CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+12
Forgiveness Man
RobbieFTW
CeCe
Alan Smithee
Cheaps
Nystyle709
TSJFan4Ever
Shale
Marc™
Tony Marino
Chris
RedBedroom
16 posters

What makes you decide to leave a message board?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

What makes you decide to leave a message board?  Empty What makes you decide to leave a message board?

Post by RedBedroom Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:33 pm

I can't imagine any of us wanting to leave here, but since this is new, I am sure most of us have left other boards over the years. So, what made you leave?

For me, it has been arrogant mods most of the time. I haven't frequented many boards, but mods can easily kill it when they play God or play favorites.

Also, when I have seen a majority of posters actively seek looking for the negative in almost everything, I am done. For example the last board I left did have the question "what was the worst gift you ever received?" And posters were bitching about the question saying that anyone should just be lucky to have gifts. I was so happy when everyone here was honest about bad gifts and did not get preachy.

Here, we may not always agree, but at least there is usually someone who relates.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

What makes you decide to leave a message board?  Empty Re: What makes you decide to leave a message board?

Post by Chris Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:41 pm

When I find myself just disliking the vast majority of everyone there, and resenting the general attitude of the forum. Unfortunately, that happens a lot; posters will influence each other, or go along with a group mentality, and suddenly the entire forum has this same sort of predictable cheers and jeers attitude about certain things. You see that a lot of television show forums, where everyone blindly hates this character, but loves that one.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

What makes you decide to leave a message board?  Empty Re: What makes you decide to leave a message board?

Post by Tony Marino Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:49 pm

Before I came here i was on a board where the Admin played favorites and actually got violent with some of the members, always fighting with them and then banning them if he didn't like the outcome. He would always put his two cents into a conversation and it was always sarcastic. I was a moderator on this board and I left him cold because I could not stand his attitude anymore.

Another board I left the people were just plain hostile at times, if you didn't like their favorites you were out in the cold. They would also pick fights with each other and name calling would occur, it was just awful.

This is the first board where the Admin is actually nice and intelligent and can mingle in with the crowd and be a part of the conversation without being sarcastic and nasty and will bring up topics that we are all interested in. Also the people here are much more mature and if a heated debate occurs, it does not get out of hand because everyone knows that we are all entitled to our opinion. We may not like it but we don't fight over it and call each other vile names and such. I actually look forward to coming here everyday and its all because of the people, a great bunch of people from all wakes of life come together to share their lives and stories and its never boring! I ain't leaving here until Chris decides to boot me out and then I will go kicking and screaming Smile
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:51 pm

Tony Marino wrote:Before I came here i was on a board where the Admin played favorites and actually got violent with some of the members, always fighting with them and then banning them if he didn't like the outcome. He would always put his two cents into a conversation and it was always sarcastic. I was a moderator on this board and I left him cold because I could not stand his attitude anymore.

Another board I left the people were just plain hostile at times, if you didn't like their favorites you were out in the cold. They would also pick fights with each other and name calling would occur, it was just awful.

This is the first board where the Admin is actually nice and intelligent and can mingle in with the crowd and be a part of the conversation without being sarcastic and nasty and will bring up topics that we are all interested in. Also the people here are much more mature and if a heated debate occurs, it does not get out of hand because everyone knows that we are all entitled to our opinion. We may not like it but we don't fight over it and call each other vile names and such. I actually look forward to coming here everyday and its all because of the people, a great bunch of people from all wakes of life come together to share their lives and stories and its never boring! I ain't leaving here until Chris decides to boot me out and then I will go kicking and screaming Smile

Well in that case you're here indefinitely, because there's no way I'm booting you out Tony! Smile
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:52 pm

Chris wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:Before I came here i was on a board where the Admin played favorites and actually got violent with some of the members, always fighting with them and then banning them if he didn't like the outcome. He would always put his two cents into a conversation and it was always sarcastic. I was a moderator on this board and I left him cold because I could not stand his attitude anymore.

Well in that case you're here indefinitely, because there's no way I'm booting you out Tony! Smile

I knew you would say that Smile What makes you decide to leave a message board?  56354
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:54 am

When moderators moderate the members as though they are kids.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:57 am

I left one board because of one beligerant right-wing member who got away with being very abusive to the more liberal ones. He attacked me - the Admin let it go - so I went. (Actually, one admin banned him and the other let him back in) Another old hippie type left before I did. You come on to a place because you enjoy it, not to fight with someone who is dismissive of your logic and then resorts to telling you to "eat shit and die."

There was one young woman who stayed on that board for a while and in my lurking saw that she put up a valiant fight with this guy (defending my rep actually) before she left. The board has finally gone. All the gentle ppl left and there were just crass ones who could put up with each other - but where's the fun in that?

Interestingly, I had about 3K posts when I left and was a moderator on the Movie section. I still keep in touch with the young woman and a couple other expatriates on FB.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:39 am

I left one board because the mods were extremely biased and allowed really nasty things to be said about posters who didn't agree with them. This was a soap board and if you liked this one character, those who hated the character could basically do what they wanted and the mods would let it go virtually unchecked - the operator left everything up to the mods - but if you didn't agree wit them, you would get banned or penalized for the slightest infraction. We were told that we were supporting rape and deserved to be raped ourselves because we liked this character, who had raped a women 20 years ago and been haunted by it ever since. They would bash this actor and attack his fans on a regular bases. I finally had enough and it was then that I found TCC. I rarely go back to that biased, trashy board. I know a couple of other boards that aren't that different from the trashy one, though the posters like to think they're better. There are still some decent posters, but the haters run rampant on that board and the mods all but encourage it.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:46 am

I'm about to leave this one. I just don't feel the love in here anymore.

I'm playing. big grin . Seriously, I have never 'left' a message board for whatever reason. Esp.not because of a member(s). It ain't that serious. If I stopped posting at one, it was because the board was shut down or it died down noone was posting anymore.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:49 am

Nystyle709 wrote:I'm about to leave this one. I just don't feel the love in here anymore.

I'm playing. big grin . Seriously, I have never 'left' a message board for whatever reason. Esp.not because of a member(s). It ain't that serious. If I stopped posting at one, it was because the board was shut down or it died down noone was posting anymore.

My heart started racing for a second there, Ny. Can't joke like that. :biggrin: bear hug
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:16 am

im only a member of 2 others. janet xone, which i havent left there is a bit of drama over there right now, which doesnt really bother me cuz i dont participate in it. another is a differ janet board, where i peak in every now an then but hardly post.

but ive never left one, and agree wit nystyle, if i were stop it be becuz it shut down or no one posting
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:48 am

My heart started racing for a second there, Ny. Can't joke like that. :biggrin: bear hug

LOL. Me too Chris. Until I realized I had to scroll down. And Down. And, well you did it too. I'm waiting to see NY's punchline thinking to myself, "Oh you scamp!"

To answer the question though, I've never had a reason to leave a message board.

CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:55 am

Walked away from a few. I've never left in anger. The things that would make me do that are over moderation, childish behavior overall & drama. The last one I walked away from was pretty much run by a group of people who acted like they were still in junior high. They even have their own "private" area on the board. lol Always trying to get a rise out of someone to the point of them committing a bannable offense. Then when it happened they pretty much would do a virtual high five. Between that & their increasing mean spiritedness (it was a celeb board) & it was like a contest of who could come up with the most insulting thing to say about them. Had comp issues & when that was taken care of & all the bookmarks were being restored, I just never added them back. Life's too short to spend it acting like you're 10 & insulting people you don't even know.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:59 am

Really message boards were never really my thing, this is the only one I post at on a regular basis. I'm more of a social networker. . . in fact that's how I got here. Chris was a friend on my facebook and he invited me to join from there, so I did. But I do "like" a bunch of stuff on FB and some of the posts are annoying, but I never take it seriously. The Conversation Chamber is pretty much my homebase general MB and I have no reason to leave here! Smile
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:01 am

Usually cause of general boredom. Maybe the Mods make it so you can't post anything. The people are all impossible to have intelligent discussions with. The topics don't come alive anymore. I usually don't "leave" a board as much as simply stop going to it. It's often a gradual process where I just plain lose interest.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:21 pm

Chris wrote:
    Nystyle709 wrote:I'm about to leave this one. I just don't feel the love in here anymore.

My heart started racing for a second there, Ny. Can't joke like that. What makes you decide to leave a message board?  372971 What makes you decide to leave a message board?  672400

I'm soooowwy. K, I'll be good. What makes you decide to leave a message board?  56354
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:39 pm

I've never left a board...I just ignore the people that are annoying and keep talking to the people that I like. Unless you count the BBS "Chat Chat Chat" that I was on when I was 14. My mom let me get on there even though it was for 18 +, I used to do vampire roll playing on there (this was back in like 1994) and my mom invited the person who ran the whole thing over to our house. He came over, and he said he wanted to see my bunny Kurt (later changed to Courtney because I took her to the vet and found out she was a girl) that was in my room, I showed him and when I was about to leave the room he stood in the doorway, blocked me in and kissed me. I ducked under his arm and ran out of there (he was like 24 and I was totally horrified)...Then that night he told my mom that I had tried to have sex with him! He told her a bunch of lies about how I wasn't a virgin blah blah blah...I think he was trying to cover his ass just in case I told my mom about him trying to kiss me...So my mom came to me all pissed off and I had to explain everything to her and we left Chat Chat Chat after that...THEN he posted a bunch of photos of my mom's face on naked bodies *sigh*
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:59 pm

I used post at this one soap message board that I won't bother to name. The atmosphere there was always passive-aggressive, but towards the end of my run it had become a zoo. A bunch of silly acting hags, poorly masking their ugly attitudes with perky and sly bitchiness and phony sunshine. Meanwhile they'd get on pretend moralistic high horses over the actions of fictional soap characters, appalled at every little thing and going out of their way to be contrary. To get back at certain posters, some developed this very slick way of saying things w/o actually saying them...or would use posturing against or for certain characters as a way of underhandedly lashing out at the members they knew who they knew liked or disliked said character. I have a hard time being passive aggressive and underhanded with what I have to say. When I think you're acting silly or stupid, I'm inclined to say so. I don't wanna have to cloak it with just enough wordplay to stay within the phony perimeter. And that's what they did. I literally wanted to slap a number of its members.

And the mods, OMG! They made it so much worse because they tended to side with whatever "group" mentality was in effect and punished those who challenged it. I was given a number of warning points or was temporarily banned several times (if you exceed a certain amount of warning points, you're automatically banned either temporarily or for good.) When mods treat members like kids and play favorites, it MAKES you wanna misbehave out of spite. Here, my attitude is totally different and 20x friendlier because I haven't had to deal with pettiness from members or mods. My account is still active there, although I think I came close to being perma-banned before I finally said "enough" and willingly walked away. Haven't posted regularly there in almost 2 years. Good riddance.

tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:45 pm

TSJFan4Ever wrote:I left one board because the mods were extremely biased and allowed really nasty things to be said about posters who didn't agree with them. This was a soap board and if you liked this one character, those who hated the character could basically do what they wanted and the mods would let it go virtually unchecked - the operator left everything up to the mods - but if you didn't agree wit them, you would get banned or penalized for the slightest infraction. We were told that we were supporting rape and deserved to be raped ourselves because we liked this character, who had raped a women 20 years ago and been haunted by it ever since. They would bash this actor and attack his fans on a regular bases. I finally had enough and it was then that I found TCC. I rarely go back to that biased, trashy board. I know a couple of other boards that aren't that different from the trashy one, though the posters like to think they're better. There are still some decent posters, but the haters run rampant on that board and the mods all but encourage it.

Ha Ha. I know what site you're talking about. I don't post there that much anymore myself. I agree with you about the moderators being biased. I've been sanctioned on that site at least 4 times and complained to the head mod, but to no avail.

Last edited by tmontyb on Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
    Offbeat Oddity
    Offbeat Oddity
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

Post by Offbeat Oddity Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:07 am

I post at a few different message boards, and while I never really left them officially, there were a few where I cut back on my time posting and lurking.

One such board was a music board where I still occasionally post and lurk. I just felt the members were really cliquey and didn't pay attention to anything I was saying. That was still okay because there were some intelligent people there who opened my eyes to new sounds, but in the past year it's become more immature and a place where all the divas are worshipped.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:43 pm

Chris wrote:

My heart started racing for a second there, Ny. Can't joke like that. What makes you decide to leave a message board?  372971 What makes you decide to leave a message board?  672400

LOL so did mine, I was like WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!! NY don't even think of ever leaving!
    What makes you decide to leave a message board?  56354

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:23 am