CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Bluesmama
JeanMerc82
CeCe
Marc™
JM130ELM
Supernova
10 posters

I Love Lucy

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

I Love Lucy Empty I Love Lucy

Post by Supernova Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:02 am

Can't believe NOBODY brought this show up before on here!

Who loves the show? I like it but I can't believe the treatment it gets on TV. First it was on Nick @ Nite, then they take it off. Then they put it on TV Land. Then they take it off! Then it's on Lifetime, and gone again! Then they put it on Hallmark, then take it off, then bring it back, then take it off, then only put it on after midnight on weekends. That's no way to treat a lady, even if it IS Lucy. It's a funny show, people deserve a chance to see it, they need to keep it on a consistent schedule during a decent time of the day.

Some of my favorite episodes are Too Many Crooks, where Lucy and Ethel think each other is Madam X, the burglar who broke into the building.

The Freezer, where they get that walk-in freezer and about 300 pounds of meat they try to hide from the men.

Breaking the Lease, where they get into a big fight and Lucy and Ricky make a lot of noise to break the 6 month lease, including bringing Ricky's 18 piece band home to practice all night.

The one where Ricky thinks Lucy is a kleptomaniac and she's really collecting things for a bazaar, and he brings in a shrink to treat her and she and Ethel pretend to be gangsters complete with Tommygun and brass knuckles.

Lucy Thinks Ricky is Trying to Murder Her...when she's reading the murder mystery and absentmindedly dipping crackers into cheese dip, and then doesn't notice she's dipping them into her cold cream, and she eats it and still doesn't notice, LMAO! !

Pioneer Women, when they live like in the 1800s...that 16 foot loaf of bread is just too much! And to think it was a REAL loaf of bread they made for it, I can't imagine.

There are other great ones but these are a few of my favorites. How about everyone else?
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

I Love Lucy Empty Re: I Love Lucy

Post by JM130ELM Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:21 pm

I'm honestly not that big a fan of the show. I think Lucy, Ricky and Fred were annoying individually. Ethel was boring. Some of the random mischief Lucy would get into was funny, but most of it was too OTT and naive. Really the only thing I can appreciate about the show were Desi Arnez' song and dance numbers.

I'm more of a Honeymooners fan than Lucy.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:44 pm

I'm more fascinated by the stories I hear of Lucille Ball's bitchery behind the scenes. She played silly and fun-loving on screen but has been painted to be this Cruella de Vil type who flicked cigarettes on people and forgot their names.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:44 pm

Marc wrote:I'm more fascinated by the stories I hear of Lucille Ball's bitchery behind the scenes. She played silly and fun-loving on screen but has been painted to be this Cruella de Vil type who flicked cigarettes on people and forgot their names.

And she would also take whatever she had to do in an episode, and learn it within a week. She said she had to learn roller skating, she got it in a week, playing a saxophone (even though she wasn't great), she learned it in a week. People seem to forget that she had a lot of work to do with the whole thing, it wasn't just learning lines and being co owner, co producer, whatever, she had to learn all the stuff that led up to her zany antics on the screen, and considering all the crazy stuff she did, it's a wonder she didn't kill herself trying to get it all.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:37 pm

The woman was talented that's for sure. The brains behind the show. And keeping in mind the timeframe when women were not generally in positions of power makes it even more fascinating. I Love Lucy was her best work. Something about those four people together clicked. The show is still entertaining even today.
    JeanMerc82
    JeanMerc82
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by JeanMerc82 Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:13 pm

I have a lot of favorite scenes that i lost count, so it helps that i own the DVD. Lucy cracks me up with her antics and Desi makes me laugh when he talks in english. These two were a Golden Couple who each went through so much together but still made us laugh.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:53 pm

I would like to know though why of all the things Lucy did, the most memorable ones are the chocolate factory, and the stomping grapes and the vitavegimin whatever. They were good but there were a lot of other zany moments. Nobody ever talks about the time they were in Hollywood and they stole John Wayne's footprints and broke them and kept having to have a new set made, that was crazy. Or the time she dressed up as Superman for Little Ricky's birthday party, and the real Superman showed up and when he found out Ricky had been married to Lucy for 15 years he said 'and they call ME Superman!'
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:02 pm

Supernova wrote:I would like to know though why of all the things Lucy did, the most memorable ones are the chocolate factory, and the stomping grapes and the vitavegimin whatever. They were good but there were a lot of other zany moments. Nobody ever talks about the time they were in Hollywood and they stole John Wayne's footprints and broke them and kept having to have a new set made, that was crazy. Or the time she dressed up as Superman for Little Ricky's birthday party, and the real Superman showed up and when he found out Ricky had been married to Lucy for 15 years he said 'and they call ME Superman!'

Didn't those footprints get broken twice? Haven't seen it in years. There are so many funny moments from that show. The Hollywood episodes are full of them. Richard Widmark, Rock Hudson, the designer dresses for Lucy & Ethel, Marx Brothers...

Then when they moved, the baby chicks & those wax tulips.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:11 am

Lucille Ball was, to me, perhaps the greatest female comedian actor of all time (with Carol Burnette a close, close second). Desi Arnaz was an incredibly handsome man who was very funny in his own way, and a terrific contrast to Lucy.

I still like the show after half a century.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:23 am

i used to watch reruns growing up.

faves ares the Vitavegamin episode where she gets drunk doing the commercial.. and another where ricky puts her on a budget and she does her own hair and makes her own dress, at the end she comes out lookin all crazy!! LMAO!
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:44 am

cheaps wrote:i used to watch reruns growing up.

faves ares the Vitavegamin episode where she gets drunk doing the commercial.. and another where ricky puts her on a budget and she does her own hair and makes her own dress, at the end she comes out lookin all crazy!! LMAO!

We always said she looked like a clown with her hair like that, she said 'that's alright, I always wanted to look like a chyrsanthemum!'

Another one I loved was when she was trying to get them the bigger apartment upstairs and she bought all those toys and stuffed the apartment full of them, that was funny!
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:48 am

Lucy is classic funny fun! big grin
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:50 am

I looooooooooooove Lucy and her madcap adventures with Ethel. One of the greatest comedy shows ever on TV.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Another one I loved was when they go to Florida but forget their tickets, so they get a ride with a nutty outdoorsy woman and each thinks the other is an escaped hatchet murderses. That, and the one where Lucy thought Ricky was trying to kill her, I always wondered how different it would have been if we were NOT in on the joke and thought what Lucy did.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:07 pm

Tony Marino wrote:I looooooooooooove Lucy and her madcap adventures with Ethel. One of the greatest comedy shows ever on TV.

It really was great & shows how far we've fallen. I Love Lucy is still funny even now.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:06 pm

Indeed it is, and yet I'd almost guarantee that in 50 years, history will not remember the shows done today fondly.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:27 pm

The show was cool, and I realize what a ground breaker she was....but I can't say that I'm a big fan.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:08 pm

Lucy would have been 100 this year!!
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:27 pm

It's funny that she was what, about 7 years older than Desi, but they always made her younger, but he died sooner, and he aged a LOT faster than she did. In the book Lucy in the Afternoon she explained he was already going white when they were doing the show.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:42 pm