What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining?

Go down 
+2
Forgiveness Man
Chris
6 posters

Why the Abortion Rate Has Stopped Declining?
It''s because of the recession
What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining? I_vote_lcap100%What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining? I_vote_rcap
 100% [ 1 ]
People have less money to spend on contraception
What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining? I_vote_lcap0%What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
People are using the abortion pill
What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining? I_vote_lcap0%What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
None of the above
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining? Empty
PostSubject: What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining?   What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining? EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 10:39 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/10/AR2011011006587.html

Quote :
According to a recent article in The Washington Post, the abortion rate in America -- which declined every year from 1990 to 2005 -- has hit a plateau in the past few years. Those on both the anti-abortion and pro-choice side of the debate want to know why.

"It's kind of a wake-up call that we need to increase access to contraceptives services so we can continue to prevent unintended pregnancies and the decline in abortions can continue again," said Rachel K. Jones, a senior research associate at the nonprofit Guttmacher Institute, a reproductive health research center.

The new data comes courtesy of a survey of 1800 providers, to be published in Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health. Though the survey didn't collect data on why the decline may have ceased, some speculate the recession plays a part. Women who might not be able to afford contraceptives could find themselves with unwanted pregnancies which they feel they also could not afford.

"One explanation is that women who were poor who found themselves with an unintended pregnancy in the middle of a recession who in other circumstances would have said 'Okay, I'll go ahead and have a baby' would just say, 'I just can't do this right now' and get an abortion," said Jones. "That would slow down the decline."

Another survey from the CDC did not show an increase in contraceptive use between 2006-2008.

The National Right-to-Life Committee's Randall K. O'Bannon believes the use of RU-486, the "morning after pill," is to blame. The survey found that use increased 24 percent and accounted for 17 percent of all abortions.

"The abortion industry has been busy promoting its products," O'Bannon said. "It's trying to change what the image of abortion is - like it's as safe and simple as taking a pill. That's certainly a major factor."

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining?   What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining? EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 10:48 am

There could be many reasons. I think it's because with something like abortion, it can only bottom out so much.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining?   What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining? EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 11:32 am

I don't know but this reminds me of something I was thinking of the other day. Some people praise abortion because of how terribly overcrowded the world would be if every child conceieved was born...well we've had legal abortion since the 1970s so WHY is the world population almost 7 billion if it's supposed to be so effective for population control?
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining?   What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining? EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 3:49 pm

I don't know why there is even a question about this if the morning after pills are included in abortion data. I think it would be better to track it in two different sets of data. Clinical abortions and RU-486 usage should not be in the same study because there is no way to track with accuracy how many of the morning after pills purchased are going to be used or if there was a pregnancy to begin with when lower doses are used more as emergency contraception.

But if this is to be looked at, discounting RU-486 as a factor, I think one big difference is that with each year, talking about abortion is becoming less taboo and more women are uniting together in their decision and can seek comfort, advice and instruction online. That is probably not the main factor, but I think that people having strangers online to talk about it is a factor.
Back to top Go down
femme fatale
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
femme fatale

Female
Rep : 46

PostSubject: Re: What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining?   What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining? EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 10:36 am

Its probably the economy. With so many people out of work, in between jobs and laid off, many probably can't stick it out with an accidental pregnancy.
Back to top Go down
CatEyes10736
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
CatEyes10736

Female
Rep : 126

PostSubject: Re: What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining?   What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining? EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 2:54 pm

femme fatale wrote:
Its probably the economy. With so many people out of work, in between jobs and laid off, many probably can't stick it out with an accidental pregnancy.

I think that has a lot to do with it too. In a recession, another mouth to feed can be a scary prophesy. Imagine how popular abortion would have been if it were legal during the Depression.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining?   What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's your theory on why the abortion rate has stopped declining?
Page 1 of 1