Prayer in public schools. Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prayer in public schools.

Go down 
+6
Jason B.
Forgiveness Man
Nystyle709
Supernova
femme fatale
Chris
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Prayer in public schools. Empty
PostSubject: Prayer in public schools.   Prayer in public schools. EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 6:55 am

If a child, say Jewish, comes from an extremely religious family and attends public school, do you think he or she ought to be able to outwardly observe his or her religious faith in this environment?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
femme fatale
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
femme fatale

Female
Rep : 46

PostSubject: Re: Prayer in public schools.   Prayer in public schools. EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 7:29 am

Public schools should be 100% religion free. If a child is ultra religious and wanna practice their faith, then do it at home, in church or some kind of center that's based in that religion. Or their parents should send them to a private school that has a philosophy based in that faith. Religions can clash too much and where one kid might be jewish, another might be Muslim. Heavily spiritual Muslim kid sees the Jewish kid doing something religious and then there's a fight.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Prayer in public schools.   Prayer in public schools. EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 10:35 am

I thought the idea of public schools however was that they teach the kids to be so open minded towards other people. confused

If schools need to be religion free, maybe they need to be free of all customs and culture and the kids can't express anything from their background that makes them different from anybody else, because of a fight can start over one thing, it can just as easily for another. You know they always say that teachers need to leave their personal lives at the door, maybe they need to force students to do the same since being different is so dangeorus.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Prayer in public schools.   Prayer in public schools. EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 10:38 am

Do they still have the moment of silence in public schools? Because if so, that's when you can pray or not pray or whatever you do to whoever or whatever you believe in. How do you mean outwardly observe his faith? See, when I was in grade school....there were Jewish kids who wore the yarmulkes to school and it wasn't a problem. There were Muslim kids who covered their heads and it wasn't a problem. There were kids with African parents who wore their kinte cloth and it wasn't a problem. Everybody got along and everybody played together. We learned about Hanukkah and Christmas and Ramadan. In NYC, all public schools observe the Jewish and Muslim holidays, and well as the Christian ones. I think adults place too much emphasis on religion and try to make it a big deal for their children. Contrary to what some think, I think it's quite possible to have different religions congregating together and there not be an issue. They're kids.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Prayer in public schools.   Prayer in public schools. EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 5:20 pm

Schools don't have to sanction it but if a kid wants to say a silent prayer before a test or lunch and he blesses himself, what the hell is the problem with that? If he wants to wear a small cross around his neck, what is the problem? Schools are about diversity aren't they?
Back to top Go down
Jason B.
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Jason B.

Male
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: Prayer in public schools.   Prayer in public schools. EmptyWed Sep 08, 2010 9:07 pm

I don't have a problem with personal religious expression, like a cross or a silent prayer, but it shouldn't infringe on school time. Schools should definitely not set aside time and space for heavily religious kids to practice whatever religious rituals they do.
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: Prayer in public schools.   Prayer in public schools. EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 1:50 am

I had a friend who said that as long as there are exams in school, there will be prayer in school - lol!
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Prayer in public schools.   Prayer in public schools. EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 1:54 am

TSJ, that was the most perfect thing to say!

Overall, I think that public education and religious practices should be kept separate. That is the world we live in. When in the typical area, more kids identify with Christianity, why should other kids feel slighted?
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Prayer in public schools.   Prayer in public schools. EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 5:11 pm

JB wrote:
I don't have a problem with personal religious expression, like a cross or a silent prayer, but it shouldn't infringe on school time. Schools should definitely not set aside time and space for heavily religious kids to practice whatever religious rituals they do.
But too many people DO have a problem with silent prayer or small religious articles that in no way infringe on class time.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Prayer in public schools.   Prayer in public schools. EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 2:04 pm

TSJFan4Ever wrote:
I had a friend who said that as long as there are exams in school, there will be prayer in school - lol!

Damn! You beat me too it clapping
Back to top Go down
LVJoel
…is a Newbie.
…is a Newbie.
LVJoel

Male
Rep : 4

PostSubject: Re: Prayer in public schools.   Prayer in public schools. EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 3:57 pm

Prayer in school -
Good: "Please G-d, I totally forgot about my history test today, please let me remember the answers!"

Bad: "Now children, it's time to pray, and if any one of you elects to opt out, you are godless and will go to hell. And all of the other godly children will make fun of you and you will be an outcast."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prayer in public schools.   Prayer in public schools. Empty

Back to top Go down

Prayer in public schools.
Page 1 of 1