CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

IQ tests

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

IQ tests Empty IQ tests

Post by Chris Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:22 am

What's your opinion of IQ tests and testing? Do you feel that they are accurate? Some argue that they are biased and are no longer relevant today, do you agree?

Last edited by Chris on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

IQ tests Empty Re: IQ tests

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:24 am

I think they're a bit dumb. Razz
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:27 am

So FM, despite your feeling that they are a bit dumb, would you be for or against your child taking one?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:31 am

Chris wrote:So FM, despite your feeling that they are a bit dumb, would you be for or against your child taking one?
    Depends why they are taking one I guess. For fun? Sure, why not? As something that will actually mean something, I'd probably pass unless I was sure they could get them all right and be classified as a genius! big grin But yeah, if I can't use them to my kids' advantage, I say to hell with them. IMO, they're as useless as memorizing stuff for a test.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:17 pm

Chris wrote:What's your opinion of IQ tests and testing? Do you feel that they are accurate? Some argue that they are biased and are no longer relevant today, do you agree?
    This has been a long running debate in the field I have been working for the past 40 years. There are different IQ tests and it would depend on who is assessing the person and the numbers they come up with. I have seen our psych tester make notes admitting his suspicion that the numbers were wrong. We also use the Test of Non-verbal Intelligence, to rule out communication problems with the test.

There is an almost intuitive assessment that experienced workers in the field develop. My niece who works in the field told me that in the state where she practices, they take input from the non-professional staff in making the final assessment of degree of mental retardation.

Where I work there was a guy who was diagnosed as profoundly retarded. This is the bottom and I have worked with that population (usually institutionalized and non-verbal, almost totally helpless, sometimes shit eaters). This guy I knew was not in that degree of intelligence. For one thing he was bilingual in his limited but coherent communications - something I am not. So we had him retested with the non-verbal test and he is classed now as Severely mentally retarded.

So, it depends on the testing method and perhaps even the testers gut reaction to not put all faith in the numbers.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:40 pm

They may be useful as a guideline at least in the field that Shale is involved in but some so called normal person with a measured IQ of 100 could still be a lot "smarter" than someone with a score of 150. Maybe they aren't a good test-taker. I had a distant cousin who was a physist at Los Alamos but couldn't boil water. I don't think students should even be told what their score is. It could make some rationalize that they shouldn't try hard because they're "dumb" and others not to because they're "smart".
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:43 pm

I'd place a lot more value on IQ tests if people who scored so highly on them didn't often prove to be incapable of seeing some basic non-textbook things.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:34 pm

I don't know how accurate they are, because they depend on so many things. My friend's son was tested not long after they adopted him and came out profoundly developmentally delayed with little chance of leading a normal life and with little change of learning to dress himself, use the bathroom, learn to speak, etc. They said he was basically non-verbal and wouldn't be capable of learning much.. What the testers didn't bother to take into account was that the kid barely spoke English, had never seen or used a toilet before coming to Canada, had never had enough clothes to worry about knowing how to dress himself, had grown up on the streets, surviving the best he could, despite living in an orphanage. The list went on and on, but these dear idiots who administered the test didn't bother taking anything into account, other than the test results.

my friend's son does have some developmental delays (mainly in language) and he also has dyslexia. Other than that, he's a pretty normal 11 year old who talks non-stop, gets jokes, responds and has made up almost 3 years of school in just 1 year. He's learning to read, can do math at a 3rd grade level and by the end of middle school, it's predicted that he'll be at almost the same level as his peers. He's a bright, engaging child with an amazing memory. So much for the IQ test that classified him as severely mentally handicapped. Then again, if I took an IQ test in China, my results would be pretty dismal, too, as I don't know the language or the culture.

It does depend on the IQ test, and they are useful, but there are many other factors, as well.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 9:04 am