "truth."

Challenge Authority is one of my beliefs. One shouldn't swallow something just because it is being fed to you.

Men do not have one less rib than women (count 'em) but there are ppl who actually believe that. The sun does not circle the earth, yet the Church declared that and forced Galileo to recant his findings on threat of torture and death. Oh, in 1992 Pope John Paul II did say "Oops" some 400 years too late - just as some Pope (if there is one) will likely say homosexuality is OK some 400 years from now.

And, fact is we are not "one nation" under god. That lie has been pushed onto a supposed secular nation by christians who have the nerve to claim that they are not pushing their beliefs onto others.

So, would I tell a kid that the Judeo/Christian/Muslim gods are mythology, no more credible than Odin/Zeus/Ram. Yep!
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

PostSubject: Re: Should parents tell their kids there is no God?   Should parents tell their kids there is no God? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 4:30 pm

Shale wrote:

yeah that…

Most religions rely on unquestioning belief in dogma - usually some ancient scriptures with dubious attribution. Whereas some ppl since the Enlightenment have questioned everything and seek proof before subscribing to a "truth."

Challenge Authority is one of my beliefs. One shouldn't swallow something just because it is being fed to you.

Men do not have one less rib than women (count 'em) but there are ppl who actually believe that. The sun does not circle the earth, yet the Church declared that and forced Galileo to recant his findings on threat of torture and death. Oh, in 1992 Pope John Paul II did say "Oops" some 400 years too late - just as some Pope (if there is one) will likely say homosexuality is OK some 400 years from now.

And, fact is we are not "one nation" under god. That lie has been pushed onto a supposed secular nation by christians who have the nerve to claim that they are not pushing their beliefs onto others.

So, would I tell a kid that the Judeo/Christian/Muslim gods are mythology, no more credible than Odin/Zeus/Ram. Yep!

co-signs Question EVERYTHING.
Back to top Go down
tmontyb
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
tmontyb

Male
Rep : 37

PostSubject: Re: Should parents tell their kids there is no God?   Should parents tell their kids there is no God? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 10:12 pm

My take is, keep it to your damn self. Is there God or God is just fairytale? Don't care one way or the next. Me personally, I don't want to hear from either side. JMO!
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Should parents tell their kids there is no God?   Should parents tell their kids there is no God? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 10:31 pm

Chris wrote:
I'm neither an Atheist or heavily religious, but I always considered the former to be a group that valued individual expression and free thinking. That being said, in this situation, I would find it disappointing if an atheist parent insisted to their kids that there is no God; I would think that they would simply explain it under the guise of 'Some people believe in a God almighty, while others don't…' and let their kids draw their own conclusions.

Should parents tell their kids there is no God? - Page 2 35166
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should parents tell their kids there is no God?   Should parents tell their kids there is no God? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Should parents tell their kids there is no God?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2