CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
MandyPerfumeGirl
Forgiveness Man
RobbieFTW
Nystyle709
stonestatic
alissain
Alan Smithee
Chris
12 posters

Married women and abortions

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Married women and abortions Empty Married women and abortions

Post by Chris Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:32 am

Do you think that a woman's martial status should affect the way abortions are perceived? In other words: if you're pro-choice, are you less inclined to agree with a married woman's decision to not have the child she and her husband conceived? In this case, do you think that the mans (husbands) rights should have more standing than if the two were unmarried?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Married women and abortions Empty Re: Married women and abortions

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:46 am

I’m pro-choice too and I suppose that on some intellectual level it shouldn’t make a difference if the woman is married to the man who got her pregnant but on an emotional level I can’t help feeling that it does. Even so, there are too many variables in the equation to just give a straight yes or no answer. For example, did they marry with the clear understanding that neither wanted children and after the “accident” the husband changes his mind and now wants to be a father but the wife still doesn’t want to be a mother? I’d have no sympathy to his parental rights though if he had gone so far as to sabotage their method of birth control. If the situation was that they both eventually wanted children but we postponing for financial or career reasons and the woman wanted to abort, I think it’s her right to do so but I wouldn’t applaud the decision. Likewise, if the procedure rendered her infertile or she couldn’t conceive later when she wanted to get pregnant, I’d probably tell her, “Gee. Sucks to be you.”
    alissain
    alissain
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 2

Post by alissain Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:22 am

Well....I can't understand why a married couple would abort their child if they are able to provide for it. I don't get it. I don't like abortion at all if its performed after 4 weeks as it is. If a couple has a few kids and don't want any more then either get that vasectomy or tubal ligation to avoid this altogether.
    stonestatic
    stonestatic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 24

Post by stonestatic Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:46 am

I'm not much a fan of abortions period, but IMO no matter how much a "choice" it is for a woman to have one or not have one, if she knows 100% who the father is then she has a moral obligation to take his position to heart and to heavily factor it into what she finally decides to do. That said, can't really understand why a married woman would wanna abort her husbands child.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:17 pm

alan smithee wrote:I’m pro-choice too and I suppose that on some intellectual level it shouldn’t make a difference if the woman is married to the man who got her pregnant but on an emotional level I can’t help feeling that it does. Even so, there are too many variables in the equation to just give a straight yes or no answer. For example, did they marry with the clear understanding that neither wanted children and after the “accident” the husband changes his mind and now wants to be a father but the wife still doesn’t want to be a mother? I’d have no sympathy to his parental rights though if he had gone so far as to sabotage their method of birth control. If the situation was that they both eventually wanted children but we postponing for financial or career reasons and the woman wanted to abort, I think it’s her right to do so but I wouldn’t applaud the decision. Likewise, if the procedure rendered her infertile or she couldn’t conceive later when she wanted to get pregnant, I’d probably tell her, “Gee. Sucks to be you.”

Married women and abortions 35166 . I would hope you would marry someone that you're totally on the same page with. Personally, if I was married and I got pregnant and I *might* want an abortion and my husband was dead set against it, I wouldn't do it. But I can't imagine being married and we totally disagreeing about a situation like that.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Perception shouldn't at all matter when it comes to reproductive rights. It's still the woman's body if she's married or not, but the RIGHT thing to do is to always consider the dads wishes.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:20 pm

Nah, it doesn't make much difference to me. Murder is wrong in both cases.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:47 pm

Chris wrote:Do you think that a woman's martial status should affect the way abortions are perceived? In other words: if you're pro-choice, are you less inclined to agree with a married woman's decision to not have the child she and her husband conceived? In this case, do you think that the mans (husbands) rights should have more standing than if the two were unmarried?

Martial status should in no way affect how abortions are perceived. Even if a married couple decides they don't want children and are prepared for it, accidents do happen. I agree with a woman's decision for an abortion no matter if she's married or single. Why have a child if you don't want it just because your married? Marriage brings no obligation to have children. The man's rights and opinions should always be considered, but in the end it's up the female, she's the one carrying the child. I sure as hell wouldn't have a baby if I didn't want it, despite what my husband said about it.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:15 pm

I can't get with the idea of a married woman not wanting to have her husbands baby to the point where she'd abort....but yeah pro-choice has to go all the way and accept all reasons why, no matter how nonsensical some may be.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:41 pm

I don't see how anyone could be pro-choice, yet have distinctions on who should be able to practice the right. Married, single, whatever, pro-choice is pro-choice.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:45 pm

RedBedroom wrote:I don't see how anyone could be pro-choice, yet have distinctions on who should be able to practice the right. Married, single, whatever, pro-choice is pro-choice.
    At the same time, everyone DOES have a line. It's not the same place for everybody, but everyone has a line.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:09 pm

Chris wrote:Do you think that a woman's martial status should affect the way abortions are perceived?

Not at all. Abortion rights are there to protect a woman's body…not a single woman's body. I would hope that any woman who becomes pregnant would consult with the father on how to handle the situation, but the choice is ultimately hers; no matter what her martital status is.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:02 am

I think my thoughts have pretty much been covered already. Legally there isn't even a question here, as every woman (despite marital status) is entitled to choose to have an abortion - or not. On a personal level (which again has already been stated), the moral thing for a woman to do is to heed the fathers opinion. Although for reason I think there is much more seeming sincerity on the guys part if he's on the side of keeping the baby than if he's trying to get her to terminate the pregnancy. But I'm getting off track there. The bottom line is that reproductive rights protect ALL women, not just those who're single.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 3:23 am