CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Jason B.
stonestatic
Alan Smithee
Chris
8 posters

Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist? Empty Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist?

Post by Chris Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:18 pm

This used to be a slightly hot issue in the 1970s (I recall episodes of Good Times and Diff'rent Strokes that tackled this topic.)

Do you think that standardized testing can be culturally biased, in terms of using examples to ask a question?

For example:
    If test questions use words like "bidet," "carriage house," "stables," "veranda," is this setting inner city kids up to score lower -- simply because they may not understand the terminology, or relate to having a carriage house?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist? Empty Re: Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist?

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:30 pm

I know from personal experience that they can be. In college, one of my professors gave our class of middle class white kids an IQ test that was geared more for people of the inner city. Most of us scored like idiots. Of course it makes a difference in some cases.
    stonestatic
    stonestatic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 24

Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist? Empty Re: Can standardized tests be culturally biased or racist?

Post by stonestatic Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:26 pm

I never understood that. Unless a test is asking questions that are racist (hateful), I just don't see how it can be considered racist just because it uses examples that certain classes can't personally relate to. Barring the "terminology" angle that someone may not understand, I don't see how a poor kid presented with math problem that is presented around the idea of a "summer home" can be so distracting. These tests require you to use your imagination when it comes to plot.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:56 pm

stonestatic wrote:I never understood that. Unless a test is asking questions that are racist (hateful), I just don't see how it can be considered racist just because it uses examples that certain classes can't personally relate to. Barring the "terminology" angle that someone may not understand, I don't see how a poor kid presented with math problem that is presented around the idea of a "summer home" can be so distracting. These tests require you to use your imagination when it comes to plot.

These kinds of tests are about comprehension. The key to comprehension is familiarity with the relevant subject. If a kid from a lower income family can't relate to the question about a rich persons dilemma, then he can be distracted by it and not do well.
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:30 pm

JB wrote:

These kinds of tests are about comprehension. The key to comprehension is familiarity with the relevant subject. If a kid from a lower income family can't relate to the question about a rich persons dilemma, then he can be distracted by it and not do well.

I disagree. I'm not rich and don't know what it's like to vacation in Switzerland or have a chauffeur, but I think I'm capable of using my imagination to envision a plot that involved these things long enough to answer a question. I don't need to relate to it, I just need to have enough of an imagination! Taking standardized tests to task for being culturally or classibly "insensitive" is too bleeding heart for this liberal.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:03 am

I think they definitely can be. I also think that they don't take things into account. It doesn't always make a difference, but it can, esp. when language is a barrier.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:03 pm

They can be culturally 'biased' in their inquiries, sure. I don't know if I would immediately interchange that with racism. More classist than racist.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:11 am

It is just my guess that standardized tests don't include terms that may elude certain demographics. Plus, I would think that once a teacher finds out they exist, he/she is teaching those terms the next year anyway.

I could go on and on about how teachers teach to the test more than the students. But that would be me getting on a soap box...but trust, it happens.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:34 pm