CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Tony Marino
Nystyle709
RobbieFTW
Supernova
el Rio
9 posters

City, Country or somewhere in between

el Rio
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 4

City, Country or somewhere in between Empty City, Country or somewhere in between

Post by el Rio Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:12 am

Our house is about 12 miles from the nearest town which has a population of around 4000 people. The whole county had about 17,000 people in total. A lot of the rural acrage is part of the Shawnee National Forest with a few state parks taking up some more land. We are Bordered by the Mississippi River on one side with the Ohio not too far away to the East. There is no industry to speak of unless you consider tourism,camping,hunting and fishing as an industy. Apple and Peach orchards are common and so are strawberry, blueberry, blackberry farms. The wine indudtry is growing and there are lots of small vinyards. There is a lot of wildlife around including Wild Turkeys, White Tail deer, rabbits,coons,possums,foxes,coyotes,bobcats,Bald Eagles,herons and egrets and all sorts of snakes Rattler, Copperhead and Cottonmouths...frogs lizards and turtles too. Plus as you might guess from the Shawnee Forest thing....lots of great woods and forest. I've never lived in a town so all of this is jusy part of daily life.

So whats it like where you're at.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

City, Country or somewhere in between Empty Re: City, Country or somewhere in between

Post by Supernova Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:19 am

We're a town of 5,000 people, we're a mix of country and suburbs. People grow corn, and tomatoes and green beans and watermelons, and we have garter snakes and velvet ants and chiggers and the occasional toad and lizard but we also have the downtown businesses, but no buildings are any taller than 3 stories on average.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

City, Country or somewhere in between Empty Re: City, Country or somewhere in between

Post by RobbieFTW Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:11 am

I live in the city, but it's a suburb very close to the bigger/main city of the state. The population here (according to Wikipedia) is 92,382.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:21 am

I live in New York City. Consists of five boroughs.....Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Manhattan and Staten Island. Population: 8 million. Most diverse city in the country (world for that matter). THE world's global hub. I don't think I really need to explain too much. It's New York. ANYTHING you want, we got it. Hell, we ARE it. big grin
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:14 am

Nystyle709 wrote:I live in New York City. Consists of five boroughs.....Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Manhattan and Staten Island. Population: 8 million. Most diverse city in the country (world for that matter). THE world's global hub. I don't think I really need to explain too much. It's New York. ANYTHING you want, we got it. Hell, we ARE it. big grin

You forgot Long Island NY, we are a part of NY state as well. Don't forget Queens and Brooklyn are technically on Long Island its just separated by the boroughs.

Oh and yeah we are definetly IT, we have everything that anyone could ever want right here in New York New York!!!!

Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:05 pm

Tony Marino wrote:

You forgot Long Island NY, we are a part of NY state as well. Don't forget Queens and Brooklyn are technically on Long Island its just separated by the boroughs.

Oh and yeah we are definetly IT, we have everything that anyone could ever want right here in New York New York!!!!

Queens and Brooklyn is Long Island (land wise).....but L.I. is mainly considered a suburb of the city. Just like Yonkers, White Plains and Mt. Vernon would be. Just stating that for those who don't know. I guess geographically, it's not considered the 'city' because it extends that much further from Manhattan.
    JeanMerc82
    JeanMerc82
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female

Post by JeanMerc82 Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:17 pm

I'm in Miami Bitch.. need i say more!
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:44 pm

TrevorToddFan wrote:I'm in Miami Bitch.. need i say more!
    I'm in Miami Beach (and No, it is not the beach of Miami - it's a separate city). We have no available parking so I don't own a car and ride a bicycle everywhere I want to go.

The city is a narrow barrier island with the Atlantic on one side and Biscayne Bay on the other and at one point where I used to live on Indian Creek it was just two blocks thick between water. So, I'm about four blocks in from the beach on the Atlantic Ocean but I bike up to Haulover Park, 4 miles away to the Nude Beach.

Anything stronger than a catehory 1 hurricane we all have to leave and go to the mainland. (Uh TrevorToddFan - can I come stay at ur place?) We've been lucky so far - no storms have hit us this year and likely won't in the next month - Tho Wilma was a late storm that knocked out all our lights for weeks.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:43 pm

I'm in the burbs. No tall buildings but plenty of strip malls and traffic.
    el Rio
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male

Post by el Rio Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:11 pm

I enjoy visiting in cities when I have a local to be my guide...good ethnic food, museums, cultural stuff of any kind and the diversity of peoples. But the bottom line for me is that cities kind of freak me out...too many people, too many buildings and not near enough nature and quiet places. I completely understand the attraction of cities for some folks but a steady diet of city would do me in. Once I had a kid from Chicago spend the summer here on the farm. I guess the opposite was true for him...he was scared and freaked out by the silence and the woods. Things were too quiet or the kind of noise we had he didn't like. A pack of coyotes in the backyard howling full throat at three in the morning is an impressive sound.

So while the city has it's appeal it lacks one of the things I need the most....wilderness. My need to be in the wild is what lead me to go to the Peruvian Jungles years ago. Wild areas untouched by man fill a need for me that is as great as my desire for culture. I guess its what you grow up getting used to.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:31 pm

I live in a suburb of a city that has about 150,000. Our suburb itself has about 15,000. I have lived in Chicago as a youth, and in a town of 200 in my teens. So, now I guess you could say I am in the middle of that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 8:52 am