CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

If you said yes to be God Parent, then changed your mind, how would you address that?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

If you said yes to be God Parent, then changed your mind, how would you address that? Empty If you said yes to be God Parent, then changed your mind, how would you address that?

Post by RedBedroom Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:05 pm

What would you do if you said yes, but then realized that being God Parent to the family's child was not best for you or them?

Yeah, I am going through that right now. And I may not go back on my "yes". But, I am not sure that my heart is in it to stay close to the baby's parents for 18 years. FYI, the baby will not be born until mid winter. ((and yes, I know it was stupid to say yes. But I don't know how I could have said no in the situation))
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

If you said yes to be God Parent, then changed your mind, how would you address that? Empty Re: If you said yes to be God Parent, then changed your mind, how would you address that?

Post by Tony Marino Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:47 pm

RedBedroom wrote:What would you do if you said yes, but then realized that being God Parent to the family's child was not best for you or them?

Yeah, I am going through that right now. And I may not go back on my "yes". But, I am not sure that my heart is in it to stay close to the baby's parents for 18 years. FYI, the baby will not be born until mid winter. ((and yes, I know it was stupid to say yes. But I don't know how I could have said no in the situation))

I am godfather to 3 children in my family and one I don't ever see at all? Its not a firm commitment of any kind and usually if god forbid something happens to the parents, the family usually will pick up the slack. If you really don't want to do it then be honest and say that you don't think you can take on such a commitment at this point in your life. You also don't have to stay close to the people who are having the child either, how you handle it is up to you. I usually just acknowledge my godchildren on their birthdays and Christmas, during the rest of the year I see them at intervals and have minimal contact with their parents.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

If you said yes to be God Parent, then changed your mind, how would you address that? Empty Re: If you said yes to be God Parent, then changed your mind, how would you address that?

Post by RedBedroom Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:15 pm

The thing with me is that I wouldn't be able to do anything but want to see her and be a part of her life. It is a huge deal to me because I have always wanted to be an official "auntie" but as an only child, and not officially married, I will never be auntie. I have two God Daughters, (since my early teens) and both are just over 18 now. So, this baby would be a big presence in my life because that is what I would shoot for. See, and because the mother and I used to be very close, she knows that, so I have to wonder if I was asked because she knows that I will buy nice gifts and babysit for free. That is a mean thing to accuse someone of, but I am not sure. It would have been easy to say no, but the mom-to-be's husband is a very big part of our lives. So, it is messy.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:30 pm

I didn't think being a godparent was that big of a deal. To me, it's just a fancy title to give to your best friend or whomever you're tight with when you have a baby. Are godparents really going to step in and raise your child if something should happen to you? Unless you make the legal provisions to do so, legally there are quite a few people that would have precedence over a 'godparent'. In any case RB, I don't think you should sweat it. You said yes, fuck it....buy a few gifts, send a few cards for the kid's birthday and let it be.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:33 pm

RedBedroom wrote:The thing with me is that I wouldn't be able to do anything but want to see her and be a part of her life. It is a huge deal to me because I have always wanted to be an official "auntie" but as an only child, and not officially married, I will never be auntie. I have two God Daughters, (since my early teens) and both are just over 18 now. So, this baby would be a big presence in my life because that is what I would shoot for. See, and because the mother and I used to be very close, she knows that, so I have to wonder if I was asked because she knows that I will buy nice gifts and babysit for free. That is a mean thing to accuse someone of, but I am not sure. It would have been easy to say no, but the mom-to-be's husband is a very big part of our lives. So, it is messy.

She prob. did ask you to be the godmother because you'd buy nice gifts and babysit. It's not that big of a deal if that's something you wouldn't mind doing from time to time. If you feel she is using you once you're the godmother, you should just put a stop to it. Being a godmother doesn't mean you HAVE to be nice to her. It's just a title.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:12 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:I didn't think being a godparent was that big of a deal. To me, it's just a fancy title to give to your best friend or whomever you're tight with when you have a baby. Are godparents really going to step in and raise your child if something should happen to you? Unless you make the legal provisions to do so, legally there are quite a few people that would have precedence over a 'godparent'. In any case RB, I don't think you should sweat it. You said yes, fuck it....buy a few gifts, send a few cards for the kid's birthday and let it be.

Yep. By and large "Godparent" is just a vanity title that your friends give you out of affection. If someone is killed, their kids will most likely go to their relatives.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:37 pm

If you haven't said "Yes" before God yet, you can easily go back. Razz It's once you do it before him that you're stuck! FORGIVENESS MAN

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:32 am