CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+18
Shale
wants2laugh
TSJFan4Ever
RedBedroom
MandyPerfumeGirl
CatEyes10736
Alan Smithee
Supernova
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
CeCe
TPP
GrayWolf
Marc™
Tony Marino
Chris
Nystyle709
Forgiveness Man
RobbieFTW
22 posters

The 9/11 Discussion Thread [merged]

RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

The 9/11 Discussion Thread [merged] - Page 2 Empty Re: The 9/11 Discussion Thread [merged]

Post by RobbieFTW Thu May 05, 2011 10:09 am

CatEyes10736 wrote:If I were Bush I probably wouldn't be too keen on celebrating the death of this terrorist that happened under my successors administration as opposed to my own. laughing

IA. Wouldnt be surprised if it was sour grapes. Must be KILLING Bush that Osama was killed under Obama's watch. But what a jerk to not show up and observe the destruction this guy caused! "Staying out of the public" my ass. This ain't Leno. Oh well!
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

The 9/11 Discussion Thread [merged] - Page 2 Empty Re: The 9/11 Discussion Thread [merged]

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu May 05, 2011 2:20 pm

Oh please. Bush doesn't care who got him. Neither president really deserves any credit. Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc! Bush just doesn't want to make a big public spectacle. People just like hating on him.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu May 05, 2011 2:39 pm

That was the best decision for him to make.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu May 05, 2011 2:41 pm

The more he stays out from in front of a camera the more I like it. Wish a few more would try that.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu May 05, 2011 4:00 pm

CeCe wrote:The more he stays out from in front of a camera the more I like it. Wish a few more would try that.

Especially mouthy celebrities. Razz
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

The 9/11 Discussion Thread [merged] - Page 2 Empty Osama Bin Laden 'planned 9/11 anniversary train attack'

Post by Marc™ Fri May 06, 2011 7:13 pm

6 May 2011
    Last updated at 07:22 ET
    Osama Bin Laden 'planned 9/11 anniversary train attack'

The 9/11 Discussion Thread [merged] - Page 2 _52562817_ustrain_getty
    Bin Laden was considering an attack on the US railways, officials said

Documents found at Osama Bin Laden's Pakistan home suggest he was planning attacks on the US, including on the 10th anniversary of 9/11, reports say.

One plan was to target a US rail route, US officials revealed, although no imminent threat was detected.

Officials are examining computers, DVDs, hard-drives and documents seized from the Abbottabad home where Bin Laden may have hidden for six years.

Several rallies are expected across Pakistan in protest at Monday's raid.

Many Pakistanis are angry at what they see as a US infringement of their country's sovereignty.

They are also critical of the government for allowing the commando operation to happen, although officials deny they were told about it.

Around 1,000 people had already gathered in central Abbottabad following Friday prayers, the AFP news agency reported.

They were setting fire to tyres, blocking a main road and shouting "Down, down USA!" and "Terrorist, terrorist, USA terrorist".

Anti-American sentiment appeared to be high at a similar protest in the south-western city of Quetta, the capital of Baluchistan province.

Later on Friday, US President Barack Obama is due to meet some of the troops involved in the helicopter-borne assault.

He will hold private meetings on Friday at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, with at least some of the Navy Seals who took part in the raid.
    Derail plan

Information about the apparent plans unearthed in Pakistan was contained in a joint FBI and Homeland Security bulletin, the Associated Press news agency said.

The bulletin, circulated to law enforcement officials, said the idea to tamper with an unspecified US railway track was found in handwritten notes taken from Bin Laden's compound.
    The US president carries a wreath during a ceremony at Ground Zero, in New York (5 May 2011) Mr Obama also visited a New York fire department office during the trip

According to the bulletin al-Qaeda operatives planned to derail a train so that it would plunge into a valley, or from a bridge, AP reported.

"While it is clear that there was some level of planning for this type of operation in February 2010, we have no recent information to indicate an active ongoing plot to target transportation and no information on possible locations or specific targets," the warning read.

One intelligence official said the notes revealed the ambition to hit the US with large-scale attacks in major cities and on key dates such as anniversaries and holidays.

One unnamed US official told the New York Times the documents revealed that Bin Laden was not merely a figurehead for al-Qaeda sympathisers worldwide.

"He continued to plot and plan, to come up with ideas about targets, and to communicate those ideas to other senior [al-]Qaeda leaders," the newspaper quotes the official as saying.
    Contradictions

Meanwhile, further details have emerged about Bin Laden's life in the Abbottabad compound and the exact sequence of events that lead to his death.

A senior Pakistani military official said one of Bin Laden's wives told investigators she had been living in the compound for five years, along with her husband.

New reports of the raid appear to contradict earlier information about the raid.

White House counter-terrorism adviser John Brennan had originally suggested that Bin Laden was among those who was armed within the compound.

Early accounts of Sunday night's raid had suggested a lengthy exchange of fire throughout the 40-minute operation.

But US officials now say that only one person fired on the US special forces.

He is believed to have been Bin Laden's courier, Abu Ahmed al-Kuwaiti, who was killed at the start of the raid.

Critics have raised concerns about the legality of the operation after the US revised its account to acknowledge Bin Laden was unarmed when shot dead.

However, the US has maintained that Bin Laden was a lawful military target whose killing was "an act of national self-defence".

The US raid against Osama Bin Laden was launched after months of CIA surveillance from a safe house in Abbottabad, the Washington Post reported on Friday.

Citing unnamed officials, the newspaper said the CIA's operation used satellite imagery and attempted to record voices inside the compound, but was stood down before the military operation was eventually launched.

Pakistan's army has acknowledged "shortcomings" in its own efforts to find Osama Bin Laden but has also threatened to review ties with the US military if it carries out any further unilateral operations.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13304809
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri May 06, 2011 7:20 pm

My guess is is that he wouldn't have tried anything on THAT day. Security would've been crazy and at even higher alert.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sat May 07, 2011 12:20 am

Nystyle709 wrote:My guess is is that he wouldn't have tried anything on THAT day. Security would've been crazy and at even higher alert.

That's a good point. I think that he would have gone a different route.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sat May 07, 2011 12:56 am

He wouldn't have gotten away with it on the anniversary; especially not the tenth anniversary. I don't care how sly he thought he was.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sat May 07, 2011 1:53 am

seems like it's just more propaganda. Maybe wishful thinking on his report - a diary entry detailing what he'd like to do, rather than actual plans to do something. I don't see how he could have gotten away with it.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

The 9/11 Discussion Thread [merged] - Page 2 Empty 9/11 Memorial set to open on tenth anniversary; September 11th, 2011

Post by Chris Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:00 am

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:00 am

I will believe it when I see it.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:28 am

I'm not impressed one bit that they didn't invite the first responders to the memorial. I feel for the survivors & the families but they're aren't the only ones who deserve to be there.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:49 am

Shit's going to hit the fan if they're really going to charge people $25 to see it.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

The 9/11 Discussion Thread [merged] - Page 2 Empty Reading of 9/11 victims names up for debate after tenth anniversary ceremony.

Post by Chris Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:03 am

Every year since the 9/11 attacks, the names of the 2,753 victims who died at the World Trade Center have been read aloud during the annual memorial ceremony at Ground Zero. But, Mayor Bloomberg recently announced, on his weekly radio show, that the tradition may end after this year's tenth anniversary ceremony.

"Some people have said we should go on forever," said Bloomberg. "Some people have said change is good. The subject's come up a couple of times. I think we've said the foundation board will talk about this."

What do you think of this? Should the tradition continue?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:30 am

Yes the tradition should continue. I am surprised Bloomjerk agreed that it should continue.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:37 am

Sure, why not. Until you can think of something better.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:34 pm

I think the names should always be read, 9/11 only come around once a year.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:47 pm

I don't see why it should ever stop.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:06 am

why cant they just post the names on a wall like the vietnam vets? They dont read the names of the victims from pearl harbor. They dont read the names of the victims of any attack yearly forever. Honor them yes. But read their names forever?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

The 9/11 Discussion Thread [merged] - Page 2 Empty Should 9/11 be a holiday?

Post by Supernova Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:20 pm

This was a poll question on MSN today, I said no and while we're not the minority, still more people seem to think it should be. Why should it be? Can anybody answer that?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:31 pm

It is the new "Day that will live in infamy" but it should not be a holiday, just a day of remembrance as Dec. 7th was for half a century. Unfortunately, it may be replaced by even more heinous attacks by sociopaths.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:34 pm

It's always been my thinking that holidays were for celebrating. Why would anyone want to celebrate the day terrorists launched an attack on America? It should always be observed, or a day of remembrance, but I don't know if 'holiday' is the right word.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:01 pm

Impact wrote:It's always been my thinking that holidays were for celebrating. Why would anyone want to celebrate the day terrorists launched an attack on America? It should always be observed, or a day of remembrance, but I don't know if 'holiday' is the right word.

See this is what I'm thinking too, granted, Memorial Day and Armistice/Veterans Day started out as days of remembrance to those who had fallen as well, but those were soldiers who served in battle, these were civilians in non-war times in a non-war area.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:03 pm

Shale and Impact bring up a good points. There isn't a Pearl Harbor Holiday. Both days should be commemorated not celebrated.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 6:30 pm