CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
Timetrvlr
RobbieFTW
Alan Smithee
RedBedroom
CeCe
TPP
Nystyle709
Forgiveness Man
Chris
13 posters

Animal Rights

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Animal Rights Empty Animal Rights

Post by Chris Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:41 am

Do Animals have Rights? If so are they equal for all biological entities or is the right of an animal based upon an arbitrary scale of intelligence or sentience?

Is it not illogical to declare animals have rights when there is no way of stopping predators from infringing on the rights of prey etc?

How far do Animal rights extend in comparison to Human rights, Is there ever a point where the life of an animal can be said to be of equal importance to a Human one, For example About 20 million animals are experimented on and killed annually, three-fourths for medical purposes and the rest to test various products. But thanks to animal testing Open heart surgeries, coronary bypass surgery, Insulin for diabetes, life saving antibiotics, etc were created saving countless human lives in the long run.

Overall is the pain and suffering that these animals went through justifiable because they are of lesser value than us and therefore more expendable?

Discuss.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Animal Rights Empty Re: Animal Rights

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:12 pm

I don't really think animals have "rights" in the strictest sense. I don't feel they should be unnecessarily tortured or abused. But the lengths activists go to to protect certain 'rights' are insane, especially since they often seem to care less about infringing on human right's.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:13 pm

I dunno. But I know I'm mad that Michael Vick fucked up all that money over a damn dog.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:59 am

bump

So what is your opinion of PETA?
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:08 pm

I believe that they have rights, they should be treated humanely.

I don't agree with animal testing for trivial things, but I do think testing for medical stuff that is life saving for humans is justified, however I still believe the animals need to be treated as humanely as possible.

They should be treated with compassion and made as comfortable as possible.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:20 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:I believe that they have rights, they should be treated humanely.

I don't agree with animal testing for trivial things, but I do think testing for medical stuff that is life saving for humans is justified, however I still believe the animals need to be treated as humanely as possible.

co-signs
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:23 pm

Chris wrote: bump

PETA = Whackos! Razz
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:28 pm

I agree that animal testing for things like beauty products should not be allowed, but for medical purposes, I feel better about it.

Animals have rights, but I don't agree with people who are against kill shelters. The sad fact is that there are too many animals due to careless owners, and the cost is huge to keep them all alive to be adopted out. The life they lead in a cage waiting for adoption is not a good life. I think it is much more humane to put them down. And as long as people know they can discard pets in a no kill shelter, there will still be too many folks who think they can just get a puppy or kitty and surrender it guilt free when the cute puppy/kitty stage is over and they don't want to expel the energy to train it properly.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:41 pm

PETA Senior Vice President MaryBeth Sweetland on her use of insulin, which was tested on animals:

"I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic. Twice a day I take synthetically manufactured insulin that still contains some animal products -- and I have no qualms about it ... I'm not going to take the chance of killing myself by not taking insulin. I don't see myself as a hypocrite. I need my life to fight for the rights of animals."
    --Glamour, January 1990

PETA President Ingrid Newkirk -- in a Machiavellian moment -- explains how killing more than a thousand animals PETA accepted for shelter in 1999 is "ethical," because it frees up more money to mount offensive "press slut" campaigns:

"It is a totally rotten business, but sometimes the only kind option for some animals is to put them to sleep forever... It sounds lovely if you're naïve. We could become a no-kill shelter immediately. It means we wouldn't do as much work."
    --The Virginian-Pilot, August 1, 2000
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:09 pm

PETA cracks me up when they go after celebrities for wearing fur.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:12 pm

I don't agree with PETA at all. I've heard too many crazy things about them. I mean, I am all for a good cause, but they remind me of eco-terrorists.
    Timetrvlr
    Timetrvlr
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by Timetrvlr Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:21 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:I believe that they have rights, they should be treated humanely.

I agree! There is some good news though, more and more testing is being done using microbes rather than higher form animals. Sure, microbes are animals too but I don't feel bad if millions die!
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:23 pm

RedBedroom wrote:I agree that animal testing for things like beauty products should not be allowed, but for medical purposes, I feel better about it.

Animals have rights, but I don't agree with people who are against kill shelters. The sad fact is that there are too many animals due to careless owners, and the cost is huge to keep them all alive to be adopted out. The life they lead in a cage waiting for adoption is not a good life. I think it is much more humane to put them down. And as long as people know they can discard pets in a no kill shelter, there will still be too many folks who think they can just get a puppy or kitty and surrender it guilt free when the cute puppy/kitty stage is over and they don't want to expel the energy to train it properly.

I totally agree Red. Kill shelters are sad and grim, but what can you do? Just let unclaimed and unwanted roam the streets until they are hit by cars? I don't know how long they keep these animals alive after they are picked up, and hope that they are given a fighting chance to be claimed or adopted, but after a while something has to be done.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:18 pm

co-signs

I don't agree with PETA! They pick and choose their animals and always go for the cute furry little animals in their campaigns. When was the last time you saw the Panamanian golden frog as the star of one of their campaigns? No - it's the cute little harp seal pup or some other furry critter. Their campaigns are extremely manipulative and contain only a fraction of the truth. The cute little white coated babies they use in their campaigns are NOT the ones that hunters go for. They're not allowed to go for seals that young, at least in Canada. Once they loose the white coat, I think they're fair game, though.

Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:49 pm

I think PETA members are a bunch of nuts. However I do believe animals have the right to be fed, treated with kindness , and pets should have the right to medical care the same as people. Wild animals unfortunately have to go it alone. Right now our deer and Moose are having a very rough time of it, its been very cold , and a huge amount of cold so food is very hard to get. We have deer pass through here often, and I wish we could afford a big bale of hay, the problem is once you start feeding them it would be criminal to stop and they would invite all their friends to the feast. This was taken last summer here in our Senior park.
    Animal Rights DSC00721-1
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:15 am

Despite my liberal status, even I have consider PETA kooks.

Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:25 am

Chris wrote:If so are they equal for all biological entities or is the right of an animal based upon an arbitrary scale of intelligence or sentience?

say wat? come again? Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:30 pm