CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+11
tmontyb
Impact
CatEyes10736
Alan Smithee
RedBedroom
Shale
Chris
Supernova
CeCe
Tony Marino
Kral
15 posters

Things That The Internet Has Made Obsolete

Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Things That The Internet Has Made Obsolete Empty Things That The Internet Has Made Obsolete

Post by Kral Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:22 pm

Landlines
    Record stores
    VCR's

What else?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Things That The Internet Has Made Obsolete Empty Re: Things That The Internet Has Made Obsolete

Post by Tony Marino Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:24 pm

Clothing Stores
    Grocery Stores
    Book Stores
    Toy Stores
    Electronic Stores

You can basically order anything you could buy in a store online these days.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Things That The Internet Has Made Obsolete Empty Re: Things That The Internet Has Made Obsolete

Post by CeCe Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:29 pm

Movie rental stores

it's putting a dent in magazines & newspapers too.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:34 pm

CeCe your right its to the point where major newspapers are going to charge you to read their paper online. Maybe it is already.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:39 pm

Not obsolete. Not yet. We have four landline phones in this house, three VCRs, we still shop in the local stores, and we get a newspaper every day.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:40 pm

Definitely publishing. The Internet has sent several magazines that were prominent in the 1990s (like Life and Vibe) to their graves.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:38 pm

I don't think landlines will be going anywhere. For one thing my DSL runs thru my AT&T landline.

But even if not for that I would keep a landline with an old fashioned fone not dependent on electricity to operate. Ppl here who go modern are cut off when a hurricane knocks out all our electricity, while I am chatting away on my landline phone. With interspersed electrical outage your cell might still work, but the last big one that his us and knocked out 3 counties of electricity also knocked out the cell towers. So, good old landline was the way to go.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:43 pm

calling "information" for a telephone number
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:01 pm

Phone books
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:06 pm

Kral wrote:Phone books
    Yes! What a waste of paper that is.

And they keep delivering new ones each year to replace the old one that hasn't been opened.

Actually I do use mine. When I have an elmers glue job, I put the paper in the phone book. That absorbs the moisture from the glue and keeps the paper from wrinkling. So, they are not completely useless.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:52 pm

Faxing
    Radio
    Dictionaries
    Encyclopedias
    Cook books
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:54 pm

School reunions. You can just go look up members of your graduating class on Facebook.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:57 pm

alan smithee wrote:Faxing
    I wish!

I hate faxing - why can't everything be scanned and e-mailed. But old gov't agencies that run many businesses still live in the 19th Century (Yeah, facsimile was invented then - tho more mechanical than today's copier faxes).

I think what will keep many of these outdated technologies is the inertia of gov't control.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:56 am

Encyclopedias
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:59 am

Impact wrote:Encyclopedias
    Definitely! It's funny the way we used to look things up in a big book. Then at the end of the year there would be an update book covering the changes that took place. With the internet everything is available in real time.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:03 am

Supernova wrote:Not obsolete. Not yet. We have four landline phones in this house, three VCRs, we still shop in the local stores, and we get a newspaper every day.

LOL!! Hello!

I still have my land line and have no intention of getting rid of it. I still have my VCR too. I watch old tapes on it. I also buy the NY Daily News every single day to read at lunch time.
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:15 pm

Rand McNally maps.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:17 pm

tmontyb wrote:
    Supernova wrote:Not obsolete. Not yet. We have four landline phones in this house, three VCRs, we still shop in the local stores, and we get a newspaper every day.

LOL!! Hello!

I still have my land line and have no intention of getting rid of it. I still have my VCR too. I watch old tapes on it. I also buy the NY Daily News every single day to read at lunch time.

Cell/mobile phones get on my nerves, I've no use for them, and don't think I ever will. I have trouble trusting cordless phones.
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:24 pm

Supernova wrote:
    tmontyb wrote:

LOL!! Hello!

Cell/mobile phones get on my nerves, I've no use for them, and don't think I ever will. I have trouble trusting cordless phones.

Things That The Internet Has Made Obsolete Nbp4ba
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:46 pm

More like

Things That The Internet Has Made Obsolete Telephone
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:19 am

Modesty and discretion. Now especially with things like Facebook, Youtube and cam sites, people are becoming more willing to put themselves out there for attention and cyber fame.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:26 am

I woudln't say obsolete, but post offices, With how expensive it's gotten to mail a letter, I rarely do that anymore. I e-mail or call. The more they raise the prices for stamps, the less I send out in the mail.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:45 pm

TSJFan4Ever wrote:I woudln't say obsolete, but post offices, With how expensive it's gotten to mail a letter, I rarely do that anymore. I e-mail or call. The more they raise the prices for stamps, the less I send out in the mail.

That concept has always made me laugh. "Fewer people are buying our product so we're raising our prices on the few loyal customers we still have at the moment." It's not going to end well when a company does that.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:04 pm

Photo albums.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sun May 29, 2011 6:29 am

bump

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 3:30 am