CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
TSJFan4Ever
Kral
MandyPerfumeGirl
Shale
Nystyle709
Tony Marino
Supernova
Alan Smithee
Chris
13 posters

Would you date someone who has a history of mental illness?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Would you date someone who has a history of mental illness? Empty Would you date someone who has a history of mental illness?

Post by Chris Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:05 am

Suppose you meet someone, you started dating, are getting along with them, and they soon divulged that they suffer from a mental illness (like schizophrenia, bipolar disease, or multiple personality disorder) or have had a history with severe depression or rage issues -- and on heavy medication to control their condition. Would you continue the relationship? Have you ever dated someone who was on medication for a mental condition?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Would you date someone who has a history of mental illness? Empty Re: Would you date someone who has a history of mental illness?

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:50 am

Second question first. No, I've never dated a woman with a mental illness or medical condition. At least not that I know of although looking back, maybe they just weren’t diagnosed. Would I if I knew? I guess that would have to depend on how I felt her…ah, felt about her. The heart can say “yes” when the head says “no”.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Would you date someone who has a history of mental illness? Empty Re: Would you date someone who has a history of mental illness?

Post by Supernova Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:01 am

Chris wrote:Suppose you meet someone, you started dating, are getting along with them, and they soon divulged that they suffer from a mental illness (like schizophrenia, bipolar disease, or multiple personality disorder) or have had a history with severe depression or rage issues -- and on heavy medication to control their condition.

Then it would be bye bye, Sybil.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:19 am

Honestly, I have had enough drama in my lifetime I would prefer to go out with someone that is a bit on the normal side with no medications involved and no multiple personalities. I would be friends with someone like that but not a relationship.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:51 am

Nah. I've dated enough crazy motherfuckers without the medication. I don't know if I could deal with an official, legally crazy one.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:21 pm

My partner Jim with whom I lived for 5 years was certified paranoid schizophrenic at Belleview Hospital NY before we got together.

Would you date someone who has a history of mental illness? 1973JimHewittNOtxt

He wasn't on meds when we lived together (aside from grass) and it manifested sometimes when he would get into a rage. Loved him tho, and was probably a stabilizing force in his life at that time. (controlling bitch)
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:46 pm

Yes, if I were dating someone and he and I were getting along well and he told me he was suffering from a mental illness and on medication, I would continue to see him. There's no reason not to, if everything is going good. Funny, Chris, if you had asked the group here if they would dump a diabetic person, they would be "oh no, no, that would just be wrong!" but somehow it's okay to dump a mentally ill person for that reason alone. It seems they can't recognize their own prejudices.

To answer your second question, I have dated a man who was on medication for a mental illness. He dealt with major depression and he was the kindest men I ever knew. I wouldn't take back my time with him for anything in the world.
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:42 pm

Date, maybe...but rather not get into a full fledged relationship with someone who has to make sure they take x-amount of pills per day to not go off the rails. My luck I'd wind up getting preggers with Damien Junior.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:30 am

MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:Yes, if I were dating someone and he and I were getting along well and he told me he was suffering from a mental illness and on medication, I would continue to see him. There's no reason not to, if everything is going good. Funny, Chris, if you had asked the group here if they would dump a diabetic person, they would be "oh no, no, that would just be wrong!" but somehow it's okay to dump a mentally ill person for that reason alone. It seems they can't recognize their own prejudices.

Your comparisons are way too extreme. And dramatic, lol. You're going to compare a diabetic with someone who is mentally ill? Because quite frankly, asking someone if they would date a diabetic would be such an off beat question to begin with. If you're cool with dating a motherfucker who is fucked up in the head, legally, that's you. More power to you. If someone chooses not to, it's their preference. I prefer not to deal with that. I'm pretty sure you have preferences when it comes to guys you'd date so don't give anybody any of that bull. Being discriminatory against the mentally ill would encompass A LOT more than not willing to date one.

To answer your second question, I have dated a man who was on medication for a mental illness. He dealt with major depression and he was the kindest men I ever knew. I wouldn't take back my time with him for anything in the world.

Like your one man accounts for all the mentally ill patients out there, lol.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:18 pm

Date maybe, but nothing more. It would depend on how stable he was. I had a BiPolar roomie years back and it could get pretty bad - the mood swings, phone calls in the middle of the night that he'd have no recollection making to us, and so on. He also drank pretty heavily, so I think that countered whatever meds he was on. I don't think I could be in a serious relationship, though.
    JeanMerc82
    JeanMerc82
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by JeanMerc82 Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:47 pm

I had dramas in my life and still do...... there is no way my brain would handle more craziness!!!
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:56 pm

Can't say for sure. I wouldn't get involved with anyone who I already knew was on crazy pills, but if we were already together when I found out and I was otherwise digging them, then I might hesitantly stick it out for the time being. It would all depend on how well we were clicking and how committed they were to staying healthy.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:32 pm

"Funny, Chris, if you had asked the group here if they would dump a diabetic person, they would be "oh no, no, that would just be wrong!" but somehow it's okay to dump a mentally ill person for that reason alone. It seems they can't recognize their own prejudices."

Mandy, apples to oranges, here. If I am single tomorrow, I do not have any fear that a diabetic would endanger my son. Somebody with a mental illness?? I can not be sure.

I would not be in a serious relationship with anyone who can be unpredictable sans meds. That is just too huge. Of all the instances Chris posted in his post, depression is the only one that is subjective. All the rest would make me really leery.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:51 pm

RedBedroom wrote: "Funny, Chris, if you had asked the group here if they would dump a diabetic person, they would be "oh no, no, that would just be wrong!" but somehow it's okay to dump a mentally ill person for that reason alone. It seems they can't recognize their own prejudices."

Mandy, apples to oranges, here. If I am single tomorrow, I do not have any fear that a diabetic would endanger my son. Somebody with a mental illness?? I can not be sure.

I would not be in a serious relationship with anyone who can be unpredictable sans meds. That is just too huge. Of all the instances Chris posted in his post, depression is the only one that is subjective. All the rest would make me really leery.

Would you date someone who has a history of mental illness? 35166 Severe depression I can deal with maybe. All the others (including rage issues) I couldn't take. I can't be with someone who has such a mental imbalance that they become another person and totally unpredictable when they're upset or unmedicated. Just don't got a "way" of reasoning with a crazy person to drop the knife.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 10:34 am